Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering lines, double flair the O ring end?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 07:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Power Steering lines, double flair the O ring end?

I just put in an 05 LM7 truck motor into a 72 Olds 442. I've got the power steering pumps and lines from the LM7 and 442. The OD of the hi pressure metal ends of both hoses is within a few thousanths.
Is there any reason I cant cut off the tip of the LM7 hose O ring flair, put on a SAE inverted flair nut, and double flair the end? That hose end would screw directly into the 442 PS pump. Seems simpler and easier than adapters or making AN hoses.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:32 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pieces of flare

I did exactly that on my Chevelle. I cut the steering box side of the Truck pressure hose and flared it. Screws right in to the box. No leaks. Now I'm not to happy with the way it routes. I'll probably look for a 79 Chevelle V6 hose. It seems to have the O-ring fittings and hopefully will have the correct bends to route the way the factory A-Body hose does.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Sounds good, simple and stupid. Just like me
Old 02-08-2011, 09:42 AM
On The Tree

I did this too, it works great. I have Corvette accessories on an LQ4 and the corvette host is kinda odd on the pump side. Plus it's o-ring style on both ends. I used the end that screwed into the pump, and cut the 3/8" tube on the other side and double flared it. I had to use a union to add an extra 6" or so of 3/8" tubing to get it to the steering box, which I flared on both sides.

I came up with that because I thought of getting a factory Chevelle hose and factory Corvette hose and getting a hydraulic hose shop to splice them, but IDK if anyone would do that (for liability reasons), and flaring 3/8" steel tubing is easy. I worried about that hose for a while, but the solution is so easy. If something happens to the Corvette hose, I can get another for $15 and in about 10 minutes with a flaring tool I can replace it.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I guess I'm lucky because I have a shop that makes custom AC and PS hoses in my area. They took my factory Ford PS hose and my Chevy hose, cut them where I needed and welded a fitting to the Chevy end so it could be crimped on my Ford hose. I can't remember the cost but I think it was under $30 and it's been daily driven and leak free.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:11 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How about if you use the 72 olds 442 hose. You can switch the fittings that are in the back of the power steering pumps that way you can screw the double flared hose right into the back of the LM7 pump.

When you are doing that also switch the spring and valve between the pumps so that your using the factory 442 ones, as the spring pressure and valve flow are tuned to the steering box.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:21 AM
TECH Junkie

The truck pump has the fitting with the pressure sensor on the back. I'm not using it, but I'm not entirely sure what I can take apart. Is the spring/valve directly on the back of the pump?

Originally Posted by G-Body
How about if you use the 72 olds 442 hose. You can switch the fittings that are in the back of the power steering pumps that way you can screw the double flared hose right into the back of the LM7 pump.

When you are doing that also switch the spring and valve between the pumps so that your using the factory 442 ones, as the spring pressure and valve flow are tuned to the steering box.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:47 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
I guess I'm lucky because I have a shop that makes custom AC and PS hoses in my area. They took my factory Ford PS hose and my Chevy hose, cut them where I needed and welded a fitting to the Chevy end so it could be crimped on my Ford hose. I can't remember the cost but I think it was under $30 and it's been daily driven and leak free.
Oh that's good stuff. I found a couple places here that would do that. Even a mobile hose repair guy but I was working with what I had. For sure I will be calling a company like that to make me a pretty hose here in the near future.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by garys 68
The truck pump has the fitting with the pressure sensor on the back. I'm not using it, but I'm not entirely sure what I can take apart. Is the spring/valve directly on the back of the pump?
It's behind the fitting that is in the back of the pump. Once you take the fitting out, the pressure relief will fall out in your hand. That is another good option.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:25 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by garys 68
I knew I should have taken pics when I ditched mine. I had the stupid variable effort power steering solenoid on my motor too. You can unscrew that entire assembly off the back of the pump and trash it. The adapter that you unscrew out of your 442 pump should screw right into the back. If you check out this page http://jeffd.50megs.com/Pump_valve_mod_page.htm you should use the spring, fitting and valve from your 442

Quick Reply: Power Steering lines, double flair the O ring end?