Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 K-member on LT1 car

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 08:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 K-member on LT1 car

Background info: I have a 1995 Camaro z28 and i am swapping in a LS1 from a 2000 firebird which included the front clip (k-member, shocks, wheels, etc..

Alright so I did alot of research on this swap and i have been wanting to clean out the engine bay before i put the engine back in. So that requires me to put the kmember in and wheels so i can roll it outside our shop.

Except, the LS1 K-member isnt fitting. I have 3 bolts on one side of the k-member bolted loosely in the correct holes but the 2 rear bolts are off about 1/2 inch?

I am thinking about just cutting the holes a little bigger so it can fit in but just checkin if anyone with this swap has any tips for aligning the kmember?

Also, the steering shaft seems to be to short because when i align it with the part from the kmember its about another 1/2 inch short. When reading up on this swap i was under the impression that the k-member and steering shaft did not have to be fabricated to work and would bolt right in.

Thanks
Karl

Last edited by 95CamaroLS1; 12-15-2010 at 08:46 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:25 PM
Teching In

I did this swap with a bmr k member and it went togeter fine. As for the rack and pinion the lt1 style would not clear I had get an ls1 rack and pinion. The only thing I didnt like about it is that the steering turns a half turn farther right than it does left but I dont know if this would still b the case with the ls1 spindles.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:45 PM
On The Tree

Rack and pinion thats the word i was looking for, long day

When you put the kmember in, what all did you have connected to it? wheels and such? Cause after looking at it, it looks like I could just jockey it around and get it to fit. We will see tomorrow when i try it out.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Are you using the LS1 Steering Shaft?

As far as the K-member goes..get you a Pry Bar, let ur nuts drop and have at it. That is the same way mine was.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by the_merv
Are you using the LS1 Steering Shaft?

As far as the K-member goes..get you a Pry Bar, let ur nuts drop and have at it. That is the same way mine was.
Ahhh Merv i have been waiting for you

No I am using the LS1 rack and pinion and the LT1 steering shaft. (if thats the right terminology for the parts?)

Haha alright tomorrow ill go back out and show that k member whos boss...
Old 12-15-2010, 09:19 PM
11 Second Club

Haha..I've been busy with the new car and the Girlfriend..

Look for the LS1 Steering Linkage..get that and get rid of that Rag Joint junk.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:15 PM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you find any additional problems with fitting the K member? I am planning on going this route too....
Old 12-16-2010, 10:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by the_merv
Haha..I've been busy with the new car and the Girlfriend..

Look for the LS1 Steering Linkage..get that and get rid of that Rag Joint junk.
oohh a girlfriend?? How much did you get yours for? I have been looking to get one lately.. ha

Not gonna lie though, your new swap is my favorite out of the red Z and silver camaro. Must be a blast to drive
Old 12-16-2010, 10:34 PM
11 Second Club

Haha it's not running yet..Engine is going in the week after Christmas.

But yes, it will be a fckn blast..
Old 12-16-2010, 10:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RGSS
Did you find any additional problems with fitting the K member? I am planning on going this route too....
Problems? Well atleast for me, its a bitch! Havent gotten it in yet

Tried a couple ways to align the holes today but to no success. Plus i got a bad cold the other day so I could only go out in the shop for a little bit.

The hardest bolts (for me) to get aligned have been the rear ones on the k member that dont have any play where it bolts in. So i was thinking about getting two longer bolts the same size, cutting the head off, threading them into the hole and then put the k member in and use the bolts as guides. Hopefully that will work cause im actually gettin parts for the motor so i gotta finish everything up soon
Old 12-17-2010, 12:38 AM
11 Second Club

Man we had to use a Pry Bar & some man muscle..get a couple buddies if need be.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:55 PM
On The Tree

Gosh i feel like a puss lol. I was even using ratchet straps from different angles to move that bitch, nope, not one bit. Thats what happens when one guy is doing it himself haha
Old 12-19-2010, 07:05 PM
On The Tree

Went out today trying to see if i could get it, and it wont fit. The bolt holes are just off about a half and inch and doesnt move. I took some pictures to show whats going on. I really dont understand why our k member isnt fitting because everyone else that i have read doing this swap has it fit with no modification.

1st picture:
The sway bar holes arent aligned and both the passenger and driver side are equally the same distance from the holes.

2nd picture:
This is the driver side of the kmember and you can see that there is a gap between the body and that point. The same side of the kmember is pretty much flush to the body.

3rd picture:
Driver side kmember. The top two mounting points, which are yellow, are flush with the body and bolt right in. (except the rear bolt hole of the two had to be made bigger with the plasma torch about 1/4 inch) In green i show that there is a gap (same in previous picture) The gray lines represent where the kmember is behind the shock absorbers. The red triangle is where a metal doul is placed that fits into a guide slot. The guide pins are on both sides of the kmember and pretty much fit the kmember in a position where you cant move it side to side or horizontaly up and down.

4th picture:
This is the passenger side and all the bolts fit, the two top bolts and the lower fixed point all fits. (the two top bolts have about 1/2" play side to side and back and forth) You can see where the sway bar doesnt align bolt holes either.

This is really frustrating me. I just want to get the LT1 kmember and just fab the LS1 motor mounts to fit that. Because atleast i know the LT1 kmember fits. How come im the only one with the f**ked kmember that wont fit?
Attached Thumbnails LS1 K-member on LT1 car-control-arm-photoshop.jpg   LS1 K-member on LT1 car-driver-side-2.jpg   LS1 K-member on LT1 car-driver-side-bolt-alignment.jpg   LS1 K-member on LT1 car-passenger-side-bolt-alignment.jpg  
Old 12-19-2010, 08:51 PM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow those are bad news.
Is it possible to bolt the LS1 pedestal mounts on the LT1 crossmember, or could they be transplanted with some fabrication?
Old 12-20-2010, 12:51 AM
11 Second Club

The Sway Bar is easy..just muscle it in place.

My K-member was tight on the inside, yours is wide..we got it tho.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:18 PM
On The Tree

Found out why the kmember wasnt fitting.

Its bent lol

This thing was mind f**king me for the past 5 days, and i take it out of the car, look at it, and realize that its bent.

Sooo im going to use the LT1 kmember for now and just make some motor mounts. Than later i have plans of fabbing up my own tubular kmember

Quick Reply: LS1 K-member on LT1 car