Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Operation " Big Red One " 70 Chevelle LS3/SC

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 04:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Operation " Big Red One " 70 Chevelle LS3/SC

Operation “Big Red One” has commenced. My son and I started this project when he was 16. We rebuilt the entire suspension, underbody, and frame. My son worked fast-food after school and usually contributed at least half his paycheck to the project. However, with the arrival of my grandson four years ago, priorities changed. Now 21, he has recently been deployed overseas. I have taken on this mission to complete what we started together almost six years ago.
My mission is to install a recently acquired LS3 into his 1970 Chevelle before he gets back. I have less than a year to complete this task. That may sound like a long time, but it isn’t. Especially when you are waiting on the aftermarket for parts. My plan of attack is to max out all of my credit, and to spend countless hours in my shop working.
Highlights of the build include a new Red w/Black stripes paint job and black vinyl top. Edelbrock or Procharger for that little “Kick”. 4L60E transmission, Cruise, Power windows and Locks. Keyless entry and remote start. Leather heated power seats and air conditioning.
All advice and prayers are appreciated. Support our Troops! John
Old 02-22-2011, 05:18 PM
On The Tree

what power adders are you thinking? HP numbers? You might want to rethink the 4l60e if it is over say 400-425HP, 4l80e or 6l80e might be a better choice.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:56 PM
Staging Lane

The stock LS3 is 425, Add an Eforce Supercharger, 599. Cam change to help it breathe a little better and headers and Im thinking an easy 650.

I talked to Hughes and they said as long as i dont bolt on some slicks, i would be OK, However i have started leaning toward a 4L65E instead.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

The only advice I would give at this point would be to suggest not planning on maxing out your credit. But good luck.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:11 PM
Staging Lane

I think you miss the point, Not quite the reaction i was looking for. Would you feel better if i said i cashed in my retirement?

Ive been researching for months and i need to get my acc's, headers, oil pan, and tranny so i can build my mounts. Problem has been waiting on the Mast or Holley pan, trying to find 1 7/8 headers, and the new glitch is that the ac compressor will not work with the Vintage Air system.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm sure BCZee will be along to help, as he did a Chevelle and it turned out great. As for the compressor, check page 52 or so, of the Vintage Air catalogue, they have a Sanden compressor that has the stock LS bolt pattern, and bolts on in place of the factory unit, using the factory bracket, pretty slick piece.

Hock the farm if you have to, your intentions are noble for noted, good for you. Feel free to ask all the questions you have.

Godspeed and a safe return for your son......and when you talk to him next, thank him for me for his service, and tell him this American is proud of his commitment.
T,
Old 02-24-2011, 03:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

You're underestimating the power. Check out Late Model Racecraft's Twisted Slayer package videos on the LS3 and you'll see what I mean. My cammed LS3 put down 465 at the tire, which is about 575 flywheel. You'll be 550-600 at the tire without much trouble, 675-750 flywheel.
I suggest a Magnusson blower for the low end torque and as also mentioned, look into the 4L80 or 6L80 for that boat, though the 4L65 will do if you don't pound it ruthlessly.
Look at Street N Performance and Speartech, they are some of the best resources. It ain't cheap but the experience you get with it makes tremendous value.
The following users liked this post:
Bigg4104 (07-26-2020)
Old 02-24-2011, 04:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My suggeston is to by a Kit with all part required.(or as much of a complete one). that way it takes the problem area out of the picture in that they will fit and drop in as desgined. (mounts/plates./trans x-member, headers ?).

But dropping it it is simple and easy now a days.. accessories and add on are what will drive you crazy trying to mix and match. Send your harnes and pcm to the same place (unless your going to take that on yourself) to get it reworked and a basic tune with what you know you are going to run.. that way start up is a breeze.

But the FAQ on A-Body should give you all the info you need.. and then you can ask us quesions..

Oh.. BTW.. PICTURES !!!

T
Old 02-24-2011, 04:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not for sure why your set on a 4l60e, or 65e. They are pretty much the same trans. Get the 4l80e or be prepared for it to go out on you in no time.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Although a bit more expensive, I'd look at a Turbo 400 hooked to a GearVendors overdrive.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Where are you exactly, I'm retired and have a very complete shop, lathe , milling machine, MIG, TIG, SWMA welding capabilities. I am currently putting a LS2-T56 in a 69 Camero with my son (read I'm doing the work and paying for it) that will one day be his and my Grandsons. I would like to help if possible because I really appreciate your sons service ( I'm a Viet Nam era vet) and would like to help if I can. I'm 22 miles east of Brownwood. Bill
Old 02-24-2011, 10:00 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks to everyone for your kind words and support.

Tom, I looked at that compressor, but it is listed for 4.3, 5.0, and 5.7. Which are all older gen blocks. It doesnt say anything about LS engines. I plan on calling them, i have been emailing Roy back and forth.

jmil, a 4l80 e would be great, but i am trying to save a little money. Main question is, will it fit tunnel wise? I have talked to Speartech, and their setup seems to be exactly what i need.

bczee, Every kit has its drawbacks though the BRP mounts i like the best. That said, i am trying not to notch the frame, move the engine forward. The Camaro uses a low alt setup, not sure how close it will be to the power steering. The mainreason in running the Camaro acc drive is the E force setup is designed for it and bolts right up. pulleys and tensioner included.

Bill, I have a good friend thats a Vietnam Vet, We owe a lot to you guys and gals. I think America is trying not to make that same mistake, I am so very proud of my son and son-in-law ( Sniper ) and how other people treat them.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:30 PM
Staging Lane

I talked to Vintage air and the compressor they have is the Sandon 508. It doesnt fit as nice as i would like, therefore i think i will look into the Trailblazer compressor.

Ive been trying to load some pictures, but i dont have them online where i can move them over, I will keep working on it.

I have been busy repairing and polishing the stainless trim right now. I have heard bad experiences with aftermarket trim, so i am salvaging the old trim. Very time consuming.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

get a good tranny now or it will cost you more in the long run.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:01 PM
Staging Lane

Well Ive stared at it all week, measured and measured again, The 2010 Camaro Accy drive isnt going to fit. The steering box is where the alterator wants to be. It looks like I will have to swap over to the Corvette accy. New water pump and balancer too. The problem with that is the ac compressor included in the kit is a variable displacement , which wont work with the Vintage Air system. I will also have to purchase the Corvette E Force kit instead of the Camaro kit, which means it costs more because it is for a "Corvette", say 500 more. Also, Speartech says that they cant get the cruise to work with the 4L80E, So its back to 4l60e to 4l70e.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:27 PM
Staging Lane

Pulled the trigger today, ordered the Corvette Accy drive kit. Now ive got to change the water pump and balancer. Anyone interested in a new Ac compressor? I also ordered my Mast pan. I need to find a 4l70e tranny in a wrecking yard. Do they have a slip yoke?
Old 04-29-2011, 09:34 PM
Staging Lane

Update, I have the accy drive, balancer, water pump, and finally after being backordered for almost two months, Headers. I have the materials for the engine mounts and i need to find that tranny. I am not having much luck. backordered parts are killing me, i dont know if i will finish in time for SEMA. I also thought i would post a few pics, with more to come..

Old 04-29-2011, 09:38 PM
Staging Lane

OK, why wont my pics show? They are in Photobucket.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:46 PM
Staging Lane

Trying to get pics to show up[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-12-2011, 05:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

what oil pan are you going to be using. the one that is on there now, look like the lower sump is to large and will hit the X-Member..!?

Quick Reply: Operation " Big Red One " 70 Chevelle LS3/SC