Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

66-67 A body radiator question

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 12:20 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 66-67 A body radiator question

Picked up a 66 Chevelle 4 door and a 4.8/4l80. The plan is to throw a single turbo on the 4.8 with about 10-12 lbs of boost. This will be the street car that the family can cruise in. I have already been through a couple of conversion so I have most of the build already figured out.

What I am trying to find out is what radiator people are using. I am wondering if people are using a down flow factory type radiator or converting to a cross flow? I would like to use a universal aluminum cross flow that has a more capacity than the factory radiator. The reason for this is the fact that the car will be FI and the intercooler will restrict airflow a bit to the radiator.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks and Merry Christmas!
Old 12-24-2010, 05:13 PM
TECH Resident

Im running a stock 65 down flow with A/C here in Texas no issues. I have a stock 5.7 LS1.
Old 12-24-2010, 05:41 PM
Teching In

I am doing a impala and I called B-Cool. They sent me a rad and fans with the correct inlet/ outlet sizes for the ls. Cost about $1300 for complete setup.

My last project, I got a rad from Northern and it works great but I had to source the fans, relays, overflow, etc.. seperatly and I don't think I saved any real amount of money.

Jeff
Old 12-25-2010, 08:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by jefferyallison
I am doing a impala and I called B-Cool. They sent me a rad and fans with the correct inlet/ outlet sizes for the ls. Cost about $1300 for complete setup.

My last project, I got a rad from Northern and it works great but I had to source the fans, relays, overflow, etc.. seperatly and I don't think I saved any real amount of money.

Jeff
WOW. I'd like to run a B-Cool setup, but damn, too much coin
Old 12-25-2010, 08:35 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

I am almost ready to put my motor in. I plan on using the factory 3 core cross flow radiator with a Taurus electric fan. The fan fits our narrow radiators perfectly.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:57 AM
Launching!

Thanks for the info guys. If I were going NA with the build I think the factory radiator would work perfectly. I might have to see what I can fit intercooler wise and see how much of the radiator it blocks off.

In my 72 the radiator is a cross flow and is much larger. The intercooler blocked off a large area of the radiator but it still cooled fine with the four core brass unit. It was not until the radiator started leaking in a couple of spots that I upgraded to an Alumitech unit.