Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FAST-style sheet metal intake?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 03:29 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default FAST-style sheet metal intake?

This is probably a stupid question, but knowing how much I do about intake manifolds (zilch) I didn't know where-else to ask.

If you needed a low profile intake manifold similar in height to a fast 102, but you had +6-7'' (over a standard fast 102 height) that you could work with still before you ran into clearance issues, could one possibility be to make a sheetmetal intake that's similar to a fast, except the runners are elonged more (to increase their effective length) and you give yourself a larger plenum volume?

The only sheetmetal intakes I'm familiar with are the standard ones (i.e., runners heading straight up, or in a cross-ram type style), so I'm wondering if this would be doable or a really ****-poor idea (heat soak or performance issues?)
Old 04-06-2011, 10:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a little confusing... the way I understand it, needing a low-profile intake manifold, and having 6-7" over a standard Fast 102, are exact opposites. Do you have the room for a tall intake manifold, or do you need a low-profile manifold?

If you're thinking of a manifold that is the same design as the Fast 102, LS1, LS6, etc... but taller and with a larger plenum volume, take a look at the truck intake manifolds. They are the same style, but taller.

Otherwise, check out this one Edelbrock Pro-Flo XT. This may be the one you are describing that has the runners heading straight up. (It's the first one listed on the link)
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...chevy-ls.shtml
Old 04-06-2011, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

i have run into a picture of an intake like your talking, it actually looks like a standard ls6 or fast design, but made out of sheetmetal
Old 04-06-2011, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

look under hoganracingmanifolds.com. go to the catalog. theres a picture of it under the lsx section.

sorry im on an apple and dont know how to post a pdf.file...
Old 04-06-2011, 01:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FastKat
This is a little confusing... the way I understand it, needing a low-profile intake manifold, and having 6-7" over a standard Fast 102, are exact opposites. Do you have the room for a tall intake manifold, or do you need a low-profile manifold?

Originally Posted by zacht
look under hoganracingmanifolds.com. go to the catalog. theres a picture of it under the lsx section.

sorry im on an apple and dont know how to post a pdf.file...
The guy on the right I'm presuming

I tried to word this without sounding like I"m too off my rocker.

My engine combo needs a custom intake (RHS talldeck+mozez heads), so it's got to be a sheetmetal. Runners need to be approximately 10 1/2 to 12'' in length

Using a "standard" sheetmetal design would have the runner going up WAY too tall and be unusable in my application (too tall)

One suggestion I've been mulling over is doing cross-ram style intake manifold. The only problem is it's like 50% of people say crossram will work, 50% say it might work but not allow the engine to operate to the best of its abilities. no general concensus so that makes me take a second look at other ideas.

A FAST style intake would fit my application engine bay area (but not the engine - and even if it did, it would be far too restrictive). I've got ~11'' from an LS1 valley pan to my roofline, so with the tall deck + mozez heads assume 10''.

So basically I'm wondering what would happen if one built a sheetmetal fast style intake (like that hogan's one) that was approximately 9'' tall - one could make the runners much taller and get to the desired runner length and still have it fit since the runners arn't shooting straight up, but rather up, over, and back down.

Assuming it's built properly (Beck will be doing my intake when the time comes) is there any reason why a fast-style one, but with larger/longer runners would be a bad idea?
Old 04-06-2011, 09:53 PM
On The Tree

No thoughts from anybody?
Old 04-08-2011, 02:05 AM
TECH Resident

Try posting this(or link) in the tech forum...might get more replies and insite
https://ls1tech.com/forums/advanced-...ring-tech-107/
Old 04-08-2011, 09:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about the FAST truck intake?
Old 04-08-2011, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ss454327
What about the FAST truck intake?
??? not sure what your talking about. but i get what your saying how "taller" will lead to longer runners. i mean...the fast is already at what??? 8in runner length?
Old 04-09-2011, 12:00 AM
On The Tree

Maybe call Hogan?? It's kinda what they do right?
Old 04-09-2011, 06:40 AM
TECH Regular

call Hogans or Wilson manifolds.... they make intake manifolds...
Old 04-09-2011, 07:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Try the advanced forum over on Speedtalk.com.
Lots of guys there, that "think outside the box"..
Old 04-11-2011, 01:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

cool stuff.. id like to see the build. (yours and the intake)

theres a lot of 'off the wall' stuff in this section, but i think the gen4 tech would be a better option, if only because thats where all the big boy engine builders are (the ones who design builds like yours, with sheetmetal intakes)
Old 04-12-2011, 06:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zacht
??? not sure what your talking about. but i get what your saying how "taller" will lead to longer runners. i mean...the fast is already at what??? 8in runner length?
FAST makes an intake for trucks that is taller than the regular 102. They claim it puts down the most power of all their intakes.

http://www.fuelairspark.com/1/FS/Intake/Default.aspx

Quick Reply: FAST-style sheet metal intake?