Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSX Datsun Guys, COME ON IN!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default LSX Datsun Guys, COME ON IN!

What radiator are any of you guys running? I'm looking at going with a custom one, as the JTR radiator looks / sounds cheap IMO.

LMK what you think!
Old 12-14-2010, 11:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a custom one made by Howe Racing! You will never regret purchasing a radiator from those guys! Amazing prices and top notch quality with excellent service and turn around on top of it all.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm running a JTR radiator in my 240. Been running 2 years with zero issues.

The JTR radiator is just a stock GM unit out of I think an astro van. I wish it were about 3-4 inches shorter, but other than that I don't see how you can go wrong with it. $185 isn't a bad price, although I bet you could source one locally for less.

I recently saw and ad for an all aluminum radiator that mimics the Z radiator

http://wizardcooling.com/shop/Produc...aspx?BaseID=69

don't know that it is worth $200 more than the JTR unit. I also don't like the fact the alumimun bolts directly to the steel body. Aluminum radiators require some type of rubber isolators to prevent galvanic corrosion, not to mention cracking due to vibration.

You know the stock brass radiator will work for a V8 swap also.

But IMO aluminum is the way to go. Takes a good bit of weight right off the front of the car.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:44 PM
Launching!

leadfoot racing ( fleabay radiator), turbo sits within an inch of it and i never see temps over 210-215, 12 and 8 inch pusher fans come on at about 185
Old 12-14-2010, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Z33Art
Get a custom one made by Howe Racing! You will never regret purchasing a radiator from those guys! Amazing prices and top notch quality with excellent service and turn around on top of it all.
Link? Where are they located?

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
I'm running a JTR radiator in my 240. Been running 2 years with zero issues.

I've seen several guys running these, but if i'm going to buy a radiator, I'd rather not buy one with plastic tanks. Besides, its $325

The JTR radiator is just a stock GM unit out of I think an astro van. I wish it were about 3-4 inches shorter, but other than that I don't see how you can go wrong with it. $185 isn't a bad price, although I bet you could source one locally for less.

I recently saw and ad for an all aluminum radiator that mimics the Z radiator

http://wizardcooling.com/shop/Produc...aspx?BaseID=69

don't know that it is worth $200 more than the JTR unit. I also don't like the fact the alumimun bolts directly to the steel body. Aluminum radiators require some type of rubber isolators to prevent galvanic corrosion, not to mention cracking due to vibration.

You know the stock brass radiator will work for a V8 swap also.

But IMO aluminum is the way to go. Takes a good bit of weight right off the front of the car.
I've seen the Wizard Cooling radiators in person. There are a couple guys over on Hybrid who have them (1tuffz and EvilC) They are absolutely top notch, and apparently do an excellent job of cooling.

I'm going with an all aluminum one, fully tig welded. I've heard horror stories of guys tracking a griffin radiator repeatedly, and having the epoxy that holds the cores come loose, and cause failure.

Originally Posted by yessir
leadfoot racing ( fleabay radiator), turbo sits within an inch of it and i never see temps over 210-215, 12 and 8 inch pusher fans come on at about 185
Do you have any pics of your setup? what size is the radiator? Core size? Cross or down flow?
Old 12-15-2010, 07:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not sure where you got $325. JTR lists the radiator for $185 (#DAT-121), plus IIRC $40 shipping to the east coast.

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Datsun_Order.html

Sourcing it locally you can probably get it for $160.

OK I see the kit with raditor and mounts is $315. I made the mounts out of maybe $15 worth of stainless I got at a salvage yard. Don't forget mounts for the Howe radiator too.

There is something to be said for running an OEM radiator. It has a GM bar code right on it, would be pretty easy to get fixed/replaced if a rock takes it out in BFE.

Every vehicle I own has an aluminum core with plastic side tanks. Never had an issue. I did just replace the radiator in my 12 year old truck, but that was due to a leak in one of the cooling tubes, not side tanks.

It's your money, enjoy it.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a Howe 19 1/2" X 16" but then I have it in a LS1 610 ( you said Datsuns just not which model)I always had very good luck with the Howe radiators and the price is very resonable.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

After reading around, I think I'm gonna give Howe a try. Price seems reasonable, and if they're fast, thats just a plus!

Quick Reply: LSX Datsun Guys, COME ON IN!