Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camaro/Nova 1/2" forward with Autokraft pan + Dougs headers

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 09:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Question Camaro/Nova 1/2" forward with Autokraft pan + Dougs headers

To help with accomodating AC, I'm thinking about mounting my LSX 1/2" forward in my '70 Nova, relative to the types of adapters using a SBC mount that shares a hole with the LSX mounting boss (like Autokraft or S&P adpaters).

For any of those running this pan or headers in a 1st gen Camaro or 3rd gen Nova, do you think there is room to do this? I'm concerned about steering linking clearance in front of the pan and header fitment around the PS box.

Last edited by -TheBandit-; 12-03-2010 at 10:26 AM.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:41 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What happened to mounting the compressor high on the passenger side?
Old 12-03-2010, 10:01 AM
TECH Addict

It's just the choice I've made for my swap. I plan on low mounting the compressor on the passenger side and running off the rear 4 groove pulley. I don't want to high mount it because I want it to run on a dedicated belt and I feel it looks cleaner. I can probably get this working without the 1/2" offset, but I want to understand what the impact would be if I can't.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finally got out to the car in storage. I measures about an inch and a half from the pan to the center link. I didn't have a jack with me to lift the front end and see what the clearance would be from the tie rod ends on a lock to lock though.

I then looked through all my pictures and I found this one. It still doesn't give you the tie rod end clearance but it was the best I could come up with.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:55 AM
TECH Addict

mike, thanks for taking the time to check this out for me. Judging from your picture, it looks like the pan tapers in the area that the tie-rod might otherwise interfere at full lock. (*EDIT* Interestingly, I found this picture of an AK pan that doesn't seem to have have that taper). I've come up with a method for a 1/4" forward mount instead of 1/2" and I think I will give it a shot. Based on your picture and the 1-1/2" measurement to the centerlink, I think 1/4" will be doable.

Thank you!

Last edited by -TheBandit-; 12-08-2010 at 11:04 AM.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:14 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just recently got a new autokraft pan and it has the tapered corners. Maybe it was a modification after the first runs of the pan to help with a problem when installing in some cars? Slight design modification?

Bruce
Old 07-09-2011, 12:58 PM
TECH Addict

Bruce, I talked to Autkraft and they told me the tapered corners were added to clear the zerk fittings on someaftermarket tie rod ends.

Quick Reply: Camaro/Nova 1/2" forward with Autokraft pan + Dougs headers