Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lsx/T56 Mazda Rx8 Build Thread.. Pics inside

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 08:57 AM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Quick question for ls junkies....stock f-body exhaust manifolds are the tightest fitting OEM "header" correct? Or is there something else out there that is better for tight spaces?
Old 06-02-2014, 09:56 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude, I love this swap.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HEYPAL01impala
Dude, I love this swap.
Ty Ty...as do I, can't wait to get it running
Old 06-05-2014, 10:59 PM
On The Tree

Default Update...New oil pan, welded steering shaft...ect

Got some more done on the car. Had to pull the motor back out to finish up some things...but man is it a breeze to get this thing out..did it solo in 20 minutes haha.

[IMG][/IMG]

Out and setup to put the new oil pan on

[IMG][/IMG]

New f body oil pan, gasket, windage tray, oil pickup tube and oring installed. Remember to install the pan tightening from the center to the outside so it seals correctly..and the M8 bolts are 18 ft-lbs and the 2 longer M6 are 8 ft-lbs

[IMG][/IMG]

Oil pan Looks great nice and thin at the front should fit like a glove. Below are some shots of the steering shaft extension...just have it tack welded in the aligned position...forgot to snap pics after i fully welded it up

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Hard to tell from this pic, but the steering shaft u-joint clears the stock sub frame perfect....because i had to add steel spacers to the steering rack mounts to move it up ever so slightly to clear and have full motion with no interference.

[IMG][/IMG]

Here are the spacers i was referring to...really just a really thick washer
[IMG][/IMG]

When the motor was in the car i took measurements for headers, since the gto exhaust manifolds wouldn't fit. I went ahead and found a set that should work (crossing my fingers lol), so i ordered them along with new gaskets and ARP bolts. Once they arrive ill bolt them on and drop the motor back in for one of its last test fits. Then the real fun begins!! Update soon to follow.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:48 PM
On The Tree

Default Motor Back in Headers fit!!!

Got some parts from the UPS man on friday, so i was able to get some more done on the car. Got the new Hooker LS swap headers on, with new gaskets and ARP Fastners...remember to use nickel anti seize on the header bolts and the bolt size is M8x1.25.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

They look great and fit nice and tight! Nice clean look. And its comfirmed LS swapped rx8s work best with the f body oil pan...the rear sump clears our subframe perfect, and the slim front clears the relocated steering rack/subframe.

[IMG][/IMG]

Shot of the header collectors under the car...now i have to design my exhaust system! Im pumped...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Everything back in after the new pan, and headers...everything fits nice and clean...have room for exhaust system, steering shaft has full motion with no interference...totally pumped at how its coming together.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Everything looking good so far...now onto designing exhaust system, plumping fuel system, and the electrical part of the build...still waiting on my harness and pcm to get back from speartech wiring...Update as soon as i can...in the mean time let me just leave you with this....lol

[IMG][/IMG]

Looks wicked!! Cant wait till its running again. Update soon hopefully.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:09 PM
Teching In

Awesome!!!
Old 06-09-2014, 09:30 PM
On The Tree

Got my harness and PCM back from speartech....it looks fantastic, and everything is labeled..should be a breeze to get in...hopefully lol...Updste soon to follow.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:10 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Faptastic !
Old 06-14-2014, 09:44 PM
On The Tree

Default Small Update

Hey guys..got another couple things done on the car...just trying to be productive while i wait for the UPS man again haha. Finished off the top radiator mounts...since im getting a custom hood..im gonna have it "pinned"...so the top radiator "mount" has a stud through the center of each cut to serve as mounting points for the hood pins as well..so i can just thread the hood pins onto the top of the radiator studs, then cut the holes in the hood as needed.

[IMG][/IMG]

Relocated my Mazda PCM/Computer...gonna sit right to the left of where the spear-tech harness will enter the engine bay...Also Relocated the computer to the front of the left strut mount (this might not be permanent..might need to fab up a bracket or something).

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Also loosely fabbed up the intake..gonna need to make a cut and put the MAF in still...but it looks good.

[IMG][/IMG]

Thats about it..however i also am working on a 3 relay harness to connect to my speartech harness for control of my radiator fans. Next update will include the details about that...and much more!

Best,

Joey
Old 06-18-2014, 11:30 PM
On The Tree

Default UPDATE..Attention to Detail

Hey guys, got some more work done on the car...mainly little things, but progress none the less. Finished up my LS1 Radtior Fan Relay Bank. Came out pretty good.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Made a mounting bracket for the relay bank out of welded 16ga Steel Sheet Metal..then painted it in VHT Black Wrinkle Paint...the texture looks pretty cool.

