Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS-1 steam pipe

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 04:38 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS-1 steam pipe

Where does the steam pipe plug into I saw a pic where one was plugged into top of water pump I do not see a fitting for that any help would be appreciated
Old 04-01-2011, 07:07 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wanderlodge
Where does the steam pipe plug into I saw a pic where one was plugged into top of water pump I do not see a fitting for that any help would be appreciated
There is a lot of information in this section specifically for how people have tackled this. Grab a drink, and search this section of the site for "steam" and choose titles only.

Regarding the waterpump, people drill and tap and use a fitting.

Another option is to buy a coupler that is plumbed into the upper radiator hose from Jags that run dot com. That piece has a fitting for the hose as well.

Alternatively, you can have your radiator modified to have a fitting that you can run the line to (what I have done).

Some people cap them off and claim to have no problems, but I didn't feel comfortable doing that.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I wouldnt cap it off..it just has to integrate back into the cooling system where there is constant flow.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

+1 on the don't cap them off comment. Connect to a high point anywhere high, ie; water punp, top coolant hose, radiator top nipple, secondary filler box if added...etc..

FYI, usually, when people discuss capping off the steam ports, they are referring to the rear steam ports. Capping the fronts will only lead to hot spots around the tops of #1 & #2 pistons.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,393 Likes on 879 Posts

You can also do this:

Andrew
The following users liked this post:
floridave (06-30-2019)
Old 04-02-2011, 09:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tapped into the top of the water pump since it is at the highest point. You can get the fitting from Oreillys auto parts in the brake fitting section. It is a 3/16" to 1/8"NPT brass fitting. The 3/16" end has a bubble so as a hose can be clamped onto it.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-03-2011, 08:16 PM
Teching In

Maybe I'm missing something here, but why do we need to route the steam lines into the water pump? Where do they normally go on a Firebird/Camaro/Vette/etc? Into the radiator? I just got a Mezeire race WP so I'm not too inclined to drill into it for these lines. Also, I have an LS6 with the blocked off rear steam line "ports". Is this ok? I would assume so since it came like this from the factory... motor will be stock except for a Torquer v.3/valvetrain upgrades/ATI damper and race WP.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,393 Likes on 879 Posts

Originally Posted by XCLR8TN
Maybe I'm missing something here, but why do we need to route the steam lines into the water pump? Where do they normally go on a Firebird/Camaro/Vette/etc? Into the radiator? I just got a Mezeire race WP so I'm not too inclined to drill into it for these lines. Also, I have an LS6 with the blocked off rear steam line "ports". Is this ok? I would assume so since it came like this from the factory... motor will be stock except for a Torquer v.3/valvetrain upgrades/ATI damper and race WP.
You don't have to go into the water pump, but it is an option. The F-bodies route the line to the radiator. On a Trailblazer it is routed into one of the heater houses (but the same side at the water pump works just as well, see the picture I posted). You can choose whatever works best for you.

Andrew
Old 04-04-2011, 12:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The reason it is there is so that an air pocket or water will not sit stagnant right there at the top of the head.
If it was capped off, either air (very bad) or water would just sit there, not moving, and eventually make a very hot spot.

so the heads have a port drilled to let coolant flow.
you only have to connect this line ANYWHERE where the coolant will want to flow to.
this can be the radiator, the water pump in, water pump out or in some cases, the heater hoses.
some people choose to do this as a tiny neat hardline. some opt for putting a nipple somewhere and running rubber line.

none of that matters as long as coolant can flow from the head there.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
You don't have to go into the water pump, but it is an option. The F-bodies route the line to the radiator. On a Trailblazer it is routed into one of the heater houses (but the same side at the water pump works just as well, see the picture I posted). You can choose whatever works best for you.

Andrew
I would like to re-ask this as well. I get that it can go any where but, in the stock form where did the line start at on the F-body engine. I Sold my 98 Z so I could do this swap therefore, I can not just go out in the shop and take a look.

Did they hook into the heater hoses or radiator hoses? Since all of the swaps are showing a lot of drill and tapping it seems like maybe the factory set up may be easier or neater???

