Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SBC/PG swap to LQ4/4L80E: engine mounts

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 10:14 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SBC/PG swap to LQ4/4L80E: engine mounts

I've got a pretty basic question: if I'm swapping both the engine and transmission at the same time, what are my options for engine mounts? This combo will be going into a 1964 Bel Air (Impala), which has an x-frame rather than the more typical ladder frame of the later Chevy full-size cars. I know that I'll be fabbing a custom transmission mount since the 4l80 is so looooong that it'll nearly reach to the cross of the X. This question is about the engine mounts.

There are tons of SBC/LS1 brackets out there, but where do those put the engine? I assume that the brackets put the engine at the same place relative to the transmission bell housing bolts, but if I'm swapping both transmission and engine do I really have to worry about that? I'd like to position the engine as far back as I can without needing to majorly rework the firewall, and as far down as I can without the oil pan poking out past the frame.

Can I just use the stock LQ4 mounts? I got them with the engine when I pulled it.

Thanks for y'all's thoughts on the subject, Tom
Old 12-27-2010, 10:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The two most popular plate mounts are the Standard (S&P or ATS designed) and the 1" setback. The 1" set back would would put the engine rear flange to the same location as where the old trans would mate up (where the flange of teh SBC and PG was).

You can move the engine back more by moving the Frame stands (aka early BRP method), but with that 4L80E.. which is very large, you might end up cutting the Firewall and Trans Tunnel and as you said.. might run into the X-Frame ?

Ther were some X-Frame B-Body swap here in the forum, try searching for them.

Good Luck
BC

Quick Reply: SBC/PG swap to LQ4/4L80E: engine mounts