Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gen III harness on a Gen IV?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 01:26 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gen III harness on a Gen IV?

Hey guys.......I've got a Gen III LQ4 and harness as well as an LFA longblock sitting in my garage. I want to use the LFA in my '68 'Stang because it's an aluminum block but I don't have any sensors or a harness for it.
My question is, how much modification needs to be done to adapt the Gen III harness and PCM to work on the Gen IV? I won't be worrying about VVT or AFM so that's not a problem. Any info would be helpful. Thanks guys!
Old 02-27-2011, 03:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Liginfelter box will make it work with the GEN IV sensors. To use GEN III stuff all over the engine has to come apart
Old 02-27-2011, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tamatt27
Hey guys.......I've got a Gen III LQ4 and harness as well as an LFA longblock sitting in my garage. I want to use the LFA in my '68 'Stang because it's an aluminum block but I don't have any sensors or a harness for it.
My question is, how much modification needs to be done to adapt the Gen III harness and PCM to work on the Gen IV? I won't be worrying about VVT or AFM so that's not a problem. Any info would be helpful. Thanks guys!
Its not that hard. If your crank is already out just add the 24x reluctor wheel to the crank with correct crank sensor in the block. Mount Gen III knock sensors on the side of the Gen IV block, make an extension harness for them. Next make extension harness for the cam sensor wires. Install an early LS2 front mount cam sensor with correct 1x signal wheel, sensor, and cover.

Pretty much making the motor a Gen III.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:49 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bo185
Its not that hard. If your crank is already out just add the 24x reluctor wheel to the crank with correct crank sensor in the block. Mount Gen III knock sensors on the side of the Gen IV block, make an extension harness for them. Next make extension harness for the cam sensor wires. Install an early LS2 front mount cam sensor with correct 1x signal wheel, sensor, and cover.

Pretty much making the motor a Gen III.
I agree with everything you mentioned, but would add one more thing. When you lengthen the cam sensor wires to reach the front mounted cam sensor, you also need to switch the positions of the A and C wires on the plug at the sensor. Helped a friend install a Gen lV 5.3 into an old Ford pickup a while back. Luckily, his engine had the 24X reluctor. We used a 2000-2002 intake and TB and wire harness and #411 PCM. We extended the wires to Knock sensors and installed on side of block like you said and extended cam sensor wires. His engine had an extension from the factory cam sensor down to pan level but had the wrong plug at this location to fit early plug. However, the plugin at the cam sensor itself fit the early plug, so we did away with the extension and plugged into the sensor. Engine would not run until we switched the A and C wires. I had this same problem when I used an MSD 6010 on my carbed LS2 which is a Gen lV with a 24X reluctor. Engine would not run until I switched the A and Cwires in the cam plug. Afterward, it fired instantly. Hope this helps. Ron
Old 02-28-2011, 12:20 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks so much for the info guys!

Quick Reply: Gen III harness on a Gen IV?