Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help.......GTO Gauge Module

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 09:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 167 Likes on 97 Posts

Default Need Help.......GTO Gauge Module

I built my street rod with 2006 GTO LS2 drivetrain......I also used the GTO gauge module that I built into the dash......All the functions work as per factory...the only issue that I have is the ABS warning flashes and beeps every minute and it gets a little annoying.....I have a Speartech harness, 2006 GTO ECM,Trans module, BCM, and PIM..........I do not have the brake control module.......anyone know how to satisfy the system to remove this fault...
Here's a link to the build...
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...2-install.html

I'm so close to having a perfect system but I am not smart enough to figure it out......LOL.........I know there is someone here that can help......

Thanks in advance

Ken
Old 02-18-2011, 09:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get someone with HP Tuners to turn it off
Old 02-19-2011, 03:38 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HP Tuners won't turn it off. It can't get into that part of the programs. You will need to send the cluster to a shop that works on them to delete the abs out of the driver information center.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:46 AM
Teching In

That is sick, props on the build...
Old 02-19-2011, 06:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SamHatco
HP Tuners won't turn it off. It can't get into that part of the programs. You will need to send the cluster to a shop that works on them to delete the abs out of the driver information center.
Sam.................I talked to Dwight?? at the Speedometer shop and he said he couldn't do it........Said, as I remember....that there would have to be a voltage signal sent to the BCM to satisfy the fault........But, I've been trying since the last time we talked about this to get a hold of the guy he told me would be able to answer the question, but he won't respond.....so.....here we go again....That's why iI'm back with the same question............At this point I have the dash and gauge module out of the car so I'm open to any suggestions.........

Ken
Old 02-19-2011, 09:49 AM
TECH Resident

Open the back of the cluster and snip a wire going to the LED/Bulb.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bowtie70SS
Open the back of the cluster and snip a wire going to the LED/Bulb.

I wish it was that easy........The warning over rides the normal functions of the module along with the Beeping...........

Ken
Old 02-19-2011, 08:09 PM
On The Tree

Ken,

Do you have the service manual for your year model? Possibly from the wiring schematics you can tell what the DIC is looking for. Or maybe Spear Tech could wire something to give the BCM or the DIC a signal. On the 04 cluster all I had to do was clip a couple of wires going to the cluster and the ABS fault went away.

Sam
Old 02-19-2011, 10:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by kwhizz
I wish it was that easy........The warning over rides the normal functions of the module along with the Beeping...........

Ken
if it will help i can fax you the connector view should help eliminate the unnecessary wires,I was able to turn it of on mine but i kept the BCM. If you want it pm me.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

PM sent...............................Thanks

Ken
Old 02-20-2011, 10:52 AM
Launching!

Here you go,good luck -----2004 GTO IPC instrument cluster pin out
Attached Thumbnails Need Help.......GTO Gauge Module-scan-3.jpg   Need Help.......GTO Gauge Module-scan-1.jpg  
Old 02-20-2011, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Does anyone know if a 2006 pinout is the same as 2004........Just by looking at it...... if they are the same.....it looks like I should cut the green pin# 3 wire.........does that seem right??

Thanks again.......

Ken (Electrical Dummy)
Old 02-20-2011, 07:29 PM
On The Tree

Does anyone know if a 2006 pinout is the same as 2004........Just by looking at it...... if they are the same.....it looks like I should cut the green pin# 3 wire.........does that seem right??

Thanks again.......

Ken (Electrical Dummy)
Ken,

The 04 cluster is different from the 05/06 cluster. Looking over at the LS1GTO.com website it appears some of the guys are converting their cars to drag racing. They are deleting the ABS to save weight, however, they keep the ABS computer connected to the BCM to keep the ABS warning from coming on. Do you have the ABS computer with your setup? You need a cluster pinout for the 05/06 cluster. Mine is an 04 and all I had to clip was the green wire and the yellow/red wires to the cluster to eliminate the annoying ABS Fault.

Sam
Old 02-20-2011, 08:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This below is for the 05-06 GTO:

DATA LINK COMMUNICATIONS DESCRIPTION AND OPERATION

CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION
The vehicle is fitted with a new powertrain interface module (PIM). The most significant changes that have been made to the PIM are as follows:

•Communication protocol between the engine control module (ECM), transmission control module (TCM) and the Electronic Control Unit (ECU) of the Antilock Braking and Traction Control System, is General Motors Local Area Network (GM LAN).
•ECM to PIM and PIM to body control module (BCM) authentication for vehicle security.
•Cruise control switch functions input directly into the PIM.
•Traction control enable/disable switch inputs directly into the PIM.
The various electronic control modules integrated into the vehicle communicate with each other through the serial data bus. The ECM, TCM and ECU of the ABS-TCS communicate on the serial data bus using the GM LAN communication protocol, while the BCM communicates with the instrument cluster, Audio Head Unit (AHU) and Occupant Protection System Sensing and Diagnostic Module (SDM) using the universal asynchronous receive and transmit (UART) communication protocol.

