Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Swap Going Wrong need pointers

Old 03-19-2011, 06:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Swap Going Wrong need pointers

Hello fellow LS1 Techs I'm having trouble getting my 5.3L engine to fit in my 1971 cutlass, I took the manifolds off so that it would fit but the engine mounts wont line up I'm thinking spacers anyone got ideas? or done a similar swap that can help?
Old 03-19-2011, 09:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just finished putting my engine in my G Body. I used the Trans Dapt Chevy S-10 mounts kit. I thought I was going to be able to use the factory holes, but it did not line up.

I mounted the frame stands/clamshells to the motor, then set the motor in where I wanted it. I scribed circles on my K member and then pulled the motor back out and drilled holes where the marks were.

I hope this makes sense.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:35 PM
Teching In

take the mounts off the frame, bolt them to the motor, put the motor and tranny in, install the trans crossmember, measure the drive shaft angle(if possible), check for all clearances, when everything looks good weld the motor mounts to the frame and be done with it. Thats what I did i was able to get it close to the original location but i didn't want to deal with bolts or slotting the bolt holes. or trying to deal with any other crap like.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:11 PM
TECH Resident

You have any pictures of wher eyou are ate currently? I think you just need a second set of eyes to guide you in the right direction. I am at the tail end of an A-body swap ('69 442) and it really wasn't that bad.

What are you using for engine mounts?
Old 03-20-2011, 03:02 AM
Teching In

I was able to get the right side engine mount bolted down but the engine was touching on the right and lifted on the left twisted and the oil pan was on crossmember, I dont have any pics as of yet...I'm using transdapt engine conversion mounts and energy suspension poly motor mounts.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:04 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by GNCLONE
I just finished putting my engine in my G Body. I used the Trans Dapt Chevy S-10 mounts kit. I thought I was going to be able to use the factory holes, but it did not line up.

I mounted the frame stands/clamshells to the motor, then set the motor in where I wanted it. I scribed circles on my K member and then pulled the motor back out and drilled holes where the marks were.

I hope this makes sense.
Yeah that makes sense but I dont think thats going to work for me id rather not try drawing circles and getting that to match...
Old 03-20-2011, 03:12 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 72ls1nova
take the mounts off the frame, bolt them to the motor, put the motor and tranny in, install the trans crossmember, measure the drive shaft angle(if possible), check for all clearances, when everything looks good weld the motor mounts to the frame and be done with it. Thats what I did i was able to get it close to the original location but i didn't want to deal with bolts or slotting the bolt holes. or trying to deal with any other crap like.
Unbolting the mounts putting them on the engine then seeing were they would be right at sounds about then mounting sounds good
Old 03-20-2011, 03:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Are you trying to use the original Olds frame mounts?
Check out this thread.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...442-build.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine Swap Going Wrong need pointers