Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ9 drive by wire with 2004r cable trans

Old 02-10-2011, 09:09 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LQ9 drive by wire with 2004r cable trans

Just purchased an LQ9 drive by wire motor less trans and I'll tell ya I'll new to the LS world. My question is, can a 200r4 trans with TV cable be used with this throttle body somehow or would you have to switch to a drive by cable throttle body. TAC module, harness, and pedal assembly came with the motor. Thanks for any info on this.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Pretty sure you are going to have to go cable. Or carb.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:35 AM
Staging Lane

yeh, that's what I'm thinking but I'd like to retain the DBW so how do you know what 4L60 would work with this motor and ecm or would any of them work and you have to program ecm to know which one it has. As I said, I'm old school but I'm now trying to learn about these motors and trans.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:59 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stevebbc
Just purchased an LQ9 drive by wire motor less trans and I'll tell ya I'll new to the LS world. My question is, can a 200r4 trans with TV cable be used with this throttle body somehow or would you have to switch to a drive by cable throttle body. TAC module, harness, and pedal assembly came with the motor. Thanks for any info on this.
From what I've gatherd, because I wanted to use the same transmission, you'll need the cable system to operate the TV cable on the tranny. Contact Bowtie Overdrives(California I think?) They have a linkage kit to adapt the TV cable to throttle cable. Hope this helps.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Whatever you get the computer will need to be told what trans you have (or in the case of the 200-4r have trans stuff removed). If you are considering keeping the 200 you should give bowtie overdrives a call and see what they say. I've used a couple of their kits before and am currently using one on my swap (not finished yet though).
Edit- looks like 2nd gen beat me to the BTO call.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:29 PM
Launching!

any reason why you could just run the TV cable in the firewall and mount it to move off the pedal movement?

Keep the DBW pedal, weld on a arm for the correct movement of the tv cable and mount the tv cable with the TB end bolted to the arm on the DBW pedal?
Old 02-10-2011, 08:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by typhoon1015
any reason why you could just run the TV cable in the firewall and mount it to move off the pedal movement?

Keep the DBW pedal, weld on a arm for the correct movement of the tv cable and mount the tv cable with the TB end bolted to the arm on the DBW pedal?
I thought about this earlier and dismissed it bc I thought the arc would be too hard to get with the pedal but I'm gonna take another look at it. Need a pivot point to swing the correct arc. Thanks.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The TV cable controls pressure and shift timing. You could put a constant pressure valve body in the tranny. That would keep it from burning itself up, but it still would not have the correct shift timing. You would have to shift it manually everytime to make sure it shifted when you wanted it to.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:26 AM
On The Tree

I believe I've seen someone on here modify a pedal assembly to have the electronics for the DBW and the cable connection for the trans.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by usc2001gc
I believe I've seen someone on here modify a pedal assembly to have the electronics for the DBW and the cable connection for the trans.
Yelp, it has been done, I don't know how efficient it is.....

Anyway you go whether cable or DBW with the pedal, the throttle position with the tv cable is going to be important or else you will burn up the tranny, easy and quickly.

Also it may be an investment to go with a 4l65e or 4l80e due to the computer sincrynization with the DBW. It will be less stress and easier on you peace and mind of always having to worry about the tranny.

The other key element is what year is your LQ9, 24x vs 58X reluctor.

Bozz

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LQ9 drive by wire with 2004r cable trans