Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Craft Engine Swaps Magazine Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 09:13 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Car Craft Engine Swaps Magazine Issue

I just picked up a copy of the Car Craft Engine Swaps Magazine Issue. It is chock full of LS swaps, tips and ads.

I expected the issue to be a year or so behind the info on this forum, but to my surprise, there was some really great info in this issue. And, they were very honest about the Edelbrock header ground clearance issue. I was kind of surprised and please that they put accurate information ahead of sponsor butt kissing. I would recommend everybody who likes this forum section to grab a copy.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

what month issue?
Old 01-20-2011, 10:57 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by NemeSS
what month issue?
It is a special issue. All it says is "keep on shelves until April 2011"
Old 01-20-2011, 11:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if youre impressed im grabbing it; whered you get it?

edit:lol@your sig, story of my life
Old 01-21-2011, 05:18 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I picked it up too, I think the entire thing was bought and paid for by Holley, Mast Motorsports, and Comp Cams.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:35 AM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by Irish350
if youre impressed im grabbing it; whered you get it?

edit:lol@your sig, story of my life
I bought mine at Borders Books

Originally Posted by Jones'n
I picked it up too, I think the entire thing was bought and paid for by Holley, Mast Motorsports, and Comp Cams.
Commerce in action.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 148 Likes on 96 Posts

Car Craft and Hot Rod consist of pretty much advertising cover to cover. Just watch TV and it is the same

Advertising makes the world go round.....
Old 01-26-2011, 06:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I always look forward to the ads. Probably why I keep spending money on the hobby.

I have always thought it funny how magazines summarize cars by building a list of the name brand parts that went into it, right down to the brand of bearings and rod bolts. Name dropping must influence the hobby, look at a lot of people's sigs.

Who is the guy on ls1tech that goes on about “Justin Timberlake” cams? He has a point.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:02 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There would be no cool aftermarket parts for our cars without the advertising.I like the ads too,helps let me know whats out there.The engine swap issue is worth buying just for the collection of part numbers on the ls stuff alone.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:57 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My problem with stuff like this is it is biased towards the advertisers.
I have always read magazines and thought that they should do an article about a vehicle, and supply the reader with the information available about that particular vehicle. When I read an article about a specific vehicle and swap, then sure, it should be about who sponsored the vehicle, and give mention to the companies involved.
But when the entire magazine from first look is an attempt to offer up information about engine swaps of all sorts, it should also mention as much information about the available products as it can.
Instead, on the surface, it looks like a valuable book of information, but if you are knowledgeable about the industry, you start to notice that a lot of the information is simply fed to the writers of the articles by the companies that are paying for it.

Not much mention in any of the LSx swap stuff about the multitude of companies that offer different headers, mounts, wiring, computers, programming etc. Did John Spear get a phone call from their sales department to have any input in this special magazine? I would consider him a pretty good front runner in the custom wiring and programming stuff. But instead, the only solutions they offer are FAST, Holley, and Mast.

We don't like when our politicians, who are supposed to be about helping the people, do something that sounds good on the surface, until you realize they are pushing some company towards you because they are getting some money on the backside.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Advertising

Originally Posted by Jones'n
My problem with stuff like this is it is biased towards the advertisers.
I have always read magazines and thought that they should do an article about a vehicle, and supply the reader with the information available about that particular vehicle. When I read an article about a specific vehicle and swap, then sure, it should be about who sponsored the vehicle, and give mention to the companies involved.
But when the entire magazine from first look is an attempt to offer up information about engine swaps of all sorts, it should also mention as much information about the available products as it can.
Instead, on the surface, it looks like a valuable book of information, but if you are knowledgeable about the industry, you start to notice that a lot of the information is simply fed to the writers of the articles by the companies that are paying for it.

Not much mention in any of the LSx swap stuff about the multitude of companies that offer different headers, mounts, wiring, computers, programming etc. Did John Spear get a phone call from their sales department to have any input in this special magazine? I would consider him a pretty good front runner in the custom wiring and programming stuff. But instead, the only solutions they offer are FAST, Holley, and Mast.

We don't like when our politicians, who are supposed to be about helping the people, do something that sounds good on the surface, until you realize they are pushing some company towards you because they are getting some money on the backside.
Money keeps the little monkey dancing, as in anything that has to do with advertising if you want to play with the big boys in the end you have to cough up the money for the advertising and then figure out if the money you spent on advertising is worth it in the amount of business you receive from it. Yes, John at Speartech is one of the best in his field and I am sure he has plenty of work from just word of mouth advertising, and is probably ok with that, in business the thing that can hurt you the most is good advertising especially if you are not ready to handle all of the business you will receive from good advertising, in business you have to under promise and over deliver your services and products. Case in point: Mast Motorsports and their oil pan, people are still screaming on that one, Retro LSX the guy that left BRP that thought business is easy and that he can make a ton of money, but he soon found out it isnt always making a crap load of money and then you have to deal with all of the other headaches that goes along with having your own business, remember as they say if it was so easy everybody would be doing it.

Quick Reply: Car Craft Engine Swaps Magazine Issue