Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

71 Cutlass Conv L96/T56 build in Dayton OH

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 09:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I followed Tim's advice and went with the procedure to fill the cylinder w/air pressure to keep the valve up and I worked with the spring by hand and was able to swap them all out. Still don't particularly like the tool, but Tim was very responsive on email to offer suggestions, and at the end of the day it worked. It probably would still work better with the edges ground off, but its done now. Next up, clean up the engine and paint; hopefully this weekend.

EDIT: I did end up grinding the tool out straight and it worked much better. Don't know why Tim went w/"improved" design--works great w/o it.

Last edited by Goldhawg; 05-09-2011 at 08:57 PM.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

What did you have to do to get the rear gto seats in there?
Old 05-08-2011, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Also, have you bought a crossmember yet? I've read about people flipping the stock one and cutting off and rewelding the mounting tabs but wasn't sure if that applied to convertibles. Have you explored any other options besides the brp setup?
Thanks
Old 05-08-2011, 02:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The rears had to be shortened 3 inches so the top would clear, and then the center piece was widened 1.5 inches. We were able to rig the seat wires to hook into the stock holding hooks for the back, and the seat I had to make a little tab and screw into the floor. But the seats make this soooo nice to drive.

I've ordered the BRP kit which will have a crossmbr for the convertible w/T56 (2AEK56 is p/n). We'll see. Previously I just took a torch to the stock crossmbr ends and bent it so it would be lower. The crossmbr I have is different from Chevelles. However, I don't like that cuz then my dual exhaust humps are lower and not as much clearance, so hoping the BRP will work well. If not, I'll fab up my own.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm guessing the 3 inches came off the bottom? I just had my seats redone with new foam and all that but I'm thinking I could sell them for more than enough to pick up some gto seats on craigslist or something. The gto seats seem so much more practical and comfortable.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, made a little headway today. Last couple of weeks I've been making a new billet adapter during my Friday afternoon play time at the mill at work. The tick master setup had the adapter screw in from the back--on my plate you must go from the front. Rather than try and make a hole on the front on what came from my kit, I just decided to start over. That way if it didn't work out I could still sell the kit. Fortunately it came out nice.
Attached Thumbnails 71 Cutlass Conv L96/T56 build in Dayton OH-billet-adapter-tick-replace.jpg   71 Cutlass Conv L96/T56 build in Dayton OH-adapter-up-close-tick.jpg   71 Cutlass Conv L96/T56 build in Dayton OH-tick-master-mounted.jpg   71 Cutlass Conv L96/T56 build in Dayton OH-tick-rod-angle-clutch.jpg  
Old 05-08-2011, 07:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

More updates. First a quick question. Looking at the pic of the tick MC, I need the hose nipple around more @ 2 oclock rather than at 7 oclock position to make it fit better in my engine bay. I loosened the screw but the cap didn't want to twist and I was afraid to really crank on it. Any reason why I can't rotate the reservoir?

Also I finished painting my valve covers (already painted the block a stock black). My powdercoating gun was broken this morning, so I went ahead and got another can of duplicolor's engine enamel in red. Wanted the two tone color to match the car. I was originally going to paint the whole engine red, but then I was worried about the paint peeling in the future and since the stock block color was black, I just decided to paint it black (can you hear the rolling stones in the background--paint it, paint it, paint it black!). Anyway, my Cutlass is anxiously waiting for the engine. But wiring harness and ac is next.

But I did get an email from TDP; my T56 is ready!
Attached Thumbnails 71 Cutlass Conv L96/T56 build in Dayton OH-dsc00213.jpg   71 Cutlass Conv L96/T56 build in Dayton OH-dsc00214.jpg   71 Cutlass Conv L96/T56 build in Dayton OH-dsc00215.jpg  
Old 05-08-2011, 07:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chuckd71
I'm guessing the 3 inches came off the bottom? I just had my seats redone with new foam and all that but I'm thinking I could sell them for more than enough to pick up some gto seats on craigslist or something. The gto seats seem so much more practical and comfortable.
To be honest, I don't remember. The upholsterer guy did it. I put these in back in 2006.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldhawg
More updates. First a quick question. Looking at the pic of the tick MC, I need the hose nipple around more @ 2 oclock rather than at 7 oclock position to make it fit better in my engine bay. I loosened the screw but the cap didn't want to twist and I was afraid to really crank on it. Any reason why I can't rotate the reservoir?

But I did get an email from TDP; my T56 is ready!

