Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

67 Camaro/ LS1 In tank fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 10:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 67 Camaro/ LS1 In tank fuel pump

My OEM tank from my 67 camaro is in excellent condition. I am looking for a brand, model number of a in tank fuel pump.
I am going to install baffles and a fuel pump in my old tank and am looking for some ideas. I saw online once an intank pump with a little small basket/ box/baffle but no I cant find it. Any help ideas out there.
Thanks for your help.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can try the Tanksinc.com fuel setup as a kit.

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/pa...prod/prd84.htm
Old 02-08-2011, 10:39 AM
Staging Lane

I ended up making my own. I tried the spectra efi tank for a while and had problems with starvation below 1/2 tank. I will post some pics later.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:38 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I seen a Tank on Ebay i think that was set up for what you are looking for take a look on ebay.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:31 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by firstgenguy
I ended up making my own. I tried the spectra efi tank for a while and had problems with starvation below 1/2 tank. I will post some pics later.
this is my plans...would like to see the pics
Old 02-10-2011, 10:44 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bczee
You can try the Tanksinc.com fuel setup as a kit.

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/pa...prod/prd84.htm
I used this setup with the original tank on my 67. I haven't got the car running yet, but it looks like it will be fine. As long as you don't mind cutting up your tank it's a fairly easy process.

Here's the before with some lines of the approximate location. I used a body hammer and a ruber mallet to flatten out the rib.
67 Camaro/ LS1 In tank fuel pump-before.jpg

Here it is all beat in with the hole cut and the ring tack welded in place. I'm workin with a little 110 MIG running innershield so don't mind the ugly spot welds. I used a 4" grinder with a cut-off wheel to cut the hole, then cleaned up the edges with some emery cloth.
67 Camaro/ LS1 In tank fuel pump-w-collar.jpg

All painted up purty. You can see where I located the Autometer fuel level sender.
67 Camaro/ LS1 In tank fuel pump-painted.jpg

Final product. The sender ended up being really close to the body so I slathered some silicone on it for insulation. It doesn't rub, but it's darn close. Once the tank is bolted in it really doesn't move, but I wanted a little insurance that it wouldn't short out. The silver line you see coming out from under the pump lid is a run from the cold galvinize paint that I hit all the bare metal surfaces with from the inside of the tank. Don't worry if the mating surface is not entirely level once you beat it flat. The ring has a ton of screws holding it down and the gasket that comes with the assembly is pretty thick. Once I screwed it down tight it all pulled into place.
67 Camaro/ LS1 In tank fuel pump-final.jpg

I don't have any pictures of it in the car, but it does clear the bottom of the trunk, barely.

Last edited by flyinsquirel; 02-10-2011 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you have shorten the support of the kit, I read that many did. due to the support plates/pump/pickup being deeper than the depth of the tank...? Guess it too late to see the pickup picture if you did..
Old 02-10-2011, 11:08 AM
Staging Lane

I had to cut quite a bit off, the Camaro tank is pretty shallow. It didn't affect anything though, still plenty strong, just really compact.
67 Camaro/ LS1 In tank fuel pump-cut.jpg67 Camaro/ LS1 In tank fuel pump-shortened.jpg
Old 02-10-2011, 03:41 PM
Staging Lane

What did you use for the sending unit?

I have seen some people leave the factory sender and just cut a new hole for the tanks inc pump.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:00 PM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I didnt want to modify my stock tank due to rust issues so i used a surge tank in the trunk to house a the High Pressure fuel pump. I used an external carb style pump that pulls fuel from the main tank and into the 1 gallon surge tank. Both pumps are in the trunk and are quiet and easy to replace. I will never have a cavitaion problem since the surge tank is always full. Each pump was about 90$ and the surge tank was made for free by my brother. I have maybe 300$ into the entire fuel system and about 9000 miles with no issues.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:42 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by greasemonkeychef
What did you use for the sending unit?

I have seen some people leave the factory sender and just cut a new hole for the tanks inc pump.
I put the Tanks Inc. unit there because it's the lowest part of the tank and I didn't want to cut a hole in the floor of the trunk. You could put the Tanks Inc. unit anywhere and use the factory sender if you were willing to start cutting holes.

I used an Autometer sending unit.

Quick Reply: 67 Camaro/ LS1 In tank fuel pump