Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 11:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default electrical problem

Ok. I cranked my ly6 for the third time. It was idling fine for a couple minutes then all of the sudden it died and I lost power to everything on the dash. After some meter checking I figured out that I was not getting power to anything that is key on powered. I assuumed I blew aa fuse but they were all good. Does anybody have any idea what's wrong. Oh yea the vehicle is a 79 c10.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Could be a blown fusible link, failed relay or just a connection/fuse that came loose. A bad ignition key is another possibility.

This should be a relatively easy one to find. Just start at the battery and start tracing along the power line until the volts go away. The intermittent problems are the hard ones to find.

Hopefully it is a one time failure and not a short causing something to overcurrent.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:33 AM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Check Again

Check your fuses by using a ohm meter, do not go by just checking for continuity or a visual inspection, fuses can look fine and can give you a good continuity rating till you put them under a load, the best method as I mentioned is to ohm them out.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it may also help to know that I connected my battery backwards by accident the night before and saw smoke coming from one of the fused links. My best guess is that is the problem but i dont really know how to replace one of the links
Old 01-18-2011, 01:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bfrank79
it may also help to know that I connected my battery backwards by accident the night before and saw smoke coming from one of the fused links. My best guess is that is the problem but i dont really know how to replace one of the links
Most auto parts stores carry them. They go by the guage of the wire. You just cut the old one out and splice in the new one. Here is a write up with details if you need them.

http://bebrs.pie-dabas.net/Webs/Terr...ble%20Link.pdf

This place sells them

http://www.madelectrical.com/catalog/fusible-link.shtml

I prefer replacing fusible links with an in line fuse, but the fusible links do have some advantages

Quick Reply: electrical problem