Thank you!
Old 04-04-2011, 01:14 PM
TECH Resident

I believe the answer you're looking for is, it was connected to the throttle body for the pre-heating for colder climates. From there it ran to a nipple on the radiator. So basically, water is pumped through block, through steam lines, through TB, then to radiator. Most people disconnect the pre-heating of the TB and route it into the water pump, radiator, heater hoses, etc. but, I could be wrong.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:17 PM
Staging Lane

Thank you that makes sense. I do recall the coolant lines on the throttle body.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

OMG, how many times do the questions need to be answered? There are @ least (3) different posters where the questions have been answered in detail.

Oh wait...let me ask a question; where do you run the front steam ports to & why? I mean what do they do? What is the reason for them? Can I block them off? Why do some people connect them in the water pump & others to a line @ or near the top of the radiator? I mean what will happen if I plug them? I mean can I just leave the vents unplugged so that coolant can escape to atmosphere? I read all of the replies, but , can't find the answer worded exactly to how my LS1 was built by GM.

Come on people. The issue has been beaten to death.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:31 PM
On The Tree

...what he^ said
Old 04-04-2011, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sometimes you need to take a second look at things. No, hold on a third look - no wait a fourth, fifth, sixth etc.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1-450
OMG, how many times do the questions need to be answered? There are @ least (3) different posters where the questions have been answered in detail.

Oh wait...let me ask a question; where do you run the front steam ports to & why? I mean what do they do? What is the reason for them? Can I block them off? Why do some people connect them in the water pump & others to a line @ or near the top of the radiator? I mean what will happen if I plug them? I mean can I just leave the vents unplugged so that coolant can escape to atmosphere? I read all of the replies, but , can't find the answer worded exactly to how my LS1 was built by GM.

I put mine in the heater return hose, will that work

hahahhaha just bustin your ballls.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:00 AM
Staging Lane

I guess not everyone is as smart as you Sir! If you read the question completely instead of jumping to conclusions you would have seen that the question was asked where did the vent originate on the engine in the factory set up. The answers all mentioned that they can go any where.....no $hit Mr. Holmes but, I wanted to know just as the question was asked......how did the factory connect the steam line to the engine.

The question was finally answered and I thanked the generous person who did so. If you don't like the fact that someone asks a question than don't reply...Yes there is a Search feature that works nicely. However for those of us going about this the first time there are some things that come up during the build that raises questions. I log on to LS1tech to find the answers and what do you know someone has asked a different question pertaining to something that I will want to know very soon. So I/we click and start reading....

Since when is it a crime to ask a question? Maybe for me I did use the search feature and this thread came up and then I posted the question... Not everyone has been down this road before so it is all new....for those of you who have done it over and over I'm sure the questions are easy to answer. No harm done in asking a question! If you don't like the topic go read something else.

I noticed your location......"In a world without Petty judgment"......really?

For those that have taken the time to explain the situation I and others thank you.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:21 AM
TECH Resident

You'll take the time to write a novel like this but, won't just give an answer to some one asking? Why not just keep moving on and get back to your Club Penguin web site you idiot. Or does your parents know you're on the computer?
The following users liked this post:
floridave (06-30-2019)
Old 04-06-2011, 05:15 AM
TECH Resident

Just to clarify...this is why the bleeder pipe was put in place to begin with...(from another post)...
"GM's pink colored Dex Cool coolant has been used since the late 90s. It is sensitive to air pockets and has been known to congeal or turn gelatinous if the cooling system runs low on antifreeze/coolant. The LS1 designers knew these engines would be sensitive to air in the coolant system, so they devised a way to evacuate air from the block with the 1/4 inch steam ports or vents. There are four, two at the back of the block and two at the front. Because these engines are almost always installed at an angle, the rear two are often sealed or blocked, but the front two go to a high point in the cooling system, NOT to an unpressurized reservoir."
No DexCool...No Problem
Old 04-06-2011, 05:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well found my answer!

Quick Reply: LS-1 steam pipe