Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4/T56 into my 69 Camaro

Old 01-02-2011, 08:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last but not least is my new IAC. I bought some M4 x .7 mm bolts and washers. I did have to modify the holes in the IAC to get the holes to line up. I didnt have to do much but something to consider prior to mounting. I do not force anything and damn sure dont like rethreading anything if not necessary. I did have a question about the intake throttle body seal. The used intake I bought didnt come with the o-ring but the new throttle body did come with a paper gasket. Would it be ok to use just the paper gasket or is a o-ring the best? Would I use an o-ring only or in combination with the paper gasket?

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-02-2011, 08:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tsnow678
Cleaned up the coil packs. It is amazing how clean they came out. [IMG][/IMG]
wow that looks great!!what did u use?i also just put a link up in this forum to my slow going swap.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tsnow678
Up top is an LS3 intake complete from a 2010 Camaro I purchased off of Ebay with 50 miles on it. Shipped to my house for $277. It came with the intake, injectors, fuel rails, bolts and the rubber gaskets. All like new and in perfect working condition. I am using a single line from the rear mounted regulator so it worked out perfect. The throttle body is a Professional Products 96mm. It came with the TPS, spacers, and gaskets for around $250 shipped. I put the drivers side valve cover on with no problem. New gaskets and grommets there too. The right side on the other hand was a biotch. The offset rockers are all in the way of the baffles inside of the valve cover. So after reading a few threads on here I decided to break out the zip wheel and commenced to cutting until I had the valve cover sit with out a gasket. I turned the motor over several times and no movement meant I would be good with a gasket. I originally was going to take a short cut and go carburetor with the MSD box but after reading an artical in a magazine about how to go fuel injection on a budget. I decided to go with the plan that best suited my needs. I needed a car to run without hiccups. I wanted reliablity. Rock Auto parts has a factory appearing gas tank with baffles and a fuel injection pump good to 550hp. It has AN fittings and a sending unit that works with your stock gage for $337. Beats the hell out of a Rock Valley tank for $1200. Not to say the Rock Valley isnt a show piece, because it is beautiful, but out of my price range. Plus I sort of like the appearance of a stocker. The new tank looks just like the original tank. I bought a 1998-2003 corvette fuel filter/regulator from Rock Auto parts as well. Most people are getting $100+ for these well Rock has them for $35 of course its not GM but its a Wix. And I trust Wix products. My plans are to run a braided line from the rear across at the trunk then down the left side of my car to the intake. I have already bought a T56 and am awaiting some more funds to go ahead and get a clutch etc. I bought a filler panel for my firewall from DSE to hide the hideous original opening for the A/C. I have a lot of work in front of me but one step at a time. I hope this helps some of you out. If you have suggestions feel free. If you have any questions also feel free to ask. I sandblasted the truck pulley tonight and laid some paint on to it. I used my new ARP crank bolt to hold her on. That is the baddest looking bolt I have ever seen. Quality is number one with me and ARP has it. I bought a 2005 GTO water pump and will be making 1/2" spacers hopefully tomorrow. The pulley sits back about 3/8" from where it needs to be but the pulley looks great. Its smooth and doesnt have the threaded end on it. It also exits out of the fron like the F-body pumps do. I will be using a radiator with both upper and lower on the right side. Once I get the water pump on it will be a matter of mocking up an alternator bracket. And maybe relocating the A/Ccompressor. [IMG][/IMG]
do you have model number on gas tank from rock auto,dont see it on there site?
Old 01-02-2011, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

here is a radiator i found
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Alumi...Q5fAccessories
Old 01-03-2011, 12:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Man this thread keeps getting better and better.

Keep up the great detail and attention to neatness, this is a good read for sure!!
Old 01-03-2011, 03:00 AM
TECH Addict

BMF= Look at #27 for the part number. You will have to go to Rock Auto, click on 1969, Chevrolet, Camaro,then Fuel and Air, and then the tank is listed on there. The part number is listed on #27 of this thread. I cheated and have Kerosene in my parts washer. I used the parts washer to brush these clean and then blew them off with compressed air. What is the title of your thread?

