looking for input 1972 chevelle

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 04:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for input 1972 chevelle

Good Afternoon all,
I am looking for some input.
I have a opportunity to buy a gen 5 camaro at a good price with low miles ,which ticks all the boxes in what I want for my long time 72 Chevelle.
(ls3,6 speed,better brakes)
My Chevelle has been in the family for 18 years but its is not original, currently its stripped of all interior and drive train.

Would you drop the 20k and strip the camaro and build up the chevelle ?

thank you for the input peace and grease
Old 09-26-2018, 08:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Drop 20k on a camaro to strip it? No I would not. buy yourself a LS3/6 speed pullout for your chevelle. You can get a low mile LS3 with 6 speed complete pullout for under 10k
Old 09-26-2018, 10:18 AM
Launching!

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Nope, you can get a combo like that for half the price of 20k
Old 09-26-2018, 12:02 PM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

While a complete engine and trans pullout can be had for under $10k, the other stuff can add up quick. Fuel system components can be scavenged, brakes, interior (if you're looking for a modern interior).....some high dollar stuff. I'm not saying it's another $10k worth, but with those 3 things you're certainly halfway there. Hell, you could even use the wheels/tires if you want 20s and the backspacing is right.....or potentially adapt them with spacers. I'm not sure what the leftover components are worth for selling, but I have to imagine the rearend is worth something. It's a lot of work to part out a car and sell stuff, but 5th gen Camaros are obviously popular, so I imagine there's some market for used parts.

Just food for thought.

-Jeff
Old 09-26-2018, 01:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 67 goat
While a complete engine and trans pullout can be had for under $10k, the other stuff can add up quick. Fuel system components can be scavenged, brakes, interior (if you're looking for a modern interior).....some high dollar stuff. I'm not saying it's another $10k worth, but with those 3 things you're certainly halfway there. Hell, you could even use the wheels/tires if you want 20s and the backspacing is right.....or potentially adapt them with spacers. I'm not sure what the leftover components are worth for selling, but I have to imagine the rearend is worth something. It's a lot of work to part out a car and sell stuff, but 5th gen Camaros are obviously popular, so I imagine there's some market for used parts.

Just food for thought.

-Jeff
Thank you guys for valid points,
Off the top of my head I know I can use the engine and trans combo, which I know is fresh and not abused (that in its self is huge to me ). I can fab up the mounts to use the stock camaro fuel tank and brakes.

The thing that gets me like 67 goat mentions is that odds and ends will add up fast cost wise. Im thinking I will add up the cost to build my chevelle without the camaro doner and see how far from 20k its goes.( ls,t56,bbk,full eletrical,complete fuel system,wheels,mounts for motor an trans, seats)

you guys are great thanks for the feed back
Old 09-26-2018, 03:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Thats a good deal at 20k for a low mile 5th gen , people are asking that kind of money for a clean low mile 4th gen ss up here(Canada) . It might be pretty close $$ wise stripping the 5th gen and a lot more convenient instead of hunting down all the required parts .You can also sell the shell after you're done to somebody building a drag car and recoup some of the money
Old 09-26-2018, 06:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I suggest that you buy a complete pullout LS3/6speed. You can get what you need to finish the swap for lots less than buying a complete car. Forget trying to adapt the Camaro stuff to your Chevelle. Buy the Hooker swap kit, a good tank with fuel pump inside and an aftermarket or rebuilt harness/tune.
Jarhead

Last edited by jarheadl34; 09-26-2018 at 06:43 PM.
Old 09-26-2018, 06:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Just make sure you get ALL engine-related electrical items. Control modules, gas pedal and wiring, etc. If in doubt, grab it. Better to have and not need than to need and not have...
Old 09-26-2018, 07:29 PM
Teching In

yeah no kidding I hear ya
Old 09-26-2018, 07:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think it would be cool to put all camaro stuff in a chevelle. Someone on here put all newer camaro stuff on an older camaro
and it looked pretty cool. If you are thinking about going all out with antilock brakes, traction control, all interior
bells and whistles, BCM, all that stuff I think you would be dollars ahead by having a complete running car to
get parts from, complete wire harness, and you could see how it all works. I say get the camaro, and you could drive it for a little while
and get to know the systems. And if you do make a build thread on it so we can watch.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:58 AM
Teching In

I like the way you think Slogo !!
Old 09-27-2018, 11:26 AM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm in the process of doing something very similar. I took a 2000 trans am ws6 with 12k miles and am putting the drive train in a 67 camaro. Machined the brakes to fit, Modified the steering column. Using the wiper motor to have delay etc. I also used and relocated the e-brake. I can honestly say it is nice to have a donor car for whatever it is that you decide you may want to do. Just my 2 cents
Old 09-27-2018, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 306 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikes67
I took a 2000 trans am ws6 with 12k miles
Where the hell do you find a 2000 with that few miles...???
Old 09-28-2018, 02:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mikes67
I'm in the process of doing something very similar. I took a 2000 trans am ws6 with 12k miles and am putting the drive train in a 67 camaro. Machined the brakes to fit, Modified the steering column. Using the wiper motor to have delay etc. I also used and relocated the e-brake. I can honestly say it is nice to have a donor car for whatever it is that you decide you may want to do. Just my 2 cents
Very cool a 67 camaro is the only car id trade for my chevelle for, please take pics Id like to see the build.