Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My project, a 1968 pontiac catalina with a C5R 427

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good job thus far man. I have a 68 LeMans myself.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Dammit every time i uncover something I find more work, serve me right for letting the car sit for 6 years without protection it from bugs and field mice.

I found 8 large nest inside the car, inside both door, 1 in the head liner, 1 under the rear seat, 2 in the trunk and etc.
Today I removed the dash to find room for the computer and found another one. I threw both hands in the air, packed up and took a shower, I'm done for the day

Not to mention more body work under the dash so far:

driver side under dash:

trunk supports:

I said it before and I'll say it again "if you store your car outside, protect it from pest" I'm suffering for letting it sit for 6 years. I did moth ball it and set off insect bombs from time to time but it wasn't enough.

Last edited by Tramminc; 07-22-2012 at 05:16 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I fear my '68 bonneville will be worse than that

I just pulled mine out of storage for the first time in nearly a year yesterday.

the gas tank straps rotted last year and it fell out. I put a 5 gallon fuel can in the trunk and ran rubber line along the frame rail so I could move the car. I pulled the mat off the trunk floor and the trunk is one big chunk of rust, it has to be replaced. The brakes go straight to the floor but at least they work. all the windows are difficult to move up and down now. the wing windows dont work. some lights just stopped working.

so many things that worked when I parked it from driver duty ~5 years ago and now there needs to be so much attention directed at so many things its overwhelming!

seeing your thread gives me motivation then I go look at the car and I lose most of it lol.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zigroid
I fear my '68 bonneville will be worse than that

I just pulled mine out of storage for the first time in nearly a year yesterday.

the gas tank straps rotted last year and it fell out. I put a 5 gallon fuel can in the trunk and ran rubber line along the frame rail so I could move the car. I pulled the mat off the trunk floor and the trunk is one big chunk of rust, it has to be replaced. The brakes go straight to the floor but at least they work. all the windows are difficult to move up and down now. the wing windows dont work. some lights just stopped working.

so many things that worked when I parked it from driver duty ~5 years ago and now there needs to be so much attention directed at so many things its overwhelming!

seeing your thread gives me motivation then I go look at the car and I lose most of it lol.
thanks for the pep-talk I feel better , I'm not a body guy, but I'll do my best in order to keep to cost down. Looks like another 5 - 7k to finish.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Don't like how the radiator hose are installed, but they will kink if ran tighter.go need to know how the power wires that go to the computer.

Old 08-26-2012, 03:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well the computer is mounted, tied 6 other places including under the dash but the neatest was above the heater box.

Slow progress
Old 08-26-2012, 03:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Off topic, the wife new Chevy Volt get 250 mpg

Last edited by Tramminc; 08-26-2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

had to remove the front drivers quarter panel to repair a large hole under the dash. good thing i did because there was another hole behind it that would've let water in during a rain storm.

Using body filler with metal in it.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:24 PM
On The Tree

Looking great man. Definitely want to see what this car looks like in the end. I have always loved the old pontiac big bodies.

James
Old 09-07-2012, 01:21 PM
Staging Lane

That reminds me of how I found a rust spot in a '70 Bonneville I owned once: I hit a puddle and a fountain of water busted through the floorboard and soaked my sister. She wasn't happy, but we all got a good laugh out of it.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow, how do you guys find the time to work on these car I, maybe get 4 -8 hours per week,

Old 10-22-2012, 08:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Gas tank is in and power wire ran to the front, I don't know what wire on the harness turns on the relay. I also have to figure on which wires turn the fans on.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:36 AM
Teching In

Nice build. Should be killer when finished!

From the pics I think you should look into your steam vent plumbing. Looks like you have the steam vent routed to the overflow tank, and that won't work. OE setup is steam vent to pressurized coolant tank. Some route it to the water pump, some to upper radiator hose, some to radiator.

Take a look at this thread for some coolant system info: https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...e-routing.html
Old 10-24-2012, 05:51 AM
Teching In

From the pics I think you should look into your steam vent plumbing. Looks like you have the steam vent routed to the overflow tank, and that won't work. OE setup is steam vent to pressurized coolant tank. Some route it to the water pump, some to upper radiator hose, some to radiator.

Take a look at this thread for some coolant system info: https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...e-routing.html
Old 10-24-2012, 04:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks
Old 10-29-2012, 08:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Roarrrr

Your right thanks
Old 10-29-2012, 08:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone where this orange plug goes, it on the drivers side, in the middle of the injectors
Old 10-29-2012, 08:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Installed the plugs, wires, bled the fuel line and found one of the injectors leaking. it was caused by the o-ring not seating, I removed the o-ring from the injector and straightened it out with a pair of needle nose pliers, not it seals.
I'm also looking into making a fresh air intake. problem is I'd hate to cut up the hood but I need the cooler air for the intake.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Template for an intake

Try not to laugh, it will be cut down more from the top to fit under the hood, looking something like this...
Old 10-31-2012, 12:53 PM
On The Tree

That plug goes to the purge solenoid if I remember correctly. That intake design is pretty sweet. Haven't seen anything like that before.

James

Quick Reply: My project, a 1968 pontiac catalina with a C5R 427