Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1967 GTO LQ4 (L92/LS3) swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 07:26 PM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jfg455
Nice looking build. A good friend of mine just picked up your old 317 heads from you and told me to check out your car. It should be a fun ride when you are done! Give a shout if you run into a jam.
Thanks! Yea, it was great to meet Al and shoot the bull the other night. He's got a sweet collection of cars.....made me jealous!

-Jeff
Old 03-23-2011, 07:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by hookemdevils22
and i'm subscribed. it's a shame you're not going T56/TR6060. let us know how the muscle car pan and accessories work out.
Will do.

A T56 would be nice, but I'm very happy with the TKO-600. The OD is similar (.64), and it shifts really smooth. If I had known I'd be doing an LS swap when I bought the TKO, I would have waited and bought an LS/T56 combo, but hindsight is 20/20.

-Jeff
Old 03-28-2011, 05:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Any updates
Old 03-28-2011, 11:19 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Tramminc
Any updates
Pulled the 400 out yesterday.

I'm still waiting on some parts before I do the first LS test fit, but they should all be in this week and I can do a trial fit this weekend.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm going to run F-body exhaust manifolds for now to save some money. This allows me to use stock Z-bar clutch linkage (I think) and my existing exhaust (with minor fabbing to fit the manifolds).

My biggest question right now is the Z-bar pivot ball.
I could fab my own Z-bar pivot ball bracket, but for $60 I'd rather save a day of design and fab work and buy the SD bracket.
http://sdparts.com/details/scoggin-d...ts-center/sdcb
But I can't find any feedback on how it fits in anything, let alone a Pontiac A-body. It says "fits ALL GM cars and pickups".

Anyone have any first-hand experience with this bracket they'd like to share?
Old 03-28-2011, 11:23 AM
Launching!

OK, just got off the phone with Scoggin Dickey.

They don't have any SDCBs in stock, and they don't know when they will. Apparently, the company that makes them isn't making them anymore. He said to call back in a couple weeks for an update.

Guess I'm fabbing my own bracket!
Old 04-01-2011, 12:01 PM
Launching!

I just received an email from Keisler that my bellhousing is on backorder and they don't expect to receive it for another 7-8 weeks.

Bummer.

I guess I'll save the Z-bar and exhaust until last and work on the fuel system and wiring first.

I'm going to put the motor in tomorrow for the first time. I'm excited for that.

-Jeff
Old 04-01-2011, 10:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 67 goat
I just received an email from Keisler that my bellhousing is on backorder and they don't expect to receive it for another 7-8 weeks.

Bummer.

I guess I'll save the Z-bar and exhaust until last and work on the fuel system and wiring first.

I'm going to put the motor in tomorrow for the first time. I'm excited for that.

-Jeff
Why not go with a hydraulic clutch?

Sam
Old 04-02-2011, 05:24 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SamHatco
Why not go with a hydraulic clutch?

Sam

Cost.

I'm sure I'll switch over at some point in the near future, but to save a few bucks and get this thing up and running sooner, I'm sticking with the stock linkage for now.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:09 PM
Launching!

Got the motor in today. It was pretty uneventful, accept for the passenger side exhaust manifold of all things. There's nothing over there to get in the way, accept the frame!....... But a little "massaging" of the flange, minor motor shift and I think it'll be OK. The oil pan was tight, but it clears. I'd say there's a 1/4" of clearance between the bottom of the pan and the top of the crossmember.

The driver's side manifold fits like it was made for the car....it's amazing. Plenty of clearance for the Z-bar and everything else as far as I can tell.

I've seen dozens of pics of LSx's mounted in cars all over this site and others, and they've all got me excited......but nothing is as exciting as seeing it in your own car, even though it's basically the identical picture.

As another member once said though, "now the real work begins".

Passenger side manifold before adjustments

After

I'll tackle the fuel system next. I ordered all the fittings I need today. Unfortunately, my stock feed line is only 5/16, so I'll have to replace with 3/8. No big deal, just a little extra work I hadn't planned on.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great , I wish I was there! any pics of the oil pan area and where did you buy the heads from ? JOHN
Old 04-04-2011, 12:15 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Lookin' good. A couple questions...

