Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil pressure releif valve

Old 02-11-2015, 03:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I done away with the vvt and i have a mellings oil pump with the low pressure spring in it. I also have a mechanical oil pressure gauge, i thought it might be messed up cause it would just peg out at 100psi so i got a good liquid fill gauge from work and it shows to be right at 120Psi. I guess i need to drill my oil pan and add the relief valve
Old 02-11-2015, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The thing is some motors have vvt and afm .the ly6 has vvt only but it is always in use. Afm motors need the valve to bleed off excess pressure when certain lifters are collapsed to activate fuel management I'm not entirely sold on the idea of vvt motors needing the valve. But they do come with it stock but doesn't all gen 4 motors? Does an ls3 have it?
Old 02-12-2015, 03:11 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by DW SD
Hi,
Totally appreciate your weighing in. An expert opinion is really great! I talked to Jared at your operation yesterday and he wasn't terribly educated on the subject, but was very professional in finding more info and updating me. He didn't explain the issues too well.

I have an old pickup that is a cruiser. Occasionally, I'll whomp on the gas pedal, but don't do high - G cornering, so I am probably a good candidate for a lower volume pan. My pan hangs below the crossmember, so I've either got to take that risk, risk oil starvation or build a skid plate that protects the pan. I haven't ruled out the latter, but don't necessarily want to add a bunch of weight to my truck, either.

can you please list the pans that Improved Racing sells with the relief valve installed (perhaps for future reference, is it only L99 and L92)?

Also, are there any pans you sell that may be machined for installation of the valve? It seems plenty of folks have retro-fitted the valve.

I was eyeing the F-body / LS1 pan, but the casting inside doesn't seem to have enough material to drill out and tap for the valve. Given my application, and installing the valve, 5.5 quart capacity would be fine.
Any comments along these lines?

thank you much,

Doug
Most truck oil pans have the relief valve, but the only car oil pans I know of that have it are the Camaro/G8 LS3 pan, part # 12640748, and the GTO oil pan, part # 12599397. The GTO pan is front sump, so that's not useful unless you need a front sump pan.

Detailed dimensions of each pan can be seen here: http://www.improvedracing.com/tech/L...dimensions.php

The F-Body oil pan does have a spot that looks like it could be drilled and tapped for the relief valve, but we've never tried so I can't tell you if it fits. The pressure relief valve on other oil pans are in a similar location.

Potential pressure relief valve location for F-Body oil pan # 12628771

For strictly street use, you should be fine with a lower capacity oil pan.

Like Us: Facebook - Twitter - Youtube
Old 02-12-2015, 03:48 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by jimmyg
The thing is some motors have vvt and afm .the ly6 has vvt only but it is always in use. Afm motors need the valve to bleed off excess pressure when certain lifters are collapsed to activate fuel management I'm not entirely sold on the idea of vvt motors needing the valve. But they do come with it stock but doesn't all gen 4 motors? Does an ls3 have it?
I'm pretty sure it's needed (or at least preferred) for VVT. There is a solenoid that controls oil flow to a phaser that hydraulically advances or retards the cam. So oil flow will vary depending on the position of that solenoid.

Old 02-12-2015, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

According to gm service Manual , it is called the active fuel management pressure relief valve. It limits pressure in upper oil galleries and valve lifter oil manifold assembly to 55-75 lbs max. When main oil pressure exceeds 55 lbs the oil pressure relief valve exhausts excess oil to the sump. I read this online in a gm manual for a 2008 g8
Old 02-12-2015, 08:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

IMPROVED RACING - REALLY APPRECIATE THE EXPERT OPINION AND INFO HERE!!

BIG THUMBS UP TO YOU! You are a great resource here.

Doug
Old 02-13-2015, 08:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ImprovedRacing
Most truck oil pans have the relief valve, but the only car oil pans I know of that have it are the Camaro/G8 LS3 pan, part # 12640748, and the GTO oil pan, part # 12599397. The GTO pan is front sump, so that's not useful unless you need a front sump pan.

