Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

69 camaro ls1 4l60

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 01:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 69 camaro ls1 4l60

I am in the process of this conversion but am running into several obsticles. first I am trying to get some measurments to fabricate a crossmember if anyone has them? Second I am looking for a economic way to run the stock cable driven speedometer. Third I bought a set of Doug's headers for the ls1 conversion and find they run the pitman arm. Anybody have any ideas, I'm thinking of grinding the pitman or shimming the motor mounts.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i bought a universal adjustable crossmember from transdapt, theyre cut to fit and it worked well for me. the only economic way that i can think of to reuse the cable speedo is to buy a cable-x conversion box. i think its cheaper to go with an electric gauge. as far as the headers go i have dougs on my 72 nova and they clear everything except the passenger side upper a-arm tab the i had to trim. i shimmed my frame mounts 1/4 inch up and everything seems to fit fine. as you know my 72 nova and your 69 camaro share frames and front suspension so what has worked for me should in theory work for you. hope this helps. if you need any pictures of how things fit just let me know.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:36 AM
Teching In

Yeah shimming the mounts at the subframe was my next step. I tried shimming them at the motor that didn't seem to help plus I couldn't get the center bolts to line up. The problem with the Header at the pitman really seems to be a sideways problem and even if I go up I think it is still going to rub but I am going to give it a try anyway.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:54 PM
Teching In

Cool swap. Can't wait to see the end result.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:31 PM
Staging Lane

I used a factory turbo 400 crossmember and reversed the mounting bracket. Drilled two new holes and used two of the original mounting ones.