1) What steering gear is that? It looks like the larger 670 series - I was thinking about the (smaller) 800 series from Lee after seeing the fitment issues some had with the OEM PS pulley. Though that PS pump pulley looks smaller than OEM.

2) How's the fitment with said gear?

3) What kit did you get from SC&C, and what are your thoughts? I was looking at the stage 2+ kit, and Mark really helped outline a kick-*** setup, including every component I would need and their respective importance, in case I wanted to piece it together.

4) Notice any difference in ride height on the front end? I know it's tough to judge w/o the hood, but did the front raise appreciably?

5) What motor mount stands did you use? I hear guys running Chevelle stands, just trying to get an idea (and maybe start collecting parts )

And please get some clearance pics with that oil pan, including the ground clearance.

Last edited by hookemdevils22; 04-04-2011 at 12:24 AM.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:45 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by john 67
Looks great , I wish I was there! any pics of the oil pan area and where did you buy the heads from ? JOHN
I'll get some pics of the oil pan/crossmember clearance and also a side view ground clearance shot tonight. It definitely hangs a little low. I had a high capacity pan on my pontiac 400 that hung just below the crossmember. This oil plan is shorter by an inch, but I guess the bottom plane of the block is lower than the 400, so it looks like it's about in the same spot. I wish it was higher, but I think it'll be fine.

The heads are L92s right from my local chevy dealer. $870 for the pair.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:17 AM
Launching!

Lookin' good. A couple questions...

1) What steering gear is that? It looks like the larger 670 series - I was thinking about the (smaller) 800 series from Lee after seeing the fitment issues some had with the OEM PS pulley. Though that PS pump pulley looks smaller than OEM. I changed the steering box 10+ years ago and don't remember the details. To be honest, I don't know much about them, but I'm fairly certain it's a 12.7:1 or 14:1 box.....maybe from a 3rd gen camaro? I can check the ID on it tonight if you'd like. The PS steering pump is a junkyard unit from a early 90s lumina. The pulley is 5". With the Kwik brackets, there's plenty of pulley clearance, the only place that's tight is with the high pressure steering box fitting and the feed line to the pump from the remote reservoir. I made a 180" u-bend with some copper elbows coming out of the pump and it's close to the high pressure fitting......but there's room. I had a 45 degree AN fitting on it, so I ordered a 90 and I think it'll be fine.

2) How's the fitment with said gear? See above.

3) What kit did you get from SC&C, and what are your thoughts? I was looking at the stage 2+ kit, and Mark really helped outline a kick-*** setup, including every component I would need and their respective importance, in case I wanted to piece it together. I ordered the Stage 1+ kit and I absoutely love it. I really can't beleive how well the car handles now. I did SPC springs and Bilstein HD shocks all around, and I added a sway bar in the rear. I also used SPC lower control arms to push the front tire forward a bit so I didn't have rubbing issues with the door side of the fender opening.

4) Notice any difference in ride height on the front end? I know it's tough to judge w/o the hood, but did the front raise appreciably? It's definitely higher right now, but without the rest of the drivetrain in it's not fair comparison. I didn't look at it closely with just the Pontiac motor in it. Keep in mind I'm using an iron LQ4 short block, so my only weight savings are the heads and intake setup.

5) What motor mount stands did you use? I hear guys running Chevelle stands, just trying to get an idea (and maybe start collecting parts ) I used Edelbrock adaptor plates with Chevelle motor mounts. It was expensive, but I really wanted the motor close the factory location and based on CFster's experience, it's close. In hindsight, I should've fabbed my own brackets and used the Pontiac mounts to save some money.....oh well.

And please get some clearance pics with that oil pan, including the ground clearance.
I'll post some pics tonight of oil pan clearances.

