Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gas filler tube mod

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 06:17 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas filler tube mod

anybody with an older GM(running a stock sumped tank) ever thinking about cut down the original filler tube, and converting it to a newer screw-on vented plastic cap? maybe getting a filler tube from a pickup truck, and connecting it to existing tube with a rubber coupling.... my 71 tank always sloshes gas back up the tube past the cheap quarter-turn crappy metal cap. would also eliminate need to vent tank from below with an open hose
Old 03-30-2011, 07:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just make sure the filler tube end is not all banged out of shape, the ends usually get inverted inwards and cause bad sealing with the cap that is 40+ years old.. and get a new cap that has a good seal.. and straighten out the filler tube.

But, sure it will work. i used the one that came with the Impala tank.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:06 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

brand new, cheap chinese knockoff from ebay...cost me like 150 new i think....kickin myself sometimes....hahaha
gonna grab a filler from my boy at junkyard and get a rubber coupling and try it....
Old 03-31-2011, 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Which car models came with a vented gas cap? I'm right now deciding on how to vent my tank. I would rather use a vented cap than weld a fitting on the tank for a vent line.