[IMG][/IMG]

I think it looks pretty good, and should be able to route the wires nice along the factory harness postion. Relay is going too allow both fans to run at low speed (voltage is stepped down for each fan), then full speed for high temp situations.

[IMG][/IMG]

Starting looking into my clutch pedal situation.... Un-packaged my Clutch Master Cylinder... Removed the stock clutch master clyinder, and clutch pedal.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Its looking like i lucked out..the clutch master cylinder i got fits the stock rx8 pedal perfect...gonna workout nice and i get to retain factory pedal/reinforcement bracket.

[IMG][/IMG]

Also finally got around to mocking up my header reducers...they look great and nice quality at 20.00 bucks shipped from summitracing, 2-1/4 to 3 in.

[IMG][/IMG]

Fuel system consisting of corvette fuel filter/regulator, in tank high flow fuel pump, custom quick disconnect supply,return, and feed line. Mazda SST for fuel pump assembly.

[IMG][/IMG]

Plan is to run the return and supply line from the fuel pump assembly to the dual inlet side of the corvette fuel filter/regulator. Then single outlet side to the ls1 fuel rail. Nothing crazy.

Also finally got around to "looming" my battery reloaction cables..looks very nice in my opinion.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Speartech Harness is flawless...great quality product, everything labeled, instructions are easy to follow.. Should hopefully not be bad to figure out.

[IMG][/IMG]

Finally i knocked another thing off the list that i keep pushing back...my throttle pedal situation...I lucked out again, but it looks like i will be able to use my stock throttle pedal as well. Plan is to replace the little white shim in the pedal with a piece of equally thick steel sheet metal in a lever arm design...then i will just drill a hole in the appropriate spot of the lever arm and the throttle linkage can pin right in.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

This is the white "shim i am referring to that i will replace with a lever arm for the mechanical linkage..again im hoping it works, because i would love to retain the factory accelerator pedal along with the clutch.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I got this idea when i was doing research a couple days ago..i think this is it..
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ls1-build.html

Now the plan is to pull the motor, measure for stainless steel braided brake lines for ABS module relocation. Then Plumb my fuel system, wrap my headers, measure for a top radiator hose, and heater hoses. Permanently relocate my power steering module, fab up my intake with the MAF installed, make lever arm for throttle pedal, install clutch master cylinder/pedal, prep the engine bay for paint , and finally paint the engine bay. Not like there's nothing to do...lol Once bay is painted and looking good reassembly begins.
Ill update as soon as i can!

Best
Old 06-21-2014, 09:16 PM
On The Tree

Post Update...Nothing major, but progress

While im waiting on parts to get to me i went ahead and finished up my header reducers. Came out pretty good in my opinion.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Just started welding, but it didnt turn out that bad i dont think.

[IMG][/IMG]

Drivers side header reducer, mocked up and loosely bolted in place.

[IMG][/IMG]

Passenger side header reducer. Mocked up.

[IMG][/IMG]

As of now i just have to wait to collect some more parts, then ill have everything ill need to finish...until then i cleared up the garage so the roommates can finally use one of the bays lol.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-09-2014, 04:58 AM
Teching In

updates?
Old 07-09-2014, 09:01 AM
Teching In

HOLY excess spatter batman!

your welds look great, but that spatter...

and that cold lap...
Old 07-22-2014, 10:40 PM
Teching In

How goes the swap?
Old 07-24-2014, 10:01 AM
On The Tree

Nice very nice!
Old 07-24-2014, 12:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

You take damn good photos.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:42 PM
On The Tree

Updates will be coming soon...(next week or two) hopefully.

Ya haha i just started welding so there not the greatest lol

Swap is still chugging along...just got put on hold for a couple weeks do to friends having to use garage space for their move into town...once the garage is able to be utilized again ill update the build thread...Sorry to keep yall waiting!
Old 08-01-2014, 06:44 PM
Launching!

No worries man,nice progress you have here though !
Old 08-08-2014, 06:28 PM
Staging Lane

hey i used slp hi flow cats, vibrant ultra quiet resonators, and borla mufflers in my build and i absolutly love my setup. check out my build thread
Old 08-22-2014, 10:30 AM
12 Second Club

Awesome thread. I just picked up a complete LS1 and T56 combo from an 00 Camaro with PCM and harness. I also just found an 05 RX8 with a blown motor in good shape locally. Lots of good info in here I will be using!

Quick Reply: Lsx/T56 Mazda Rx8 Build Thread.. Pics inside