Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to cut Ls oil pan for 1st gen camaro

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 08:41 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to cut Ls oil pan for 1st gen camaro

I'm about to drop engine into my 69 Camaro and would like to cut truck oil pan (if possible). I have read past threads, but have yet to find specific measurements or instructions for modifying ls oil pans. Has anyone modified these pans and have measurements,how to's, tips or instructions I can follow? Any info/pics would help greatly!!!!!
Old 01-03-2011, 09:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was originally going to modify the truck pan I have on hand. I bought the aluminum to complete the job. I have a spool gun and the proper wire to perform this task. After reading the pros and cons I decided to just buy a pan already made for my application. There are several reasons why you should avoid the modification.
1) you may never get the pan clean enough to weld it.
2) Your welding cast aluminum and this should only be done by someone with exp. in welding cast aluminum.
3) once you get it welded there is a possibilty of leaks.
4) your oil capacity will be to a minimum at best
5) you will need to modify th eoil pick up tube once you get the pan welded. And I have read this was a ***** to complete. You cannot have any air leaks in the pick up tube or the prime will be lost and that means no oil pressure or low at best oil pressure.

I was like you and wanted to do the job cause it seemed like a good idea at the time. Yeah its a little cheaper and you'll feel good that you did something most people shy away from. But in the end you would be better off buying new pan and be done. It might slow the process down financially but not having to fight leaks and knowing you will have the right amount of oil to get the job done will far exceed the set back. Just my two cents.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:32 AM
On The Tree

The seach function is your friend, but to save you some time, here's a link to a recent post.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...truck-pan.html

Having welded and weld repaired several pans, I strongly recommend you use the F-body pan and pickup if it will fit your car.

Even if you have to take a little out of the front of the f-body pan to clear your crossmember you will lose less oil capacity than shortening the truck pan to get it to the same ground clearance as an F-body pan
Old 01-03-2011, 12:21 PM
Teching In

The main reasons why I was wanting to cut an modify my pan was because I have a close freind who welds aluminm for a living and of course to save money... what if I do buy an f-body pan. What years would it have to be and where/what do I cut?

Lets say I end up just buying an after market pan, what would be my best option, cost wise. I really dont what to have to buy any additional parts becuse oi wouldnt know what to buy for it. I would rather just buy a kit with all accesories included.

Quick Reply: How to cut Ls oil pan for 1st gen camaro