Your going to have to go at it from an tunning angle and have it deleted.... The issue is the ECM is referencing the GMLAN serial data via C1 pin 1 TN/BK and C1 pin 2 TN which should go directly to the PIM/connects to EBCM(electronic brake control module) and then BCM HighSpeed GMLAN Serial Data Bus +/-...... But since you are not running this and prob have it bypassed through wiring, the ECM is prob looking for communication but there is none.....

Here is what one guy did from another site.....
I have figured out how to get 05/06 GTO's to start with the ABS module unplugged for ABS delete. The ECM Engine Control Module looks for 2 serial data signals from the ABS module. One is a high speed data line and the other is a low speed data line. You need to jump the ABS module so it is out of the circuit because it runs in a series not a parallel circuit. This is how the circuit is run, the 2data lines go from the ABS module to the ECM and in automatic cars also to the TCM Transmission Control Module circuits #'s 2500 and 2501. Then from there the 2 data lines go to the PIM Powertrain Interface Module witch is behind the left rear quarter window. These 2 data lines also go to the DLC Data Link Connector under the drivers side dash board where you plug in scan tools. What I did was I jump circuit 2500 pin #6 in the DLC (tan/black wire) to the the ECM connector 1 (blue connector) pin #1. Then I jumped circuit 2501 (tan) from the DLC pin #14 to connector 1 pin #2 on the ECM. It is important to not jump the 2 circuits together it will short out the cars data link system and wont start. I have started the car several time.

Then only problem I have is I am now getting a fuel gauge error message on the clustor and the fuel gauge isn't working at all. I am not sure if it is related or not because I for got to plug in the ECM connector once and tried to start the car, so it could be because of that. Even when I put the cars wiring back the fuel gauge error came back on. I don't know I may have to clear the code, it may not clear itself. I don't understand why the ABS would have anything to do with the fuel gauge but I guess you never know. Other then that little problem it seems to work.
To me this would not address the chime and light staying on, it is just hot wired to start, I could be wrong. Seems like the ECM would still be looking for a reference for the ABS.

Reason why I say this because:
1.There are the fuses in the underhood and inside fuse blocks that would still show a warning if no power recieved.
2. the instrument panel warning lights and chimes are activated from the serial data information going to the instrument panel that DLC wire going to the instrument control panel is DLC 1061 GN/WH 6(serial Uart Serial Data)....... and are commanded on if it recieves a command. This information is commanded on by the ECM/PIM/BCM interaction because they are looking for the ECBM reference signal.

You need the DLC connections to the instrument control panel and cannot delete it or cut the serial data wire , so after following the wire trail, I concluded it is the tune.....

The only other alternative is to cut the diode and disconnect the bulb in the instrument control panel for the ABS.... The other issue might be even if you did cut the diode, the code triggering the fault would still be present in the ECM..... The other issue is the chime...... All of that is wired together... So even if you disconnected the bulb, the chime or SDI would still sound because of the signal from the Data Serial.... So I would guess your going to have to look in there and see.... But it may be that the signal is sent to the chime first and a illumination of the ABS light is a by product... I don't know with out going in and looking... I have a extra 06 GTO instrument panel here, if I have time I will open it up tomorrow and see whats going on inside...

It just seems like it would be easier to delete it in the tune or ECM.... Or it maybe your wiring setup...

I am just throwing a acouple of possiblities out there......trouble shooting

Bozz

Last edited by bozzhawg; 02-20-2011 at 08:39 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

It just seems like it would be easier to delete it in the tune or ECM.... Or it maybe your wiring setup...

Humm!!............The tuners at SCT said they couldn't do it thru the Tune.....and John at Speartech said the BCM was where the problem needed to be corrected.........Looks like I might have to deal with the chiming problem as this is way over my head.......

Ken
Old 02-21-2011, 09:35 AM
Teching In

BozzHawg saves the day....
Old 02-21-2011, 10:29 AM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Gauge Cluster

Humm!!............The tuners at SCT said they couldn't do it thru the Tune.....and John at Speartech said the BCM was where the problem needed to be corrected.........Looks like I might have to deal with the chiming problem as this is way over my head.......

Ken
Sounds like it might be easier to get a gauge cluster from a 2004 GTO I have seen them on Ebay in various colors {a blue one in your car would look nice} from around $40-$75, would they interchange?
Old 02-21-2011, 12:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lizeec
Sounds like it might be easier to get a gauge cluster from a 2004 GTO I have seen them on Ebay in various colors {a blue one in your car would look nice} from around $40-$75, would they interchange?
I don't think so, the 04 uses a different ECM, Also the 05-06 GTO, the problem is the serial data sends the info to the cluster for those ABS mal function.

