Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Initial Start Up Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 05:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Initial Start Up Exhaust

I have a question about what exhaust you used for your initial start up after the engine swap. Did anybody tow the car to get the exhaust installed first, or did you just put some straight pipes on the headers or exhaust manifolds? I ask this in regards to the O2 sensors, where did you put them if you did not have a full exhaust.

I am putting an LS1 from an '04 GTO into a 65 GTO and I am plannig to use F-body exhaust manifolds. Thanks in advance,

Mike
Old 01-26-2011, 05:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started mine a few times with just the headers on no 02 sensors.They were installed later with the exhaust.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I've always run mine with open headers and O2's in them. Then I do the really trailer trash thing and drive to the exhaust guy. My neighbors love me, hahaha!

As shown...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNSw9Q0P3Dk
Old 01-26-2011, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 98 Likes on 68 Posts

If you can drive the car a short time before the engine warms up and goes into closed loop mode you would be ok as in open loop it ignores the 02's anyways. If the engine goes into closed loop, the PCm will see 450mvolts and read that as lean and dump tons of fuel all over the bottom side of your chassis. Just rent or borrow a trailer or tow dolly. Not worth getting the whole bottom of the car all dirty with raw fuel.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by aknovaman
If you can drive the car a short time before the engine warms up and goes into closed loop mode you would be ok as in open loop it ignores the 02's anyways. If the engine goes into closed loop, the PCm will see 450mvolts and read that as lean and dump tons of fuel all over the bottom side of your chassis. Just rent or borrow a trailer or tow dolly. Not worth getting the whole bottom of the car all dirty with raw fuel.
Why do you have to rain on my parade AK? J/K My exhaust guy is really close so it's not a big deal but it also depends on where the O2's are located. If they're at the end of the headers, no dice but on my Thunderbird they were really close to the engine and I have a long ways before the end of the collectors.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I drilled holes in the stock manifolds, and weld O2 bungs!
Old 01-26-2011, 09:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

I fired on open manifolds sans HO2s but only ran it a few seconds before building the rest of the exhaust

No HO2s will only throw a code if allowed to warm up
Old 01-27-2011, 09:18 AM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Raw Fuel???

Originally Posted by aknovaman
So let me get this straight you are saying if the engine goes into closed loop mode it will dump tons of fuel on the bottom side of your chassis?? So if you have a o2 fail or damaged wiring it will go into a closed loop mode and dump tons of fuel as well?? And exactly where does this tons of fuel come from within the fuel system?? Do you think that just maybe that would be a HUGE LIABILITY issue(you know the HUGE FIREBALL that is coming next) with General Motors?? Get real, and people need to take a lot of this information given on these forums with a grain of salt!
Old 01-27-2011, 10:10 AM
Teching In

Only thing I can think of is that he's assuming its tons of unburnt fuel getting sprayed out of the open headers onto the chassis. If thats not it, then I don't have a clue how that would happend.
Usually if you have a failed o2, it will just pop the CEL and run like crap.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:15 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll tow it to the muffler shop and get the exhaust put on, then I'll be set.

gofastwclass, great vid, do you have more?
Old 01-27-2011, 01:38 PM
TECH Resident

I am running stock manifolds. I had to plug the driver side o2 port in the manifold it hit my frame. I purchased the mating flanges off the cats from a salvage yard took them to the same place I had planned to do my exhaust. I had them weld some short straight pipes to the flanges with O2 bungs I took them. I then finished the swap drove it to the same shop weeks latter and they finished the rest of the pipes starting from the short sections I had already installed. I live in the sticks so the noise was not much of an issue. I also white trashed it 14 miles to the muffler shop.

What can I say I really white trashed it on my first test drive
COUNTRY BOYS CAN SURVIVE.......................
http://s282.photobucket.com/albums/k...t=MOV06596.flv

Last edited by rockytopper; 01-27-2011 at 01:59 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:17 PM
Teching In

Speaking of O2 sensors, where is the best place to put them? I was thinking of putting mine in the header right above where the collector bolts on.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:23 PM
Staging Lane

Great video, Rocky. The best part is the camera falling the dash!
Old 01-27-2011, 04:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

I love the big old C clamp, you could use it to take aim at pedestrains....LOL

Quick Reply: Initial Start Up Exhaust