Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 swap RX8 continuation

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 07:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 swap RX8 continuation

Hey all, I'm working on swapping in an L33 5.3 into an RX8. The swap itself is mostly done, I'm just at the working out the quirks portion of it.

The original build can be found here.

I have a list of things still to do on this car before it's driveable really.

Since I got it last weekend I have done the following:
  • Removed the procharger since the bracket was for an LS2. I will be having the bracket machined to match the 5.3 pulley setup. Right now I have a corvette belt tensioner on it and it's running N/A.
  • Replaced the broken radiator fan with a new SPAL fan that does something like 1800 CFM (pretty great).
  • Fixed a leaking fuel line. The driver side feed line to the fuel rail was streaming out, I just replaced the whole line.
  • Re-calibrated the ECU for the 5.3 engine, was on the LS2 setup which was causing it to run a little rough.

There is quite a list of things left to do. Here is my current list:
  • Get a belt for the N/A tensioner
  • Measure the procharger bracket and figure out what dimensions it needs to be machined to
  • Radiator fan is currently reversed, so the wiring needs flipped
  • Radiator fan is hot wired I will be wiring this into the existing MSD ECU so it comes on based on ECT
  • Throttle pedal is stock rx8 modified, but it only goes 50% throttle. I will likely be replacing the throttle with truck pedal
  • Reverse doesn't engage. I was told it was the reverse tab, so I will be dropping the tranny and putting a new one in
  • Steering rack has a LOT of play. Huge deadspot in the center of the wheel, so I will be either replacing or fixing it
  • Tach bounces around more than I like above ~3k rpm, this might be a wiring issue. I have yet to dig much into this
  • Speedometer needs to be wired in
  • Boost gauge needs to be mounted and wired in
  • Turn signals do not work at the moment, this shouldn't be a hard fix though.
  • Get 8 rib pulley off the procharger and put the new 6 rib one on to match accessories.

Proof:

Quick Reply: 5.3 swap RX8 continuation