Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 Impala SS Ls1 swap questions.....

Old 01-26-2011, 05:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Impala SS Ls1 swap questions.....

Got a 96 Impala SS that the customer wants to swap a Ls1 into. My main questions are...what headers work good for this swap. We have some longtubes for the LT1 that have been nothing but burned plug wires...so a user friendly set would be nice. The biggest concern is the tranny. He has built the 4l60e that is in the car, but Im not sure if the LS1 wiring harness can control the older transmission. Are the plugs the same? Thanks for any help provided!

Chris
Old 01-26-2011, 06:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 96 Likes on 67 Posts

Some camaro long tubes (with light modification) or stock f-body manifolds will work. Trans connector is same as LS1 pinout as they are both 4L60e. Do not use the bolt at the 2 o-'clock position. If you attempt to drill and tap the block, you will hit water. Chk the Imp SS forum.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.brphotrods.com www.hotrodlane.com i went with BRP for the motor mounts and headers street & performance also has a kit also. but for the tranny one of those guys can help you out with that some guys can still use it they just get the pcm programmed to work with and you would also need a flywheel spacer for it to reach the converter. current performance is a good place to get the wiring harness reworked also speartech does good wiring too. stock drive shaft wont work need a custom one.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

You will also need the transmission spacer and appropriate bolts. I have the GM part listed in my build in my sig but there are other places to get them.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:12 PM
Teching In

sorry to high jack this post , but does any one know what kind of driveshaft upgrade needs to be done ? im currently in the middle of doing one and i was told my shaft is too short ??
Old 07-17-2011, 09:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if your using the stock transmission out of it your going to need to get a new drive shaft.the input shaft is going to be like 2 inches short where it wont go all the way in the tranny tail housing.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

All of the above is true. I hear that the Pacesetter "truck" longtubes fit pretty well. Only have to ding one primary. You can use the older tranny, just follow what everyone else said. Check out my post under Engine Performance at impalassforum.com

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 96 Impala SS Ls1 swap questions.....