Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P1336 DTC Necessity?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 06:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P1336 DTC Necessity?

Will deleting this function from the PCM (programming it out) have any real functional impact on performance, diagnostic ability, economy, etc.?

A scan of my crate LS2 and mail order comptuer (PCM) revealed a P1336 trouble code which indicates the crankcase variation not learned. Although I've never heard of this before now, it seems this is common when a PCM is used that is not orginal to the engine. Funny how these little things keep creeping up... jeez. I would think there would be more chatter about this occurring in LS swaps.

I've searched and consulted the opinion from a few LS gurus. Basically it seems there is a significant difference in opinions regarding the importance of retaining this function. Other than programming it out, it seems you have to have a T2 scanner or take it to the dealership to have the re-learn procedures performed. My car is still in the build stage minus glass, lights, etc. so its not feasible to take it to a stealership. Even then it seems it can be tricky to clear this code.

I would appreciate any input from anyone that removed this during your tune / programming and or has a good explanation on why it should be retained.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't think a dealer could help you unless you since it's a swap vehicle. Their equipment will be looking for full emissions, bcm, all of that crap.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:04 PM
Staging Lane

Agree... I can only imagine the puzzled look on the service advisor if I were to show up with this thing. I'm sure there are techs that would be able to do this, but that would a crap shoot at best.

The PCM programmer has offered to delete this, but I don't want to have this performed until I understand what, if any, negative consequences there is to doing so.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

HP Tuners beta has the CPS relearn function in it. Pocket had an intermittent miss, at high RPM. He tried coils, plugs, wires, a new block and still had it. Did the relearn, and it went away.....you can tune the code to no report if you want.....

T,
Old 04-05-2011, 09:10 PM
Launching!

Case relearn is USUALLY resulting from the "donor" computer being originally from a 6 cylinder, or it can also be "requested" to throw the code by the tuner. Nelson tunes always require a CASE relearn when he ships computers out with his tunes, or at least he used to require them as of 2 years ago (last time I used them for anything). GM Tech II scanner required to perform the re-learn procedure. The HP Tuners ability to perform this function must be new, thats nice. Ill have to check that out

Quick Reply: P1336 DTC Necessity?