Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Range Rover LS Swap

Old 11-30-2010, 01:04 PM
Teching In

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Range Rover LS Swap

I had seen some posts here or there on this...has anyone on Tech completed this swap? I found an Australian site that has some conversion parts, which will help, but I still have a lot of unanswered questions before I commit to this. I was looking to use either an LS1 or 5.3L with some mild upgrades and refreshing and a '96-'01 Rover (auto trans). I'd like to keep the 4WD but it is not crucial. Overall goal is to have the simplest and most reliable setup.

1) There are parts to adapt to the factory trans, but I was wondering how the trans is controlled and whether this is an issue with an entirely different motor and PCM.

2) Will this trans be able to hold up to the extra hp/tq, especially if I am towing (open trailer with Camaro racecar)?

3) Is there any way to connect the transfer case (4WD system) to a GM trans, and if not...is there any issues to not doing so besides the obvious loss of 4WD?

4) Any way to get the factory gauge cluster to work? If not, could I drop in an old F-body one or am I stuck with building my own cluster out of Autometer gauges or an expensive Racepak?

5) Does anyone know what oil pan and accessory drive setup is preferable? I could figure that out if need be, but of course it would be nice to know ahead of time. Looking to stay with factory parts if possible.
The following users liked this post:
Vin Galo (09-11-2020)
Old 11-30-2010, 03:01 PM
Teching In

I just found out the answer to the first question more or less, the ZF 22 HP is electronically controlled, so I don't know if there is any way around switching to a GM trans. I guess I will just have to look into whether I can get a 4WD 4L60E to mate up to the transfer case or ditch it all-together and go RWD without causing some unforeseen disaster.
Vin Galo (09-11-2020)
Old 11-30-2010, 03:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

why not use a 4l60e from a 4x4 truck, u could probably get a drop out with a 5.3. i hope i'm not asking a dumb question being a newbie.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:08 PM
Teching In

That's pretty much what I just said...I just hope it fits. The ZF trans is pretty small from what I hear, so it would stand to reason the tunnel is small too. I just emailed a guy who makes adapter plates for the Range Rover transfer case for other GM transmissions, not sure if he can handle a 27-spline unit. Transfer cases and 4WD is definitely outside my comfort zone and current knowledge.
Vin Galo (09-11-2020)
Old 12-01-2010, 08:49 AM
Teching In

Update: found a company that does adapters for the Rover transfer case to a TH400 (Marks 4WD). Since they both have 32-spline output shafts, I might be able to run a 4L80E. Knowing that I am going to be towing, this trans is preferred over a 4L60E anyways. So now I just have to sell one of my other projects and pick up a Rover, I should be able to figure out the rest as I go along.
Vin Galo (09-11-2020)
Old 12-01-2010, 10:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a cool project. I have thought about this one in the past.

What year range rover do you want to use? Also, why a range rover... any reason besides the luxury appeal? (which is not a bad reason at all)
Old 12-01-2010, 08:32 PM
Teching In

96-01 but preferably 99-01. Always liked Rovers, just never the motor and electrical gremlins. So it is an attempt at best of both worlds. The company that makes the adapter says no dice on a 4L80E, which sucks. A 3.54 rear gear and only 3-speeds means it would scream on the highway.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheStache
96-01 but preferably 99-01. Always liked Rovers, just never the motor and electrical gremlins. So it is an attempt at best of both worlds. The company that makes the adapter says no dice on a 4L80E, which sucks. A 3.54 rear gear and only 3-speeds means it would scream on the highway.
Don't like the engine and electrical gremlins, huh? Sounds exactly like why I swapped an LS1 into my Jaguar!

This might be a stretch, but are the Turbo 400 and 4L80E tail housings interchangeable?
Old 12-16-2010, 10:16 AM
Teching In

Sorry for the delay...I don't think so, but will do some investigating. Found a good deal on a '96 model locally that I may have to scoop up if I can get my last project sold soon.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:26 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just wanted to throw this out there.

Why not run a manual GM transfer case with the 4L80E?

