Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 conversion motor mounts.. 1 inch back vs standard

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 10:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls1 conversion motor mounts.. 1 inch back vs standard

NOw i know there is alot of threads on here bout these plates... i have a 68 camaro and im putting a ls2 in it.. Some people said i should do the 1 inch back motor mounts but they mentioned i could have space issues with the harness. im still running the factory gto harness... why do so many people go with the one in back plates vs the standard? just for weight distribution? I think with the one inch plates there are also issues with the heater core lines.. let me know thanks
Old 01-04-2011, 10:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

1" setback plates put the LS engines in the closest place to small block placement when using the bellhousing as a reference. This does place the passenger cylinder head back pretty far since the LS engine place that head on the same plane as the bellhousing mounting surface unlike sbc engine where the head is ahead of that plane.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MeanYellowZ
1" setback plates put the LS engines in the closest place to small block placement when using the bellhousing as a reference. This does place the passenger cylinder head back pretty far since the LS engine place that head on the same plane as the bellhousing mounting surface unlike sbc engine where the head is ahead of that plane.
I see what you mean.. im running a six speed and im going to have to make my cross member... so i guess i should still go with 1" setbacks then
Old 01-04-2011, 10:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Gen III/IV engines are about 1" shorter that an Gen I / SBC.. if you notice on your Gen III/IV engine..that missing 1" is due to GM shorting of the block in that rear flange area... most likely GM attempt at trying to get as much engine in a more compact area.?.

Many ways to look at this.. one way is that 1" setback plate are really standard flange location (as MeanYellowZ stated) mounting plates.. and standard plates are really forward 1" plates... LOL...

But as you have also stated. weight distribution is another factor.. or just engine location due to the type of oil pan being used.. Generally the LS1 oil pan has a very long lower sumped oil pan and that is reason for using different plates to location the engine as needed.

Using 1" set back does position the Right Head very close to the firewall and heater core in/out let and can be a problem if not using BBC heater cover/core or aftermarket AC/Heater systems.

There are many reason to use one plate over another, but bottom line.. research what are the pro/con for each (what works and doesn't).. and then factor in Transmission type/location, oil pan configuration, front accessories (oem AC compressor) and headers.. one or many of these items will factor in as to which plate you will have to use.

And then there is just what works, worked out...
Old 01-04-2011, 10:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bczee
The Gen III/IV engines are about 1" shorter that an Gen I / SBC.. if you notice on your Gen III/IV engine..that missing 1" is due to GM shorting of the block in that rear flange area... most likely GM attempt at trying to get as much engine in a more compact area.?.

Many ways to look at this.. one way is that 1" setback plate are really standard flange location (as MeanYellowZ stated) mounting plates.. and standard plates are really forward 1" plates... LOL...

But as you have also stated. weight distribution is another factor.. or just engine location due to the type of oil pan being used.. Generally the LS1 oil pan has a very long lower sumped oil pan and that is reason for using different plates to location the engine as needed.

Using 1" set back does position the Right Head very close to the firewall and heater core in/out let and can be a problem if not using BBC heater cover/core or aftermarket AC/Heater systems.

There are many reason to use one plate over another, but bottom line.. research what are the pro/con for each (what works and doesn't).. and then factor in Transmission type/location, oil pan configuration, front accessories (oem AC compressor) and headers.. one or many of these items will factor in as to which plate you will have to use.

And then there is just what works, worked out...
IM running the gm colorado h3 muscle car oil pan and dougs conversion headers.. Yeah its preety easy to convert the heater box over by cutting two holes and buying a bbc heater core. which would give me plent of room for the lines
Old 02-18-2022, 10:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MeanYellowZ
MY 6.0ls for my gbody wouldn't work using the 1" setback it was all on the firewall..so I put my original clamshells in the very next hole on the LS adapter plate
Old 02-19-2022, 02:48 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

Mine, Dirty Dingo mounts, set back and inch, and I still see the bellhousing of my T400.
Old 02-19-2022, 02:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Mine, Dirty Dingo mounts, set back and inch, and I still see the bellhousing of my T400.
What kind of car? And did you delete your a/c box?
Old 02-19-2022, 02:59 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

1967 Camaro, here is an early build pic. No heater box.

Quick Reply: ls1 conversion motor mounts.. 1 inch back vs standard