Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about shifter location when using setback plates and RS600

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 10:58 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about shifter location when using setback plates and RS600

I did a search and got some good info, but I have a somewhat specific question so decided to create a new thread. I hope this is the right forum as I am doing an LS swap into my 2nd gen Camaro.

I plan on using a Keisler RS600 with an LS3 in my 76 Camaro. I would like to use 1" setback plates.

My question is how will using 1" setback plates affect the shifter location compared to if I installed an RS600 on a Gen 1 SBC? (I suppose it could be ANY manual tranny)

Based on other threads I read here, the LS motor is slightly shorter than the Gen 1 SBC, so using the 1" setback plates would put the LS block about the same distance from the firewall as the Gen 1 SBC without. If that is the case, then the shifter location would be unaffected.

Keisler will place the shifter basically wherever I tell them, so I am determining if I can tell them to use the "factory" shifter location as if I was using a Gen 1 SBC. Thanks in advance!
Old 02-03-2011, 11:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

When I replaced a SBC with an LS motor, the 1" setbacks put the motor very close to the original trans mating surface. Tough to say, but I think it may have even been 1/4" closer to the firewall. But there's probably enough room in the tunnel to use either 1" setback or standard plates.
I've got a motor with Speedhound 1" setbacks on it hanging in my garage if you want a trans mounting surface to mount measurement.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 76_TypeLT
I did a search and got some good info, but I have a somewhat specific question so decided to create a new thread. I hope this is the right forum as I am doing an LS swap into my 2nd gen Camaro.

I plan on using a Keisler RS600 with an LS3 in my 76 Camaro. I would like to use 1" setback plates.

My question is how will using 1" setback plates affect the shifter location compared to if I installed an RS600 on a Gen 1 SBC? (I suppose it could be ANY manual tranny)

Based on other threads I read here, the LS motor is slightly shorter than the Gen 1 SBC, so using the 1" setback plates would put the LS block about the same distance from the firewall as the Gen 1 SBC without. If that is the case, then the shifter location would be unaffected.

Keisler will place the shifter basically wherever I tell them, so I am determining if I can tell them to use the "factory" shifter location as if I was using a Gen 1 SBC. Thanks in advance!
Hi,

Just to help you on the figuring, here is some numbers for reference:
- bellhousing depth, 6.5inch
- shifter position from bellhousing rear face, approx 16.5; shifter hole is offset to the left.

When searching for mounts, ask the mfr where the engine face and crankshaft centerline is in relation to a factory smallblock. If they can't give this information to you quickly, there is a potential problem, and I recommend to check more suppliers.

There are so many companies now making LS mounts, it is hard to know who's works to the original spec. But when you ask them, they should know this.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by KEISLER
Hi,

Just to help you on the figuring, here is some numbers for reference:
- bellhousing depth, 6.5inch
- shifter position from bellhousing rear face, approx 16.5; shifter hole is offset to the left.

When searching for mounts, ask the mfr where the engine face and crankshaft centerline is in relation to a factory smallblock. If they can't give this information to you quickly, there is a potential problem, and I recommend to check more suppliers.

There are so many companies now making LS mounts, it is hard to know who's works to the original spec. But when you ask them, they should know this.
Thanks, I have a few places I intend on calling tomorrow so I will ask these questions.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by garys 68
When I replaced a SBC with an LS motor, the 1" setbacks put the motor very close to the original trans mating surface. Tough to say, but I think it may have even been 1/4" closer to the firewall. But there's probably enough room in the tunnel to use either 1" setback or standard plates.
I've got a motor with Speedhound 1" setbacks on it hanging in my garage if you want a trans mounting surface to mount measurement.
That would be very helpful if you don't mind.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Middle of the motor mount to the trans bell housing/block face is 15 3/4".
Again, that's with the speedhound 1" setbacks, which look pretty much the same as edelbrocks plates.
Originally Posted by 76_TypeLT
That would be very helpful if you don't mind.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:41 AM
Teching In

thanks for replaying back with that info, that is MUCH appreciated.

I called Edelbrock's tech line and they confirmed that using their plates will keep the shifter in the stock location, fyi.

Quick Reply: Question about shifter location when using setback plates and RS600