Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for Information: 1994 Camaro LT1 to LS1 Swap (Auto Trans)

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 02:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Looking for Information: 1994 Camaro LT1 to LS1 Swap (Auto Trans)

Just pulled the motor out of my 1994 Camaro Z28 so I could paint the engine bay to match the car. Here's a pic:

Figured while the motor was out I would freshen it up with a basic rebuild and some powder coating. During my brainstorming I realized that I had enough LSX parts laying around to build a complete LSX motor for almost no money at all. Basically I need to know what else is required to make this swap possible. So here are my questions:

1. The car is an automatic so that should bolt right up to the LSX with no modification, right?
Need to use an LS1 tranny and crossmember.

2. Do I need to use an LSX F-Body K-member, and why?
Yes, just cause!

3. Where can I buy a wiring harness that will accomodate the swap?
Speartech is good but expensive.

4. Which PCM do I need to use, LT1 or LSX?
Get an LS1 PCM.

5. Do I need to make any big changes to the fuel system?
Use a Corvette fuel filter/regulator and just use one line going to the fuel rail.

6. Factory radiator is good, right?
Check!

7. Are there any other custom or modified parts I need to include in my list of parts to buy?
Still listening to recommendations.

I know there are several swaps that have already been done but it seems like almost all of them have manual transmissions. I've done a seach but it is hard to filter through 10-12 pages of information to find what you're looking for. I would appreciate any input or recommendations in regards to what challenges I should expect during the swap. Thanks!

Last edited by CS Vette; 02-02-2011 at 07:18 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:46 PM
Launching!

1.) You will need a LS1 4L60E and cross member. When I first did my swap I used an auto and the LS1 auto cross member bolted right up to my LT1 body. Your drive shaft/rear end are fine.

2.) You will need a LS1 fbody K-member. If I remember correctly the merv used a LT1 k-member and modified it to work but it is much more easy and cheap just to get a LS1 k-member. The motor mounts/steering rack are not the same. I just used a full LS1 k-member with brakes/rack etc.. the only thing I used from LT1 was the brake lines. The LS1 lines do not bolt in to the LT1 ABS block.

3.) Speartech can modify a harness for your car so it is plug and play. The most clean and easy way to do it. Give them your info and a month and your set. the only downside is that it's not cheap at all. If you have the money its worth it. $500+ though. I just used the wiring harness that came with my LS1 and modified it using this site. It took a long time but with the info and help from this forum it was easy(kinda)

4.) Must use the LS1 PCM. Will need tuned and also need to change a setting for your tach to read properly. Anyone with HP Tuners can take care of you.

5.) I swapped from a V6 so I had to change to a bigger fuel pump. If you have a LT1 255 lph fuel pump it will work. That is what I bought. Also you have 2 fuel lines going into your fuel rail. LS1 has 1. You can buy a Vette fuel filter/regulator which lets you plug your 2 lines in and has 1 line out. Just need to see how big of a line you need and have one made at like NAPA. I bought mine from someone off here that did the swap.

6.) The LT1 radiator is actually better then the LS1. Some guys with LS1 rads switch to LT1. They are larger.

7.) That is about it. Do yourself a favor and search around on here. I read a ton of the merv's/others threads and learned a ton. I did the swap in my garage with a basic set of hand tools and no more knowledge then any regular guy. Good luck and post up with any questions.

Your car is badass btw! What hood is that and where did you get it?
Old 02-02-2011, 02:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're going to need the transmission adapter to use your original trans. A tubular k-member makes the swap easier, and then you can keep your original rack and pinion. Harness depends on which engine you're using but Ebay is a good source for new harnesses. You will need the LSx pcm. A bigger fuel pump will be necessary and you can keep the original fuel feed and return lines depending on if you're using a returnless style intake and wiiling to modify the rail. Stock radiator and fans are fine.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can not use a 94 trans it has to be 95+ with PWM torque converter lock up. You can find my swap details in the link in my sig.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:11 PM
Staging Lane

Great info guys! I'm going to update my first post with the following information and continue to see what people will add to my list.

-Stock LT1 radiator is fine.

-I must find and use a LS1 4L60E tranny and crossmember.

-The LS1 PCM is required (with modification for tach).

-LS1 K-member is required (which is fine because I already have one).

-I'll probably just go with Speartech for a custom harness once everything is in the car.

-I need to use a Corvette fuel filter/regulator so that fuel is "two-in one-out." Or maybe I could use a fuel rail off a 97 Vette with the two tubes?
Old 02-03-2011, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

-Stock LT1 radiator is fine. need to plug off the port lower left side

-I need to use a Corvette fuel filter/regulator so that fuel is "two-in one-out." Or maybe I could use a fuel rail off a 97 Vette with the two tubes?

The 97 vette rail would work but most want $200 plus for them so the $30 filter is what most do.

Quick Reply: Looking for Information: 1994 Camaro LT1 to LS1 Swap (Auto Trans)