Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4 into a 1963 Plymouth Valiant

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 02:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LQ4 into a 1963 Plymouth Valiant

Hello. I have a 1963 plymouth Valiant Full tube chassis car that currently runs a 505 ci Big block chevrolet with Dart heads 13-1 comp and a single dominator. In this configuration the car runs 9.60s @ 142 mph. Its fun, but, with my current job I dont have much time at all to go to the track anymore, and am looking at making the car more streetable.

The biggest advantage I have is weight. The car in this configuration weighs 2900 lbs race weight. I have a th400 and dana 60 that I will also run with the LQ4. I would like to put the car in the mid to low 10 sec range to start with and have room to grow. It would be cool to have a car that I can run respectable times with at the track, drive to work a couple days a week, and than send the wife to school to pick up our son with it, lol.

The biggest pill to swallow is the platform change. Once I switch the car and wiring over to LSX the sky is the limit. A friend has a great running LQ4 I can pick up COMPLETE for around $400. Space limitation isnt a problem with the strut frontend. I can do N/A, or im also considering a budget S475/stock truck manifold turbo setup. Any guidance is appreciated. Im really excited about changing to this platform, the imformation out here on the LSx is MIND BOGGELING, lol. Thanks Eric L

Last edited by Prorac1; 12-10-2010 at 09:25 AM.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:22 PM
10 Second Club

Lol, heres an old picture (re: about 5 years ago) from when me and my son were wiring the car. This should give you an idea of how much room were working with. I could probably fit 2 or 3 LSXs in there. Eric L
Old 12-09-2010, 03:28 PM
rao
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That should be a lot of fun.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:33 AM
10 Second Club

I think I have my game plan set out. I plan on putting new berings and an oil pump in the LQ4. Any recomendations on what to run for an oil pump?

I also plan on replacing the rod bolts and switching to head studs. At what PSI are head studs a requirement? I have a friend with a Z06 cam hes getting rid of that im picking up. Any recomendations for valve springs?

I am planing on running a s475 turbo with truck manifolds. Any recomendations on Y pipe sizing, charge tube sizing, or intercooler sizing?

Intake manifold: Heres where I have no idea what to do. Ive thought about running the stock LQ4, or switching to an LS6. Ive also considered putting on an Edelbrock Vic JR with an Elbow and a stock LQ4 TB. Whats my best way to go?

To MAF or not to MAF? Is there any advantage to running SD over MAF or visa-versa? I plan on running a GM PCM. Since im starting from scratch with the wiring, should I go with an F car PCM, or use the 2003 truck PCM?

Thanks Eric L
Old 12-13-2010, 04:27 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool project! Mopar Heretics Unite!

I am in the planning stages for building my LS equipped 67 Valiant.

Based on the times you are shooting for, I would just copy DMMizell's extremely effective combo:
- carbed 6.0, stock L92 heads, stock junkyard Lq4 shortblock, Rapid Motorsports Dominator 2x cam. done.
- His mustang weighed 2900'ish and ran 9.87 @ 137.
- That exact engine is now in a 2800lb 1957 corvette running in the 9.90's through the mufflers on 93 pump gas and cruises to the drive-in.

The turbo plan is cool too, but this combo would certainly get you there with a lot less bother and less expense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE8vkJUWqdw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn719sol8hE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DY5_U8NSXVo

Last edited by topbrent; 04-27-2011 at 05:07 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:13 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks for the reply and input. My biggest reason for putting a turbo setup in the car is basically room. I have a lot of room. I would like to eventually run faster than I currently run AND have driveability. But I have given thought to N/A. I figure to run 10.0, in a 2700 lb car (approx. weight for a LS in my car w/o the turbo) would take about 530 hp to the wheels. Im just thinking that would be a lot easier goal with room to grow with a single turbo setup. It also helps that there are a lot more economically priced turbos and intercoolers out there that arent just chineese junk, lol. Theres guys out there that are making 700 rwhp with $100 ebay intercoolers and $700 BW turbos, its crazy. Eric L

Quick Reply: LQ4 into a 1963 Plymouth Valiant