Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4 into a 1968 chevelle question

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 02:10 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LQ4 into a 1968 chevelle question

Tonight I bought a LQ4 out of a 2005 3500 4x4 truck. It came with everything wire harness fuse box computer and all the accessories and only has 35k on it. With that being said can I use this computer? I’m putting the motor into a 1968 Chevelle. Also is it worth my time to try to cut this harness down? How much more need to taken out being it’s a 4x4 truck harness? Now all I need to do is get a trans motor mounts oil pan and headers. I know where a t-56 is but this is a car for son so I think an auto may be better. I have read on hear a lot but still don’t know what works the best. Anyone have some input on a 1968 Chevelle (IE) mounts oil pan and headers. I also plan on running all the stock accessories that come with the motor for now but I will move the A/C.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I think most anything that goes for a 70-72 would go for your 68 as well. I haven't messed with a harness myself, but if I were going to I wouldn't focus so much on what I could take out but what I had to leave in, if you get the distinction. Which reluctor is on that year?
Old 03-01-2011, 06:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I am doing an LQ9 and 4L60E in my 69 GTO. I agree with the statement re the harness. Did you also get the DBW pedal and TAC module? I am pretty sure that the truck was DBW.
You can use all of the truck accessory drive if you simply swap the PS pulley. There are several threads in that regard. You can use the truck AC compressor and bracket with a bit of minor surgery to the bracket.
I used Dougs mount kit with tall Energy Suspension mounts & Dougs long tube headers. The trans crossmember may need a bit of modification to clear exhaust. I am also using an Impala SS fuel tank.
I recommend that you change the oil pan right now since the LH8 will hang too low. I used a Canton pan and pickup along with their oil filter mount.
Overall so far so good.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:58 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I looked at the intake and it dont have the DBW its a cable. first thing is a cts pan. I have not came up on what motor mounts to use yet. I need to look for a trans first
Old 03-01-2011, 08:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the engine truely is an 05 it was a DBW from the factory. Did you hear it run in its current condition? If I am thinking correctly the DBW computers could be switched over to DBC up until 04. I have an 03 and the computer had the stepper motor drive in it. I had mine converted to DBC. Had the TPS and IAC added also. If your computer does not have the stepper motor drive in it and you plan on using DBC you will have to locate another computer and possibly another wiring harness. You may can repin your existing harness but unless you are familiar with these setups I would recommend find a set off of a Camaro or something similar that already has the DBC setup.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:20 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Take a look at our harness's in my Ebay link. I don't think you want to start messing with the factory one when our base harness is $400 shipped!!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/E171-...Q5fCarQ5fParts

Quick Reply: LQ4 into a 1968 chevelle question