Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine prelube problems w/L96 (LY6)--wrong port?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 10:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Engine prelube problems w/L96 (LY6)--wrong port?

Well, I wanted to get engine oil throughout my engine since the jy allowed water in it, finally decided to spend the $$ on the Melling preluber, video demo here (LS engine starts about one minute in):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOYLlr8uQ8k

So I hooked up to the same port in mine (see pics), and I don't get oil coming up to the rocker arms. He also says in the video hook up to where your oil pressure sensor goes, but perhaps this is a different port for later motors (think he is prelubing an LS1)?

Should I instead be using the port on the back of the cooler (see next pic). BTW, I do have both of these cooler lines pinched off w/vise grips since I don't have the cooler--wondering what other people do with these in their installs. Any reason why the oil MUST flow thru the cooler setup to get to the valvetrain? Wondering if my pinching that off is the problem, but not sure how to solve in short term.

Appreciate any advice.
Attached Thumbnails Engine prelube problems w/L96 (LY6)--wrong port?-oil-port-current.jpg   Engine prelube problems w/L96 (LY6)--wrong port?-oil-cooler-port.jpg   Engine prelube problems w/L96 (LY6)--wrong port?-mpl-101-engine.jpg  
Old 03-19-2011, 02:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If your pinching off the oil cooler lines.. your cutting off the route to the back and top of the engine. The oil should be coming out of the filter, up into that block, then into the oil cooler and back.. which you do not have connected and pinched off.. ( unless I miss understand your statements).
Old 03-19-2011, 02:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats where we prelubed an LS3 and it worked very well. Try and loop the cooler lines rather than pinching them off if you can, I think that'll solve your issue, post before is on the money!

Quick Reply: Engine prelube problems w/L96 (LY6)--wrong port?