Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock Gas Tank

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 02:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Gas Tank

I don't think I have seen a conversion on an older car in here yet that has just used the stock gas tank. I'm swapping out the old straight 6 with mechanical fuel pump for a 99 LS1 from a TA. if the tank is good is there a reason why I can't use it? I realize that I will have to take care of the return fuel side but that shouldn't be a big deal. is there something I am over looking?
Old 02-25-2011, 03:27 PM
On The Tree

The tank will need some kind of baffling to keep the fuel at the pickup or you may lean out when it sucks air when you're driving.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You will need to have some kind of baffling and/or sump to keep the fuel pump at the pickup in order to keep from getting fuel starvation during turning, stopping and starting.

Some have sumped the stock tank and used external pumps. Other have modifed tank to use late model fuel pickup and pumps. The most common modification to keep the stock tank is to use a Tanksinc.com pump kit.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:12 PM
TECH Resident

I run a stock tank with welbro external pump and vet filter regulator. The starvation issues only occur on the lower end of the fuel tank and even then only noticeable when I launch hard out of the hole. Basically you can run a stock tank you just can't play hard below 1/4 to 3/8 or yes it will starve. If you can live with that then yes you can run a stock tank if not you will have to do as stated above. I run a stock big block sending unit that has a factory return built in it.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

I cut the top of a 3rd gen Camaro tank and welded it in my factory Nova tank, then welded a sump in the bottom of the tank to kind of act as a baffle, then used the 3rd gen fuel sender. Been done for over 12 years (I originally did it for a TPI swap) and it has 150k miles on it at least. Works good in my opinion.

Quick Reply: Stock Gas Tank