Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS guys: SCHOOL ME! (going from carbed SBC to fuel injected LS drivetrain)

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 08:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question LS guys: SCHOOL ME! (going from carbed SBC to fuel injected LS drivetrain)

Ok guys, newb to the board here with a 1950 Chevy and alot of questions after being a hardcore carbed/SBC guy in most of my builds...I know I will catch some grief for this post considering I could search most of my answers and I DID do a little hunting but not getting the direct answers I am looking for so here goes...

I am picking up a 5.3 & matched 2WD trans from a 2003 1500 series truck. Completely bone stock and unmolested. It is complete as off the dealer floor right now and I get to prep the truck for the pull.

I am keeping it fuel injected and would definitely love to keep the trans bolted to the engine and plant it into the new car. This is going into a 1950 Chevy that is currently running a carbed SBC & TH350 drivetrain, car has a brand new 21 circuit wiring harness in it so I should be covered with that.

I know I am going to pull the engine & trans together and leave it complete. I am going to gently pull the wiring harness for the engine and the computer.

My questions are, what do I need to keep and take off the truck in order to fire this thing up after I get it installed and can you guys give me a heads up on making this as easy as possible.

I think the truck has a fly by wire pedal setup on it. Can I still use this setup if I take the pedal assembly also?

Can I use the entire stock harness and just leave it all complete? Is it really as simple as a 2-wire hookup for making the engine run using stock harness & computer?

Will I have clearance issue using the stock truck oil pan with a mustang II crossmember? I just read that i will need special motor plates? My SBC currently uses a set of biscuit style Speedway Motors mounts so would i still be able to use them?

Do I need to pull the whole dash harness in order to get the correct wiring I need to make everything function? How much wiring from the truck will I need for the trans and all that? I would assume I can make my own wiring for the fuel end of the swap. I recorded the HOT ROD TV episode where it shows how to run a mech. oil gauge and where they talked about the coolant bypass hose or whatever and using a corvette returnless fuel filter setup at the tank so I dont have to run a return line all the way back so I will be studying up on that.

If there is any easy ways of doing a things such as a fuel system and install while keeping a budget please tell. I know I will have to build my driveshaft, modify the trans mount or crossmember and so on...

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:43 PM
Teching In

I want to see pictures!

I'm doing a similar build into a '73 Camaro. I can't answer all of your questions, but I have a few answers for you. The original SBC mounts won't fit (obviously) onto the 5.3. You can find places that sell adapting plates that bolt up to your old mounts and your 5.3. I'm not sure if one of the sponsors here sell them, but I know companies like Edelbrock and Dirty Dingo sell them. From what I understand, the truck oil pan will likely fit, but they hang a little low. Not bad for a show car, but speed bumps can make you nervous. The most popular oil pan for these kinds of swaps is the F-body Camaro/Firebird oil pan. I'm still in the process of swapping myself, so I can't offer any advice about the wiring/fuel system. Hopefully one of the more experienced swappers here can enlighten you.

Good luck with your swap!
Old 12-30-2010, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have some experience from swapping an LS into a datsun and an older camaro. It is possible to use the stock harness, and I don't remember it being very hard to use although its been a while. You will need the donor cars fuse box which is where the wiring will take place if you need to do any. I remember the only things we had to do was re-arrange the fuses and add wiring for aftermarket fans and connect up the power and fuel pump wiring, and a couple other small things. Be very very sure to count the number of ground straps to the chassis from the engine harness and make sure they are all connected otherwise you will have problems.

You do not need the dash harness unless you want to keep the trucks gauges for some reason. Are you trying to do it on a budget? If so you can still use some of the trucks dash harness so you have an OBD2 port for scanning/tuning, and just cut out the parts you don't need.

I can't say much about the fitment issues, since it depends on the car, but a good set of aftermarket adapter mounts should put everything where it needs to be. LS swaps are very common so I'm sure theres a set available for your car.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:40 AM
Launching!

Get the pedal AND the TAC module and wiring harness between the two. It's a small box on the other end of the harness from the pedal. You will find a LOT of good info here on the harness:

lt1swap.com

You will need to strip the harness down as shown. If you look around there, you'll see the 2003 harness broken down to every wire, and what you need to keep, and what to do with the rest. It's the only site that was complete enough to give me the confidence to do the harness myself (haven't done it yet!). You'll need the PCM reprogrammed to remove VATS, the rear 02s, the evap system, etc.

P.S. He shows a good way to do a CHEAP fuse panel for just the engine side of things, or you can spring for a fuse/relay box from Current Performance for $95. That's the route I'm going.

Quick Reply: LS guys: SCHOOL ME! (going from carbed SBC to fuel injected LS drivetrain)