Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help...heads/intake/cam options; trying to use parts I already have

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 07:15 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help...heads/intake/cam options; trying to use parts I already have

I'm doing a 2004 LQ4 (58k on engine)/4L80E swap into an '87 Jaguar XJ6. I bought the engine complete with harness/PCM/accessories, TAC and pedal. I already mounted the pedal in the car. Here's the problem, and I'm looking at this in trying to keep to a low budget, yet make gains where I can if the $ makes sense. My immediate problem is that the driver's side rearmost exhaust manifold stud was broken off in the head. After trying to work at it (drill, etc), I've come to the conclusion that the head has to come off and have someone else fix it. Of course, the cheapest thing I can do is pull the head, have someone fix it right, and reinstall. I *think* the truck intake and accessories will clear, so I can use what I have. Another option I have is a set of unused Patriot 2.5 heads (I don't know any more specs) from a friend complete for $750. I'm wondering if heads alone are worth the gain, and if I can use the stock LQ4 cam with the Patriot Gold springs. I know, I know...get those heads, and a bigger cam, and go. Then I still have the truck intake. I'm not up to buying the heads, a cam, an LS6 intake, throttle body, redoing injector plugs, etc., as this will throw my budget too far off. I could swallow just doing the heads, getting the eng/trans in the car, up and running, and later swapping cams, and the heads/springs would be ready for the swap. Also, I'm not completely comfortable with the cam swap by myself on an LS1-style, but I can throw the heads on no problem. What do I do on my semi-limited budget?

PS - before I figured out I couldn't handle getting the broken stud out of the head, the plan was to go in bone stock, because it's cheaper just to get it going that way, AND I heard the engine run beforehand, and by switching a lot of parts, if this thing won't start and run right when I get it swapped, I've added more variables that could be wrong by something I installed wrong or overlooked. I'm sure with it running stock, it will be fast enough for a while, while I work out the bugs, and get the extras like gauges and A/C going. THEN I'd be more comfortable coming back for mods.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really don't know much about the Patriot heads, but your 6.0 probably has the aluminum "317" casting heads, which are worth at least $200... probably $250 once you get that broken bolt out. That's money you could put towards the Patriot heads!

Originally Posted by Earl Filter
What do I do on my semi-limited budget?
Old 02-07-2011, 08:28 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FastKat
I really don't know much about the Patriot heads, but your 6.0 probably has the aluminum "317" casting heads, which are worth at least $200... probably $250 once you get that broken bolt out. That's money you could put towards the Patriot heads!
They are 317s. On one hand, I'm tempted to just have the one head repaired, and move on. On the other hand, while the engine is out in the open, I have an opportunity to do things with less labor. I just don't want a simple mod or two to turn into an extra $2k I don't want to spend at this stage.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If that was my car, I'd just take the one head off and have the bolt extracted. That engine sits way out in the open, and you will have excellent access to the heads if you want to upgrade later. It's not like there's a cowl for half the engine to hide behind like the Camaros.

You still have a lot of project (and expense) ahead of you! Get it burning gas, put some miles on it, and then start with the upgrades. In hindsight, that's what I would have done differently!

Originally Posted by Earl Filter
They are 317s. On one hand, I'm tempted to just have the one head repaired, and move on. On the other hand, while the engine is out in the open, I have an opportunity to do things with less labor. I just don't want a simple mod or two to turn into an extra $2k I don't want to spend at this stage.

Quick Reply: Need help...heads/intake/cam options; trying to use parts I already have