Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 fox project questions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 04:12 PM
The Wingman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 fox project questions?

Hey guys, Ive been a long time Pt.net member but never posted on here. Well now I've decided its time for an LS motor for my 93 coupe. Problem is I dont know a lot about the LS engines other than it's hard to beat the bang for buck performance. I've got two options here, along with questions for both.

Option 1- A wrecked 03 yukon with around 30k miles, trans, ECU, harness. Guy says I can start it and hear it run for $900.. A bank owns it. I plan on running a glide or a th400 so I could sell the trans/rearend and other parts and possibly make my money back. This seems like a good option.

Option 2- My buddy has a 01 or 02 6.0 with more than a few miles that was pulled from a truck because the gauge showed low oil pressure. They (the dealership I worked at) didnt even put a mechanical gauge on it before selling the guy a used engine. It has coils and sensors, no intake, no harness/ecu.. Guy wants $700.

Before I ramble on further let me ask this. Would it be more beneficial to stick with EFI and deal with getting the car tuned, (If I went with the complete 5.3 this would be a good jump on the project.)

or

Go with a carbed/msd setup (Since the 6.0 needs an intake this would work out)

I guess the big question is.. Is the 6.0 worth passing up the complete 5.3, as far as dependability, power capabilities, and a base platform to start with? Sorry this is so long but I'm new to the LS world and ready to get this coupe's front tires off the ground.. Thanks in advance for any help..
Old 01-20-2011, 05:15 PM
Launching!

What kind of car do you want to build? If you're on a tighter budget, the 5.3 Yukon looks good. I'd get it, and keep the EFI. If you're not comfortable with doing the harness, send it to one of the vendors (Speartech is popular for good reason), get the PCM tuned, and go. I think it would be the about the cheapest, easiest, and quickest route to get up and running, and you can retain the EFI. The engine will be known good, and you can sell what you don't need.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:26 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the 6.0 will make more power. if you want to keep cost down, get the 5.3 and sell the stuff you don't need or want. either motor, if you go carbed, you will have to buy an intake and msd box. that will run around $600.
so may not agree, go with the 5.3 and sell the usable parts from the truck and use that to upgrade the 5.3 and get everything you need to complete your swap.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:38 AM
The Wingman

Great advice guys! It's gonna be a bracket racer so I dont have to run 9's, but I would like to be pretty quick. From what I've heard and read, an ls in a fox is no slouch..
Old 01-21-2011, 08:51 AM
TECH Regular

Id look around, Ive seen 6.0s long blocks going for $550. Mine was a 2002 LQ4 I got everything, intake w/ injectors and rails, all sensors, ecm, harness, exhaust manifolds, water pump, a/c power steering pump, alternator, starter, flexplate, and it was $1030 shipped to my door. Check car-part.com I found mine there. also, carb or injected, go with what you are comfortable with. both have made great power.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:33 AM
The Wingman

Well I've always been a carb guy until I built this coupe but I never went far enough to worry about tuning.
If for some reason I miss out on this deal with the tahoe, I'd rather go ahead with a 6.0. I'll shop around and see what I can find.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:32 AM
The Wingman

UPDATE: I picked up the wrecked 03 Tahoe this weekend. Motor, trans, driveshaft, rear end, radiator.. everything is perfect.. A buddy of mine said its a flex fuel engine and has different injectors but I dont plan on using the EFI.. I also plan to use a th400 instead of the 4l60, so hopefully I can sell it to fund the rest of the car.

So far its gonna be a stock 5.3 bottom end, and the vic jr carb conversion. My buddy says he's got a set of "LS6" heads with aftermarket springs I can get for a little of nothing.. Any thoughts or suggestions on this?

Also any suggestions on a cam?

Last edited by LilRick; 02-24-2011 at 12:11 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:11 PM
The Wingman

No suggestions from the lsfox guys?
Old 02-24-2011, 06:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Call geoff at EPS and have him spec you a cam.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a friend who is about to dive into this swap. He hasn't researched it at all yet though. Will a GTO oil pan work with any of the stock k-members? Will any other factory oil pan work? I see alot of these conversions use an aftermarket K member. Are they necessary?
Old 02-24-2011, 08:04 PM
Teching In

yeah i'm looking into doing a ls/fox conversion myself in the next year or so,its the reason i joined this site was to learn the pros/cons of this swap....so what i'm saying is please keep us updated lol
Old 02-24-2011, 09:06 PM
Launching!

if you guys search theres whole threads that pretty much walk you through the build. the ls1 fox swap is probably the easiest most performed swap there is.