Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1967 GTO LQ4 (L92/LS3) swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 11:42 AM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by old66tiger
What headers did you settle on? I have the Doug's D3336R headers on my GTO and they fit right to the floor. I opted for the non coated headers because the idiots at Pertronix put the O2 bungs in the wrong spot on the collectors. I welded a set of binge on the inside of the collector so I did not have to cross over the header with wiring. They are getting coated as I write this.
Decided against headers for one more year, mostly due to cost. But I'm very likely going to run the Ultimate Headers, mid-length when I do it.....likely next winter. I'm still running stock LS1 manifolds.
Old 04-30-2015, 11:57 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are nice. I worked with Jim Browning to help develop these. Fit is nice. I decided to not use them because my frame clearance was tight between the header and the brake lines. I did not want to relocate them and I had the Doug's already.
Originally Posted by 67 goat
Decided against headers for one more year, mostly due to cost. But I'm very likely going to run the Ultimate Headers, mid-length when I do it.....likely next winter. I'm still running stock LS1 manifolds.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch business

Been following the LS swaps into the GTO A bodies. Old66Tiger went with the hydraulic clutch and the hydroboost brakes. Seemed very complicated. Have you changed from the mechanical clutch set up? If so, can you post what you did? I am working on an LS3 into a 67 GTO convertible using a T56 six speed. Need some help and advice! Thanks! DublinGTO
Old 05-26-2015, 01:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dublingto
Been following the LS swaps into the GTO A bodies. Old66Tiger went with the hydraulic clutch and the hydroboost brakes. Seemed very complicated. Have you changed from the mechanical clutch set up? If so, can you post what you did? I am working on an LS3 into a 67 GTO convertible using a T56 six speed. Need some help and advice! Thanks! DublinGTO
I'll have to check for pictures at home, but I'm also running hydraboost and hydraulic clutch. I'm very happy with both. I'm running a hydratech booster.....not a bad install.

The hydraulic clutch, I bought an entire kit from Silver Sport Transmission (formerly Keisler Engineering), but I think there's plenty of companies that sell kits for retrofitting. You can certainly used 4th gen F-body stuff too......I'm guessing there's plenty of people on here who have done it and posted details. I did my install with the brake booster and engine in the car, and I'll admit it wasn't fun. Basically the master cylinder mounts on the firewall on the other side of the clutch pedal and below the brake master cylinder (in my case anyway).....they are connected via adjustable pushrod. Remote reservoir mounts up top near brake reservoir with a line down to the master, of course. Then there's a single line from the master to the slave cylinder, which will likely be a concentric slave. The bleeder is on this line and is cake to bleed.......just like brakes but simpler for obvious reasons.

I did run my mechanical linkage for a year or 2 without any issues. Had to modify the Z-bar linkage......but I simply shortened it.....not a big deal. I did the hydraulic setup knowing I'd run headers eventually. Plus I think they are more driveable than a Z-bar.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:28 PM
Teching In

Default clutch

Thanks for the reply! I would love to see some pictures of your hydraulic clutch set up.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:56 AM
Launching!

Finally pulled the trigger on a set of headers. When with a mid-length header from Ultimate headers. Stainless and ceramic coated. Very expensive, but they are exactly what I wanted. I know some will wonder why not go with a long tube, but ANY header was a stretch for me. I love the fit and ease of service that a manifold offers, so this is a good compromise. I didn't want the headaches that come with long tubes.

Anyway, I've test fit both sides and they fit very nice.....arguably perfect. Passenger side is cake, of course.....driver's side is tight, but fits about as good as it could. ZERO issues with the steering shaft....only issue was that my brake line distribution block was right on that frame rail, so that interfered, but surprisingly I was able to move it to a nice location AND just rebend 4 out of 5 lines to work in the new location. 1 line I'll have to lengthen, but it's the main line to the rears, and the easiest one to replace. That never happens!

I'll get some more pics during final install, but here's a couple of the passenger side for now.

Old 11-01-2016, 06:27 AM
Launching!

Default 10.9 @ 127. Video!

Previous best was 11.6. Went on a cold night and the place was empty. What a difference the cold air makes with the blower! 10.9 @ 127.

Really happy with those Hoosier Quick Time Pros too. Those things hook!

