Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Camaro Ls1 into 1970 Chevelle SBC

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Camaro Ls1 into 1970 Chevelle SBC

Been reading a lot here for weeks.
Have a 2000 Camaro LS1, 4L60e and 1970 Chevelle SBC, TH350.
Sold the Camaro body to a drag racer and will keep the complete engine, computer and harness, radiator, fans and exhaust.
Know about the cross member modification needed for LS1 oil pan to fit.
Know the Camaro A/C unit can not stay in stock position on passenger side.
Will keep this install simple, the 4L60e can be installed next year.
Found engine mounts and transmission adaptor.
Questions:
What else do I need from the camaro?
What won't fit?
What else do I need to purchase?
God bless you all.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Hadn't heard about the need to modify the cross member, but if you are looking for easy just get a ctsv oil pan. You will need to look into the wiring/ tuning if you are planning to go with a 'dumb' trans now and then switch to an 'E' one later, as it's easy to cut stuff out but hard to put it back. You are probably better off going with the 4l now instead of later.
Kwik brackets will relocate your a/c.
Might keep the throttle cable and pedal.
What else do you need to purchase? Most likely a lot. At least I did. Decide exactly what you want before you buy anything else.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:42 AM
Teching In

I'm starting my build now with a 2002 camaro ls1/4l60e, I doing the wiring myself. This will be a cheap build for me. I purchased the mounts,made a fuel system, need to order some gauges and im all done. I was going to see if I could just place the motor in with the a/c still connected. If it do not fit I have a set of 5.3 accessories brackets. This is my first build so hopefully everything go smooth, trying to have mine done in a week as soon as all the parts arrive.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can use the engine bay fuse/relay box if you want to use it, it has relay for the fans, fuel pump and fuses to control the PCM and everything else you need. Right now, I am mocking up one of the boxes and If it works out for me.. well use it myself on my current 71 Nova Project. Grab the ODBII port!

I agree with doing the 4L60e now.. The harness and PCM will take care of everything you need in the tune. Minor Trans tunnel modification if any. With the right pan(s), no Cross member mod will be needed. (I have a CTS-V on mine, other good options notch F-body, or aftermarket=MAST/Holley).

If you use the TH350, you will need to fab up a bracket for the Kickdown cable or go manual valve body.

You really don't need much more from the Camaro. Maybe the Brakes, there are kits to convert.
Shifter and console
TCC switch from the pedals for the 4L60E
Throttle / CC unit and cables
Charcoal Canister
Power Steering Cooler
Fuel sender unit/bucket.

All of these can be used if you want to take the time to utilize them on your swap.. or just use aftermarket / custom stuff.

As far as the last question on "purchase"... that is an open ended question that will never stop! LOL. everything from nothing to everything !!

But, continue to do your research in the FAQ's and project threads.. ask the rest of us A-Body guys Chevelle related questiona and we will help out...!

It is better to ask your question in on specfic area or group of question.. you will get better answers.

BC
Old 03-13-2011, 02:37 PM
Staging Lane

"Questions:
What else do I need from the Camaro?"

Answer, from one with little experience:
exhaust manifolds and pre-cat o2 sensors
radiator and fans
wiring harness
ECM
accessory brackets
alternator
power steering pump

MAYBE:
cruise control

Last edited by 1970; 03-14-2011 at 08:02 AM.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:44 AM
Staging Lane

Does anyone know how to wire the LS1 car cruise control into the Chevelle.

Quick Reply: 2000 Camaro Ls1 into 1970 Chevelle SBC