-Jeff
Old 04-04-2011, 10:13 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the response. I was just wondering if you had bought a Lee quick-ratio PS gear when you did the front end. They make a standard gear and a smaller one (for $100 more) in case there's clearance concerns.

And you'd be surprised at the weight difference. While the 400 weighs significantly less than a big block, the iron-block LS engines are even lighter, to the tune of ~200 lbs (estimates are 450 for an LQ long block w/ intake, vs. 650 for a similar Poncho 400).

Anyway, that thing is going to be kick-*** when you're done with it. It'd only need some AC and it would be perfect for a DD.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:06 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the response. I was just wondering if you had bought a Lee quick-ratio PS gear when you did the front end. They make a standard gear and a smaller one (for $100 more) in case there's clearance concerns.

And you'd be surprised at the weight difference. While the 400 weighs significantly less than a big block, the iron-block LS engines are even lighter, to the tune of ~200 lbs (estimates are 450 for an LQ long block w/ intake, vs. 650 for a similar Poncho 400).

Anyway, that thing is going to be kick-*** when you're done with it. It'd only need some AC and it would be perfect for a DD.
That makes sense. Hell, the heads alone are probably 80 lbs lighter each. And the intake could easily be another 40.

I've thought about AC. I'm in NH, so it's not a necessity like Texas or Florida. But there's definitely some days I wish I had it on my way home from work, especially on the highway when the wind noise starts to get old.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brings back memories. My passenger side manifold had to be modified just like yours to fit the 65 olds. Your GTO is looking great.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:07 PM
Launching!

I found a problem tonight that I hadn't thought of (where's the icon for dumbass) and don't remember seeing during oil pan research......tie rod end clearance at full lock. I'm really, really close to making it, but I think they'll hit. Of course, it depends a little bit at what angle the motor sits at with the trans in.

I love the aluminum GM pan and hate to give up on it. Looks like I could simply cut 2 notches and weld them back up. Plenty of room on the passenger side. The oil pickup tube on the drivers side is reasonably close, but there's definitely room.

And it's hanging way lower than I thought it would......I'm pretty bummed about that as well.

The 2nd and 3rd picture show the pickup and pan. Just behind that threaded hole in the front, that's where it'll hit. If I could change that little bump out before the screw boss to match the shape of the pan behind it (in front in the third picture), I think I'd have plenty of room.

Any thoughts? Should I just quit while I'm ahead and replace it with the Autokraft pan? EDIT: Yikes, didn't realize the Autokraft pan was $400! The GM pan was only $135! Guess I'll modify this one.

Here's other clearance pics, as requested. They aren't great, but it's tough to get a good pic down there regardless of angle. The sway bar is right in the way up front.

From the front

Side rear

Last edited by 67 goat; 04-04-2011 at 06:18 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:40 PM
Launching!

I notched the oil pan to clear the inner tie rod ends and it worked out awesome! Still tight, but adequate clearance now. I had a buddy weld it up for me and he did an amazing job.

I have all my fuel system parts and started working on that today too. I ran part of the 3/8" hard line (replacing the existing 5/16 line that was there). I mocked up the pre-filter, pump, and filter/regulator and think I have a good plan for that as well. Another half day's work and the fuel system should be all set plumbing-wise.

Pics of the modded pan. Driver's side was cake. Passenger side we had to watch out for the pickup tube.......so maximize tie rod clearance but not interfere with the pickup tube. Mission accomplished.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 875 Posts

Dude....you ripped the soul out of your GTO....

P.S. That oilpan looks to be really low for my taste, but what do I know?

Andrew
Old 04-11-2011, 05:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Looks good. I am doing a similar swap here in Rhode Island to my 69 GTO ragtop. I had a similar pan issue and went with a Canton. Tucks up to the crossmsmber and the tie rods just nip at full lock. I can send or post pics if you are interested. I have the engine and trans in as well and just completed the wiring harness. I went with the Dougs mounts and headers. Good fit , mut I need to fab up a trans crossmember.

Quick Reply: 1967 GTO LQ4 (L92/LS3) swap