Old 11-01-2016, 10:25 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Nice work! Congrats on getting into the 10s! How have you like the Magnusson overall?
Old 11-01-2016, 10:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,393 Likes on 879 Posts

Great...now I want a super charger...

Andrew
Old 11-01-2016, 11:07 AM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Great...now I want a super charger...

Andrew
You and me both Andrew. But, I was thinking more like a Whipple 4.5.
Old 11-01-2016, 11:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by speedtigger
You and me both Andrew. But, I was thinking more like a Whipple 4.5.
That's a big blower! Would you finally get into the 90s and go efi?

Andrew
Old 11-01-2016, 11:14 AM
Old School Heavy

That's a big blower! Would you finally get into the 90s and go efi?

Andrew
Yeah. I think I could justify it for the 4.5.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by speedtigger
Nice work! Congrats on getting into the 10s! How have you like the Magnusson overall?
Overall, I love it. I just upgraded to a rear cog overdrive kit, and I'm not crazy about the whine associated with it. In the video it sounds cool, but inside the car it just gets annoying (to me anyway.....some of my friends love it). There's a couple options to solve that problem that I'm exploring.

2 other minor drawbacks:
1. With a roots blower the torque is like a light switch. You're either making 200ft-lbs or 600ft-lbs. Once it starts making boost, it's on.
2. Mine heat soaks pretty quickly at the dragstrip. I have a small intercooler reservoir, so by the time you wait in line and do your burnout, the coolant loop is pretty hot and you're losing HP due to high IATs. This is much less of a problem on the street because you're always moving and air is moving across the heat exchanger. Stuck in traffic? Who cares about losing some HP. Plenty of solutions here, but I thought it was noteworthy.

But again, overall it's amazing and I can't say enough about it.
Old 11-01-2016, 01:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 67 goat
1. With a roots blower the torque is like a light switch. You're either making 200ft-lbs or 600ft-lbs. Once it starts making boost, it's on.
Does this blower have a by-pass valve? I think I saw it in the pictures.

I know on a LSA engine, the computer has control of that valve and it is used to regulate the onset of boost (aka torque curve). I think in stock vehicles it was used as part of the torque management scheme to save hard parts and make vehicles live for the warranty period.

I know with the Holley system you can create an output and use it to control the boost curve via the by-pass valve. There was someone on the Holley forum that got that working on a stock LS9 engine, using the Dominator ECU.

Andrew
Old 11-01-2016, 04:55 PM
On The Tree

Ice in the reservoir? Seen that done with amazing results! Larger heat exchanger and larger reservoir would help. As you said, lots of potential ways to solve this.
Old 11-02-2016, 08:19 AM
Launching!

Does this blower have a by-pass valve? I think I saw it in the pictures.

I know on a LSA engine, the computer has control of that valve and it is used to regulate the onset of boost (aka torque curve). I think in stock vehicles it was used as part of the torque management scheme to save hard parts and make vehicles live for the warranty period.

I know with the Holley system you can create an output and use it to control the boost curve via the by-pass valve. There was someone on the Holley forum that got that working on a stock LS9 engine, using the Dominator ECU.

Andrew
Definitely has a by-pass valve, but not computer controlled. They are preset by Magnuson. I'd have to research exactly how to control it, if that's even possible. My tuner drives a ZL1, so he's likely very familiar with it on the LSA. Thanks for the idea!
Old 11-02-2016, 08:52 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BLKMGK
Ice in the reservoir? Seen that done with amazing results! Larger heat exchanger and larger reservoir would help. As you said, lots of potential ways to solve this.
Heat exchanger is very large and I can't go bigger anyway. A larger reservoir and ice would certainly help. I'll definitely look into the ice option.

Granted, not sure why I'm worried about it. It's fine on the street. It's a street car. And I'm already breaking the rules at anything below 11.5. No roll cage.

Thanks!
Old 11-02-2016, 11:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

the rules of anything below 11.5 requiring a cage is merely their suggestion. LOL
Old 11-02-2016, 01:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
the rules of anything below 11.5 requiring a cage is merely their suggestion. LOL
Exactly! I mean, what could go wrong in a mid-60s muscle car at 130mph?
Old 12-12-2016, 09:22 AM
Launching!

Default 10.9 1/4 mile run

Not bad for a touring suspension and TKO-600!

The following users liked this post:
dcastine (02-03-2021)

Quick Reply: 1967 GTO LQ4 (L92/LS3) swap