Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what do you do with the fuel tank purge....

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 08:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what do you do with the fuel tank purge....

I'm wondering what to do with all the fuel tank purge stuff.

I'm using an 04 GTO harness and ECM. The Volvo it's going into has a purge valve and all but reading how the stock GTO system works it's all dependent on the fuel tank pressure sensor. Sinse i don't have that, or if I do, don't know if the sensor has the same range, etc?

So what's everyone doing with the tank purge system, just leave it be?
Will the tank vent as the fuel is pulled out?
Can I just set up a small vacujm source or something to pull thru the charcol canister?
Old 03-01-2011, 05:46 AM
On The Tree

anybody?
Old 03-01-2011, 09:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Unless you need it for some reason.. dump it.. Yes, In order for it to work, the PCM also needs input from the Fuel tanks pressure sesnsor.

If your trying to smog it.. and get it re-cert with the new engine. You would have use all of the smog from the GTO.

If no smog test. they you can use a charcoal Canister with a vacuum source and that will keep the pressure/vacuum in the tank and Vapor in check. (which is what I've got setup on my Chevelle).
Old 03-05-2011, 08:13 AM
On The Tree

so I go to the yard and find a constant vacuum charcol cannister?
Old 03-05-2011, 11:39 AM
TECH Resident

None of them are constant vacuum. Just use the canister hooked to a vacuum source with a purge solinoid in line and the pcm will control it.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Rick Speed
None of them are constant vacuum. Just use the canister hooked to a vacuum source with a purge solinoid in line and the pcm will control it.
the pcm will not control it without the signal from the fuel tank pressure sensor from what i've read in alldata and on line.

The early cars with charcol canisters and carbs, without a computer, had a constant vacuum source I think, that's what i'm asking.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:24 PM
Launching!

Im using a 04 gto engine/harness. I just removed the sensor and lines off the valve covers and the plug is just tucked away. Im getting an error code for it but once the car is tuned next week it should get tuned out. Ive driven my car just over 200 miles and have had no problems.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ebk06
Im using a 04 gto engine/harness. I just removed the sensor and lines off the valve covers and the plug is just tucked away. Im getting an error code for it but once the car is tuned next week it should get tuned out. Ive driven my car just over 200 miles and have had no problems.
I guess my question is what did you do with the tank vent lines? If you plug them I figured you'd have a fuel flow problem once the fuel was getting pulled from the tank, and if you leave the vent line open you'd get fuel smells.

So what did you do with original fuel tank purge stuff?
Old 03-05-2011, 07:40 PM
Launching!

Well my swap went into a fox body so no vent lines come off the tank. It has a vent valve but no actual lines. The lines coming off the gto motor i removed along with the sensor. The vent lines are seperate from the actual fuel lines that get fuel to the engine. I capped the vent line nipple on the engine with a vacuum cap so the only fuel smell i get is from the exhaust since i need a tune still lol.

Quick Reply: what do you do with the fuel tank purge....