Detailed dimensions of each pan can be seen here: http://www.improvedracing.com/tech/L...dimensions.php

The F-Body oil pan does have a spot that looks like it could be drilled and tapped for the relief valve, but we've never tried so I can't tell you if it fits. The pressure relief valve on other oil pans are in a similar location.

Potential pressure relief valve location for F-Body oil pan # 12628771

For strictly street use, you should be fine with a lower capacity oil pan.
That is interesting in that my 1998 fbody pan had what I assume is an oil filter bypass valve in roughly the same location you identify and used the PF46 filter (I believe) where as the part number you posted uses the PF48 filter and has nothing in that location. I wonder what the true differences are?

Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures of the bypass before I sold the pan and replaced it with the Holley 302-2.
Old 02-13-2015, 12:59 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

According to gm service Manual , it is called the active fuel management pressure relief valve. It limits pressure in upper oil galleries and valve lifter oil manifold assembly to 55-75 lbs max. When main oil pressure exceeds 55 lbs the oil pressure relief valve exhausts excess oil to the sump. I read this online in a gm manual for a 2008 g8
That all makes perfect sense. But is this from a service manual of a vehicle with VVT? It's possible that VVT is consuming more oil only at higher RPMs and at lower RPM's oil pressure isn't excessive anyway, making the pressure bypass valve not completely required.

Old 02-13-2015, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I guess the g8 does not have vvt. Only afm unless it's a v6.i really wish I knew a definite answer to this . I really don't want to pull my motor and change or modify my 400$ oil pan.i put a call into mast motorsports since they build a lot of vvt motors.but was told to call back Monday because the guy in the know was working off site till mon. My ly6 has a mast vvt cam/ electronics and I am real close to starting it.
Old 02-17-2015, 05:05 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I guess the g8 does not have vvt. Only afm unless it's a v6.i really wish I knew a definite answer to this . I really don't want to pull my motor and change or modify my 400$ oil pan.i put a call into mast motorsports since they build a lot of vvt motors.but was told to call back Monday because the guy in the know was working off site till mon. My ly6 has a mast vvt cam/ electronics and I am real close to starting it.
Considering they sell VVT setups, I'm sure they will be able to give you a definitive answer. Looking forward to hearing their opinion as well.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ImprovedRacing
Considering they sell VVT setups, I'm sure they will be able to give you a definitive answer. Looking forward to hearing their opinion as well.
Me, too! please share the info when you gather it.

Doug
Old 03-05-2015, 05:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok so I emailed Damon at mastmotorsports asked him if my vvt motor needed the pressure relief valve. He said it would be fine without it.
Old 03-08-2015, 12:23 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by usdmholden
That is interesting in that my 1998 fbody pan had what I assume is an oil filter bypass valve in roughly the same location you identify and used the PF46 filter (I believe) where as the part number you posted uses the PF48 filter and has nothing in that location. I wonder what the true differences are?

Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures of the bypass before I sold the pan and replaced it with the Holley 302-2.
Pf 48 has bigger threads I had to get one for my muscle car pan
Old 03-08-2015, 04:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I never have had any issues with non dod or vvt engines with oil pressues being over 70

My 418 and 454 made about 90 thru the traps never had issues with filling the valve covers.

Oil control is what you need to look at rather than reducing pressure.

Car Shop Inc has done a lot of dyno and track testing with these engines and has a series of pumps that have proven to keep these engine alive.

Tim
Old 03-08-2015, 12:05 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

for what its worth....
we tear apart and rebuild engines...
we have NEVER seen issues from High oil pressure....
the more the merrier...
the only problem we have ever seen from High oil pressure was a blown up oil filter....but the filter was a cheapy no name brand.

most filters are rated for 225-350 psi because they can be used on a variety of machines and engines from all sorts of Industries(not just cars and trucks)

on my own personal mortor using a schumanns oil pump, I see 75 at idle, and over 130 at WOT...with no issues
the key is proper oil drain back and a big enough oil supply to begin with.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: oil pressure releif valve