Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Body swap header

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 08:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A Body swap header

After having my LS swap for over a year in my 72' Chevelle I finally have the budget to scrap the modified truck manifolds and throw on a set of headers!

I know it has been posted who is using what and I know brands like Edlebrock, Hooker, Dougs... make swap headers. But I am price shopping and looking for a cost effective kit with everything I need in the header department. I am looking for a coated header, something that will stand up to time.

Please post what you are running, where you got them from, and if you would not mind how much you paid.

Thanks
Old 02-15-2011, 11:00 PM
On The Tree

I'm thinking about going with the ceramic coated Doug's headers, any luck with fitment or ground clearance issues? I am running the Edelbrock mounts.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dougs fit well. The only thing is the primaries on the header are in the way of the spark plug boot. I use msd's multi angle sprak pug wire set. My engine is mounted with transdapt adapter plates and sbc motor mounts. Also its raised an 1" cause the motor is sitting up on aluminum blocks to clear the power steering pulley. The headers hang a little bit above the frame.
Edit: I went with the dougs headers cause they have the bungs for the 02 sensors already on them and they have thicker flanges than the hooker's.

Last edited by 69cutlassrkt; 02-17-2011 at 11:29 AM.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:49 PM
On The Tree

Thanks, anybody use the edelbrock headers? I have the Edelbrock mounts.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Seagram's 72
Some other threads have said Edelbrock discontinued them so if you want a set you'd better move fast.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by rpol78
Some other threads have said Edelbrock discontinued them so if you want a set you'd better move fast.
I ordered a set today from Jegs($539),they had 4 sets left in inventory and then that was it. They confirmed that the 68-72 "A" body headers for ls1 were discontinued.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:31 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

I bought the Doug's because I saw the Edelbrock headers in person on a 65 and the ground clearance was terrible. I will probably install them in March.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TheGoatof69
I ordered a set today from Jegs($539),they had 4 sets left in inventory and then that was it. They confirmed that the 68-72 "A" body headers for ls1 were discontinued.
I was wondering about this. Anyone know why they are discontinuing them?
Old 02-18-2011, 06:48 AM
Old School Heavy

I was wondering about this. Anyone know why they are discontinuing them?
I read another post where somebody said an Edelbrock representative claimed lack of interest. I am very skeptical of this reason as Edelbrock makes some of the most odd ball pieces for very low volume markets. I would suspect it has something more to do with their ground clearance issues, stainless quality or a falling out with the sub-contractor.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:42 AM
Teching In

Hi Andy-
I'm SteveS on the Northstar Chevelle site. Derek and I both have the edelbrock headers bought, but neither of us have them bolted in yet. Hopefully in the next week or two one of us can let you know how the ground clearance is.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:18 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sbsrkh
Hi Andy-
I'm SteveS on the Northstar Chevelle site. Derek and I both have the edelbrock headers bought, but neither of us have them bolted in yet. Hopefully in the next week or two one of us can let you know how the ground clearance is.
I PM'd Derek about this a few days ago because I remember him saying he has running Edelbrock's. Otherwise Summit pulled em and Jegs pulled em so I may go with Doug's.

Hookers are great, but they seem more expensive than the Dougs and come with less components. Also all of the Hookers I have owned in the past on sbc and bbc's have hung really low which I am trying to avoid.

Let me know how they fit though either way. See you at Ellingson's Saturday if you are heading down.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:20 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by speedtigger
I read another post where somebody said an Edelbrock representative claimed lack of interest. I am very skeptical of this reason as Edelbrock makes some of the most odd ball pieces for very low volume markets. I would suspect it has something more to do with their ground clearance issues, stainless quality or a falling out with the sub-contractor.
I thought these would be one of there more popular LS swap products, they offer a full exhaust style to go with it. Yet the $1400 price tag keeps that out of my budget.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had the Edelbrock on my 71 Chevelle for about 5 years.. too bad if they are discontinued.. for me they fit well.. no contact of the frame or anything.

They do hang down a bit, my Chevelle is lowered so I have scraped them on Speed bumps .. but nothing new for other cars of the past.

It is not a daily driver and is alway parked inside.. so Rust will not be a factor for me.. so I can't speak to other who have reported it on theirs...

I also have a set for my 71 Nova that is in build stage.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:07 PM
Launching!

wow I have not been on here for some time. I was not aware of Edelbrock no longer making the headers. I will call them on Monday as I buy direct and see if I can get my hand on some of them. I need a set for my car as well.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I went with the Doug's. They tuck up the highest into the floor pan of any out there. Be aware that you may need to modify or rebuild a trans crossmember since the collectors will be a VERY tight fit. I have used many sets of Doug's in the past and this is a consistent situation, but well worth the extra work. They also come with the O2 extensions you will need.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:02 PM
Launching!

will the dougs headers work with the edelbrock mounts?
Old 02-21-2011, 10:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 71 chevelle
will the dougs headers work with the edelbrock mounts?
I am about to find that out in the next week. Ordered a set of Doug's last night and have the Edelbrock mounts.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:05 PM
On The Tree

Wow I am impressed by Doug's. It took about 15 minutes total to get these mocked up (granted my front clip is off). I took some pics, but they turned out horrible. Drivers side went in from the bottom no problem without removing oil filter and only removing plugs. Pass side slipped in from the top without removing the starter and only removing the plugs. Great workmanship on these. Ample clearance from frame, control arm "cups" that stick out in the back, and tranny bellhousing. They sit almost exactly at the same height as the frame/ front cradle so no ground clearance issues. They do sit very close to the block on the starter side so I will have to shield those wires, but hey its easier to move the wires than a frame! Great workmanship. Would buy again. This is an LQ4 with the Edelbrock mounting plates, short and wide frame mounts with prothane engine mounts in a 1972 chassis.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:18 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 69cutlassrkt
My dougs fit well. The only thing is the primaries on the header are in the way of the spark plug boot. I use msd's multi angle sprak pug wire set. My engine is mounted with transdapt adapter plates and sbc motor mounts. Also its raised an 1" cause the motor is sitting up on aluminum blocks to clear the power steering pulley. The headers hang a little bit above the frame.
Edit: I went with the dougs headers cause they have the bungs for the 02 sensors already on them and they have thicker flanges than the hooker's.
So I have the hookers in my 65...and the factory plug wires very much hit the primaries... what wires have you guys been using and how close is too close???
Old 05-19-2011, 06:57 AM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by kevinciaran
So I have the hookers in my 65...and the factory plug wires very much hit the primaries... what wires have you guys been using and how close is too close???
I have the MSD wires and the boots are bendable to the angle you need. Works with my Doug's headers no problem.

Quick Reply: A Body swap header