Chances are neither of the driveshafts will be the proper length anyways, so you'll probably need to have them made.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:00 AM
Teching In

Default idea

I tried calling the guys over in Australlia about doing this and they said they should have an adapter kit ready first of next year.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:12 AM
Teching In

Default more info

there is enough clearance with the pan as it is. these guys are supposed to have a kit for just the engine to use the original borg tranny or a kit to use the 4l60e. they will have the engine mounts as well. I believe the intent is to use electric fans versus the mechanical fans. I purchased a wiring harness from speartech that was $1300 with computer and all and according to these guys thats all the parts you need for the conversion. I would think if you go with the 4l60e tranny option you will have to have a special drive shaft made.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:26 PM
Teching In

Yeah you definitely will need a custom driveshaft, the Aussies told me as much. GM transfer case might be an option. My buddy said the TH400 and 4L80E are the same tailhousing bolt pattern. I wouldn't mess with the Borg Warner, sounds expensive to build and not the strong once it is. I'm game for a 4L60E as well, but was considering the 4L80E for more durability with towing and for ease of install.
Vin Galo (09-11-2020)
Old 12-19-2010, 09:17 PM
Teching In

the 4l60 is good if u put a kit in it. and its a heck of a lot cheaper because everyone bailed on them. the 4l80 is good out of the box I feel its just more about moeny and knowledge but yes due to the shaft being thicked and heavy duty it is far better than the borg tranny. I believe that they are a 1/4 in in length differnce so its not to much of a headache to install
Old 12-23-2010, 08:24 AM
Teching In

Yeah, I'm just hoping there is plenty of tunnel clearance, but I haven't heard anything from the guys putting TH400s in so I'd think a 4L60E/4L80E would be no problem.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:31 AM

Did you ever do this swap?. I've done th 5.3 swaps but would like to know if a 5.3 in a RR is possible.
Old 09-06-2014, 05:40 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jhjbg
Did you ever do this swap?. I've done th 5.3 swaps but would like to know if a 5.3 in a RR is possible.
Old thread, but this thread popped up on a search, but to answer your question.....My engine bay in a P38 Rover
Range Rover LS Swap-ls6-intake-wiring-web.jpg
Ended up with a 4L60E and made my own transfer case adapter. Problem with these is the offset front AND rear differentials, which rules out conventional transfer cases that came behind the Chevy transmissions.
I had to make everything myself, but it's worth it. EAS, HVAC, etc all work perfectly.
Martin
Vin Galo (09-11-2020)
Old 09-12-2014, 08:18 PM

Default Discovery II LS1 Swap

Anyone with more information on the how to wire the LS1 into the Discovery 2?

Here is the setup that I am planning on going with:

Engine----------LS1 5.7L.............300+HP
Transmission---4L80E.................Up to 440 HP
Transfer Case--LT230.................? Would like to know
Adaptor---------Marks4X4
Differential-----Land Rover..........? Would like to know

I have purchased both the wiring looms for the Discovery 2 and the LS1 motor and will begin to review to ensure that I can mate both together.

I want all of the original gauges in the car to work along with all other accessories. AC, Odometer, etc.
Old 09-13-2014, 10:45 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by leftlanetruckin
Old thread, but this thread popped up on a search, but to answer your question.....My engine bay in a P38 Rover
Attachment 467898
Ended up with a 4L60E and made my own transfer case adapter. Problem with these is the offset front AND rear differentials, which rules out conventional transfer cases that came behind the Chevy transmissions.
I had to make everything myself, but it's worth it. EAS, HVAC, etc all work perfectly.
Martin
Toyota transfer cases have the front and rear shafts offset to the Passenger's side. I don't know which side the Range Rover shafts are offset toward.

Many people have swapped GM engines and transmissions into land cruisers for decades using the toyota transfer cases with an adapter. You can get adapters to mount basically any GM transmission to the various land cruiser transfer cases. You rarely hear of transfer case problems in those swaps.
Old 09-13-2014, 07:01 PM
Banned

Example of an LS-swapped Range Rover

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Range Rover LS Swap