Sponsored by:

Ls1 MG?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2004, 09:43 AM
JUS
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls1 MG?

I have always liked the looks of thopse little MG verts......do you guys think its possible to slap an ls1 in there? has anyone ever tried?

-JUS-
Old 02-14-2004, 10:25 AM
Staging Lane

I built an MGB convertable with a 215 Buick aluminum V8 and it was a tight fit. There are people out there who have managed to get a SBC in an MG, but the most popular V8 is the 5.0L pushrod Ford or an aluminum V8 out of a Rover (same as the Buick 215). Either of these two engines weigh less than the cast iron 4 cyl, so handling after conversion can be very nice

Headers are available for the BOP/Rover motor, but the Fords have to be made and usually have to exit out the wheel well to manage the heat load in the engine bay.

Hood clearance is a problem no matter what engine you choose. Mine had .125" clearance with a heavily modified fuel injection plenum.

Here's a website of people doing this stuff-

http://www2.mgcars.org.uk/cgi-bin/ge...ect=36&thread=

LS1Sandrail
Old 05-04-2004, 04:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As for the LS1 MG The Ls1 is smaller then the Rover V8 in all aspects but one and this the width from head to head it is only ½“ wider. I have a V8 MGB GT with the Rover 215 V8 and I think you would have no problem doing this swap I plan on doing it here when I get out of school along with one of the LS1 RX7 cars like Hinson. If you look up Boost Performance out of the UK they will give a nice comparison of the LS1 and the Rover V8 in size and power to price options for ya. But the MGB would need some help with the added power I have seen the rover motor tweak the frame in some of these cars so some sub frame connectors need to me fabed up and help with the front end o the car around the radiator support!

Boost Performance UK

http://chevroletls1.com/
Old 08-15-2012, 05:56 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am doing a 1974 mgb ls1 swap i set it back as far as i could mine is a chrome bumper so i put a one inch spacer between the crossmember and the body i clear the oil pan easily but did have to do some cutting to the fire wall on both sides behind the heads but i do all my own work so it is ok if i were paying someone to weld it would kill me.so yes it can be done
Old 08-15-2012, 07:27 AM
Staging Lane

Default Swap

I too have contemplated this swap because of power to weight ratio (Win). After looking at the cross member I quickly changed my mind unless you are an extremely capable fabricator I would suggest swapping it into something else, like a Chevette or a Starlet if you are looking for power to weight ratio.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default MG Memories

Oh man that would be insane! Growing up one of my buddies had an MG, and my other buddy had a Fiat. We would race and screw off all over the place MG vs. Fiat vs. Nova. Ah memories!

An LS swap into an MG would be a tight fit, but awesome. Sounds like the formula for a cheap Cobra. 400HP, manual and a...1800lb car. Oh man. Start a build thread and I'll subscribe in a minute!

Billy, got any pics of that swap??
Old 08-15-2012, 11:40 AM
On The Tree

The Miata shop that does LSX swaps, Flyin Miata, has a diary on their MGB with LS1 swap.

http://www.slowcarfast.com/MG/index.php

You have to click on the "entries" link at the bottom of each page and hit "newer" to follow along the build entries.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think a Rover V8 or LS1 would be bad *** in a MG. If you decide on the Rover piece PM me and I can point you in the direction of some really good places that can help you build the engine you want.

It will cost more to build a Rover engine than the LS1. If you go EFI, a carbed Rover motor can be built for next to nothing. Cam and lifters for less than 200 bucks.

Edit: Just a bit more info

The LS1 is going to be a hair shorter than the Buick/Rover engine. An Efi Rover engine is going to be pretty tall (the two piece plenum is pretty massive), but a carb'd Rover engine won't be much taller than an LS1. The heads on the Rover engine point straight up once the valve covers are on so it will be a hair more narrow.

I also want to say that the standard 5 speed transmission for the Land Rover models (don't know if it's the same or not for the ones used in the cars) looks like its longer than my t-56 but this is just from glancing at it.

Last edited by My6speedZ; 08-15-2012 at 11:59 AM.

Quick Reply: Ls1 MG?