Now in my setup 06 LS2 GTO, we bypassed the PIM/BCM/ECBM all together, so the wires for my MIL came straight from the ECM....

kwhizz:

COMMUNICATION
The engine control module (ECM) uses GMLAN communication, while all other control modules, including the body control module (BCM), communicate serial data in universal asynchronous receiver and transmitter (UART). The GMLAN communication is more sophisticated than UART and as such, requires a powertrain interface module (PIM) to convert GMLAN into UART. In simple terms, the ECM communicates in a different language than the other control modules and therefore requires the PIM to translate information into the same language as the other control modules.

The PIM is mounted behind the passenger-side shroud lower trim assembly. Specific software has been developed for use with the scan tool to assist with fault-finding vehicle electrical systems, including the various BCM functions and controls. Scan tool connection for BCM serial data communication is via the data link connector (DLC), attached to the lower right-hand trim of the instrument panel (I/P), to the right of the steering column.
SERIAL COMMUNICATION
The vehicle system control modules, as well as the TECH 2 diagnostic scan tool, communicate with each other via the serial communication lines using serial data. Serial data transfers information, one bit at a time, over a single line called the data bus. Except for the engine control module (ECM), all control modules communicating on the data bus use universal asynchronous receiver and transmitter (UART) communication. The UART is a 5-volt data line that toggles the voltage to ground (0 volt ) at a fixed bit pulse width during communication. The UART transmits data at the rate of 8.2 kilobits per second (8192 bits per second ). In UART communications, when there is no communication on the data line, the system voltage is 5 volts .
alldata.com

Here it is in plain......

The DLC under your dash or DLC connector:
Pin #6 TN/BK 2500 High speed GMLAN Serial Data Bus+ from the PIM
Pin #9 RD/BK 800 Primary Uart Serial data wire from PIM and BCM
Pin #14 TN 2501 High speed GMLAN Serial Data Bus- from the PIM
Pin #12 BU/BK 799 ABS serial data from the ECBM

The primariy Uart Serial data wire RD/BK 800 comes from the PIM to the BCM to the DLC...... This is the main information highway It sends the interpreted data from the PIM to the BCM......

From the BCM to the Guage cluster is a GN/WH 1061 your secondary UART serial data...... This wire sends a signal to the auxiliary gauges and radio from the BCM...

From the BCM to the IRSDM(Inflatable restraint Sensing Dianositc Module) is a WH/GN 774 your tertiary UART Serial data.... ie Airbag

With that said your BCM has 3 wires for information/diagnostic related functions that correlate to ECM/PIM/BCM interaction
1.RD/BK 800 primariy Uart Serial data
2.GN/WH 1061 your secondary UART serial data
3.WH/GN 774 your tertiary UART Serial data....

With that said, I do not believe your problem is in the BCM. So as you can see the cluster needs the secondary UART serial data wire GN/WH 1062.

There is no magic one wire to control the ABS at the cluster unless I am missing something.... Its in the program or fiber of the SUSD wire....lol Your BCM is a serial data interface.....

If it is true that you cannot delete the ABS through tunning, this does not make sense, since I do not run it at all, and no codes show unless they are hidden...... Right now your computer is looking for the reference signal and when it does not recieve it, it commands...

Bozz

Last edited by bozzhawg; 02-21-2011 at 12:15 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Can it be done?

Well if it cant be tuned out and if John at Speartech says it is in the BCM and he hasnt been able to crack the code to remove the ABS fault and chime then as I said in my earlier post it may be easier to just to just put in a 2004 GTO gauge pod and if that requires a 2004 ECM then swap out the entire harness and the ECM to a LS1 2004 GTO set up, I have followed his entire build from awhile back and I saw he has a friend that helped him extensively on the wiring along with John at Speartech, for a few hundred dollars spent with Speartech by maybe getting the 2004 LS1 set up and trading in his 2005-2006 LS2 set up with John at Speartech he can eliminate the ABS fault and chiming problem to me it would be worth the money to not have to listen to that chiming and seeing that fault on my otherwise perfect GTO gauge pod, especially since I saw he did some extensive driving of his car on the power tour, and it can give him a great opportunity to put in a blue gauge pod which just in my opinion would look better than the red one.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks Bozz...........My expertise in electicity is that I can spell Volt, Amp, and Resistance....LOL......Pretty Impressive what you figured out............I'll start with the SCT tuner guys again.........

Again......Thanks a "Million"

Ken

Quick Reply: Need Help.......GTO Gauge Module