I have no experience with Tick but looking at the pics if that fitting is a swivel fitting meaning you can loosing the nut without the curved tube coming out of it turning then you should be able to swivel it where ever you need it then tighten the nut back up.

Great to hear on the t56. When I put my order in on one he said I was 8th in line then called me back and said I was 5th a few days later since a couple guys backed out. Thats the last Ive heard from him a week and a half ago. Its nice to know he's getting some out though.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Got my BRP kit in today, along with my EX2wire kit, and a few things from Rockauto.

Pulled the T56 crossmbr out to slip it in and check fitment, and it really doesn't like to clear the floorpan. I've subsequently beat on the floor pan dimples; guessing it just doesn't like the original 40 year old body bushings that are really flat...but this thing will be a pain to get in and out. I'm sure I've already scratched the nice powder coat on top that it came with.

Anybody else with this clearance issue?
Attached Thumbnails 71 Cutlass Conv L96/T56 build in Dayton OH-dsc00217.jpg   71 Cutlass Conv L96/T56 build in Dayton OH-dsc00220.jpg   71 Cutlass Conv L96/T56 build in Dayton OH-dsc00222.jpg  
Old 05-09-2011, 08:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, some more significant hammer work on floorpan and now the crossmbr moves pretty freely...BFH once again!
Attached Thumbnails 71 Cutlass Conv L96/T56 build in Dayton OH-dsc00223.jpg   71 Cutlass Conv L96/T56 build in Dayton OH-dsc00224.jpg  
Old 05-18-2011, 12:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Did the t56 arrive yet? Ill have to call Jason and see how things are going. I called several weeks ago and he said I was 5th in line and had 5cores so it wouldnt be long but thats the last I've heard from him.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

T56 is here...but still waiting bellhousing, shifter and other stuff in separate box.

Been trying to get dash out to start rewiring the car, and slowly making progress, but it just sucks getting it out. In the meantime, I trimmed my windstar fan and brazed a plug where my LT1 water inlet was on my radiator. Think I'll just use the nylon ties for tranny coolers to attach. Put these small aluminum tube to let the fan sort of sit in on bottom. Think it will work just fine. Wife held fan for pic--I don't have diamond rings like that!
Attached Thumbnails 71 Cutlass Conv L96/T56 build in Dayton OH-dsc00297.jpg   71 Cutlass Conv L96/T56 build in Dayton OH-dsc00298.jpg  
Old 06-07-2011, 06:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Not much progress in last week. Still need to get the dash out to get to wiring and ac replacement. Also waiting on engine harness rework and gauge rework (electronic speedo guts in mechanical OEM housing).

But, did get one thing done with the cherry picker...goes a long way with the mrs. on why I need all these tools. She was happy....
Attached Thumbnails 71 Cutlass Conv L96/T56 build in Dayton OH-dsc00305.jpg  
Old 06-07-2011, 08:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So you dont have a diamond like that but you do have your nails like that? Hahaha
Old 06-22-2011, 11:50 PM
Teching In

Any updates?
Old 09-14-2011, 07:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Slow progress over the summer...i.e., none. My other car fiasco took way too much time (sold now) and then the main driver of my wife's car dropped a valve into the piston, another week gone. And I'm still waiting on my harness, although that's not my delay. Need to finish pulling the dash so I can start the AC replacement and chassis wire harness swap. Not likely to have much time this fall either. But who knows. But I can still spend $$. Picked up these JBA shorty headers (2010 camaro) off ebay at not quite half price from someone going to long tubes (which I don't want--don't bother telling me how much more power they'll make). I hope also that the catted mid-pipes will fit in my car; crossing my fingers.
Attached Thumbnails 71 Cutlass Conv L96/T56 build in Dayton OH-dsc00471.jpg  
Old 09-15-2011, 12:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Keep it up!, Got mine running about a month ago.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 98 Likes on 68 Posts

Here is a vid of his harness.
Fedex'd to him today.

http://s704.photobucket.com/albums/w...T56harness.mp4
Old 11-28-2011, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, finally got my dash out. Tonite was the first work on the Cutlass in a couple of months. Now I can hopefully find a sale on classic ac, get that installed and then rewire the car. Then the engine can go in. Hoping for some time over Christmas to get a lot done.
Attached Thumbnails 71 Cutlass Conv L96/T56 build in Dayton OH-dsc00586.jpg  

Quick Reply: 71 Cutlass Conv L96/T56 build in Dayton OH