Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC Compressor Manifold Lines

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 02:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AC Compressor Manifold Lines

I did a search and didn't find much on this topic.

Is there a prefered location of the manifold lines, (side or back) for a 06 GTO LS2 in a 67-69 Camaro? I understand that the side exit lines will interfere somewhere on the frame, I believe.

There is a back exit manifold style compressor installed on the one I am working on. Besides the pulley misalignment, (I haven't looked at that closely yet) this looks to be the best, but where would I find the manifold/lines that would work with an aftermarket AC unit?

My 10 Camaro (LS3) has the same back exit manifold and they fit nicely, going down but then they cut accross to the driver's side.

Also, can a Vintage Air type AC unit (I can't remember the exact brand at the moment) work with a factory type compressor? I have no idea if it's a variable type.

Thanks again!

Larry
Old 01-27-2011, 03:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 69-er
I did a search and didn't find much on this topic.

Is there a prefered location of the manifold lines, (side or back) for a 06 GTO LS2 in a 67-69 Camaro? I understand that the side exit lines will interfere somewhere on the frame, I believe.

There is a back exit manifold style compressor installed on the one I am working on. Besides the pulley misalignment, (I haven't looked at that closely yet) this looks to be the best, but where would I find the manifold/lines that would work with an aftermarket AC unit?

My 10 Camaro (LS3) has the same back exit manifold and they fit nicely, going down but then they cut accross to the driver's side.

Also, can a Vintage Air type AC unit (I can't remember the exact brand at the moment) work with a factory type compressor? I have no idea if it's a variable type.

Thanks again!

Larry

That is a topic of much debate but several of us are using the LSX VT comps with our oem factory systems. I am happy with mine and I drive in 100+ Texas heat. No it is not as good as my newer chevy truck but it does keep me cooled. If the rear ports clear your cross frame you can take the manifold you have and cut the lines bend as necessary and have a shop that builds A/C lines weld on fittings to mate to custom hoses to your factory system. That is how I did it. I used classic air here in Fort Worth they are local to me. http://www.docsblocks.com/ also is a good source for A/C fittings etc. If you plan on using the PCM to control your system (I did not) then you will have to put in the newer pressure switch inline. There are several threads on the subject. Good luck
Old 01-28-2011, 09:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

1st gen camaro (and 3rd gen Nova) subframes require notching to get an AC compressor in the low mount position. Here is some info: https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...8-74-nova.html

Alternatively you can use a Kwik performance mount for a high passenger mounting, which does not require notching of the frame. https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-feedback.html
Old 01-28-2011, 05:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I forgot to mention it's in the low mount position. The frame had been previously notched before I started on the project.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

YEAH. goto Doc's Blocks, What might help is differnet manifold. Check for a different one, maybe something there to help you modify your setup to work.

http://www.docsblocks.com/

I've also seen one that has adjustable port on them where the ports will rotate 360 Deg so that your hose will point in the direction you need them. but can't remember who markets it.

Last edited by bczee; 01-29-2011 at 08:17 AM.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:18 PM
Teching In

I know its a old post but I'm bringing it backup i nd ac lines for the 99 camaro compressor. called a couplke of junk yards no gd. any other places i can get these ac manifold's
Old 07-08-2012, 04:54 PM
Teching In

Guys dont know if this will help anyone here, but was talking with my AC guy the other day, I am putting an LSX376 motor in my car and it has a DENSO compressor on it. He said that several years ago GM found that the compressor being moved from the upper right position to the lower right position was found to be messing up due to hydraulic lock, the oil was actually settling back down into the compressor, so they tweeked the software to spin the compressor, just a few rotations, while the starter was starting the engine. This was enough to get the oil back out of the compressor and forgo snapping belts and other bad things to the compressor.
Like I said, not trying to hijack a thread but just figured Id mention it..
Also am looking for some lines to the compressor as well, it is a DENSO HFC134a, thanks and hope this helps anyone.
And if you dont have the stock computer or can not spin the compressor over while the starter is engaging, he said hook it up to a relay and to the starter, to get a few rotations on the compressor by this method.

Quick Reply: AC Compressor Manifold Lines