Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lS1 emissions test?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 02:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lS1 emissions test?

I'm planning on putting an LS1 in my '82 corvette. I was wondering if I'll have to put all of the emissions control stuff on the engine. I've read that the F body engines have emissions control stuff but the corvette engines don't. So will it still pass without the smog stuff? Does anyone know what the policy is in Utah for smog tests? Will they use the test standards for the 1982 corvette or for the year and make of the engine?
Old 02-10-2004, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here in Illinois, we're required to pass the emissions standards based on our engine model year. What's nice about the OBD2 is that here all they do now is plug into the dash and read the PCM for codes. No more rollers or sniffers! If the computer says it's clean - you pass.
Old 02-10-2004, 03:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's the part I'm not sure about...if they do an OBD-II test, are they looking for no error codes or are they looking for "pass" diagnostics?

For example: mine has no fuel tank pressure sensor, so I disabled that with LS1-Edit. The PCM has no error codes set. During inspection, will that pass or fail?
Old 02-10-2004, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not sure about that one either. I've heard both stories. I've heard they can tell if certain features have been edited out and I've heard that it only looks for error codes.
Old 02-10-2004, 03:52 PM
TECH Addict

I'm hoping they just see my old '82 car and run the regular treadmill emission test. Even with my old 350 smallblock and a GM-HOT cam, it passed two iterations in 2001 and 2003 no problem.
Old 02-11-2004, 09:39 PM
Teching In

Default '01 with no egr?

Do you think I should go for an '01 engine just so I don't have to worry about it passing without the egr? I'm kind of worried about how they're gonna test/inspect my car with the new engine. I think they might want me to have all the egr stuff in tact even though the engine will be way cleaner than my 1982 350. So I think it might be worth it to just get the '01 engine that already has the LS6 intake and not have to worry about them not passing an older engine with an LS6 intake.
Old 02-12-2004, 04:25 AM
Launching!

Mark IXZD 150 you said:

"Here in Illinois, we're required to pass the emissions standards based on our engine model year. What's nice about the OBD2 is that here all they do now is plug into the dash and read the PCM for codes. No more rollers or sniffers! If the computer says it's clean - you pass."

Does that mean you have to have the computer for the dash ?
Old 02-12-2004, 08:33 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by tomj1404
Do you think I should go for an '01 engine just so I don't have to worry about it passing without the egr? I'm kind of worried about how they're gonna test/inspect my car with the new engine. I think they might want me to have all the egr stuff in tact even though the engine will be way cleaner than my 1982 350. So I think it might be worth it to just get the '01 engine that already has the LS6 intake and not have to worry about them not passing an older engine with an LS6 intake.
My old 355 smallblock w/ HOT cam passed both tests with no EGR. Run enough lobe overlap on the cam, and you get adequate EGR effect.
Old 02-12-2004, 08:39 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 67pete
Mark IXZD 150 you said:

"Here in Illinois, we're required to pass the emissions standards based on our engine model year. What's nice about the OBD2 is that here all they do now is plug into the dash and read the PCM for codes. No more rollers or sniffers! If the computer says it's clean - you pass."

Does that mean you have to have the computer for the dash ?
You need the OBD-II connector under the dash so they can hook up to it. The connector has four pins that need to be there...two grounds, 12VDC ignition switched, and serial data to the PCM. If you got a stock engine harness w/ your LS1, the serial data and one of the grounds is on either C220 or C230 (blue and white connector hoods, respectively). The other ground and 12VDC you get under your dash. If it's a 3rd gen Camaro/Firebird, the 4th gen OBD-II connector screws right in place of the old OBD-I connector, same holes and everything.

Quick Reply: lS1 emissions test?