FroJoe= Thanks! Still new at the forum thing and have a tendency of repeating myself. My headers will be here today so a few shots of them will be in order.

Talked to Sam thats doing my wiring harness up and he said he is going to ship it back complete this week. That will be awesome. Hopefully that $502 was spent wisely, we'll see. Grab a hoist and a big shoehorn and we might just set this thing in shortly. I still have a ton of work to do under the hood.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:02 AM
TECH Addict

BMF= I hope this works. I just copied the screen shot of the Rock Auto website.
Attached Thumbnails LQ4/T56 into my 69 Camaro-rock-auto.jpg  
Old 01-03-2011, 03:03 AM
TECH Addict

Its a little hard to see but there it is BMF. Also the radiator you found is the exact one I liked. I am still up in the air on which one I am going to buy at this point. I would like to get everything else in and completed and then buy the radiator fan combo. Thanks for the information!
Old 01-03-2011, 10:28 AM
Staging Lane

Great build. Threads like these keep me inspired to continue and complete my LS swap into my 69 Camaro. I had the same concerns you originally posted and reasoning to do the swap. Also, considered the Moroso pan after I had fitment issues with trying to use a modified truck pan, then settled on an Autokraft unit which fits perfectly. Keep up the good work.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/chevrolet...camaro-swap.html
Old 01-03-2011, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

this looks to be it!
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1216811

been reading about some issues with these tanks,wonder if they have fixed the problems?
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=298281

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=186401

Last edited by bmf5150; 01-03-2011 at 12:21 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:13 PM
TECH Addict

i1Aroc= Thanks for the comments and I must say you have one sweet ride! Seems you need no motivation at all. That Rick's tank looks great. I will subscribe to your thread for sure.

BMF= you have me worried now. I read every entry on both forums and I hope I have the new tank. Can't see myself buying the Rick's at this point so I will check into this tank a little closer. I may end up modifying the new tank for the time being. I did plan on changing the pump out anyway. Not any use if its going to suck air. I will see what mods can be done to prevent this. I may end up returning the new tank and reuse my old new tank that was a factory replacement and run an external pump. We'll see. Thanks for the information.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Looking good! What are your plans for the AC? You may want to check out what I'm attempting with a low mount Trailblazer compressor, but it will be a little while before we see if it's going to work out. My thread is here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...00-6-0vvt.html

This thread could be helpful if you are considering using an OEM AC unit, although it sounds like you are blocking it off and going to Vintage Air or other:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...8-74-nova.html

And here is a thread on notching the frame if you want to put your compressor low.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...8-74-nova.html
Old 01-03-2011, 05:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here I'd my build with pics!
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1369420
Old 01-03-2011, 06:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here Is my build with pics!
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1369420
Old 01-03-2011, 07:10 PM
TECH Addict

BMF= great build you have going on there! You gotta love the round wheel well openings too bad the 69 is squared off. Hey I pulled the gas tank apart tonight and took a peak inside. I will post the pictures one at a time. I don't believe the baffle is causing any problems with fuel starvation. It measures
14" wide x 8" front to back and is 4" deep all the way around. It must be a newer style. I did notice a little corrosion above the pump where the lines and welded in to the top plate. Other than that it looks to be a quality piece. I appreciate you bringing this to my attention. Only way to know for sure is to install it and run the hell out of it. I will hopefully be ready to go in the next month or so.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:11 PM
TECH Addict

Just to give you an idea of the size of the baffle here is a shot of what it looks like drawn to actual size.

[IMG][/IMG]

After looking at the picture I guess I should have used a can or something to demonstrate the size. Sorry the air hose in the floor will have to suffice.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:14 PM
TECH Addict

This is a pic of the inside of the tank the best I could do with the limitations of the opening.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-03-2011, 07:16 PM
TECH Addict

And this is the fuel pump/sending unit assembly. Seems pretty beefy if you ask me. Simple design.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-03-2011, 07:18 PM
TECH Addict

Here is the actual part number from the manufacturer.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-03-2011, 07:20 PM
TECH Addict

And here what I got today. It almost give me a boner! Notice anything different?

[IMG][/IMG]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LQ4/T56 into my 69 Camaro