Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 swap in 66 impala. Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 09:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls1 swap in 66 impala. Questions

I am doing a ls1 swap in my 66 impala 2 door hard top. I bought a wrecked 99 trans am with an autp. When i bought my 66, it came with a 5 speed out of a 91 camaro. I guess my question is if it will work or not. what trannys have other people used?
Old 04-19-2011, 09:55 PM
Teching In

You can use the t5 that came with your car. I would be concerned that it is not an ideal application in such a heavy car nor is it the strongest trans in the world. You will find that a lot of folks on here use the t56 but that is an added expense. Good luck with your swap and keep us posted with how it turns out.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by spdracer256
You can use the t5 that came with your car. I would be concerned that it is not an ideal application in such a heavy car nor is it the strongest trans in the world. You will find that a lot of folks on here use the t56 but that is an added expense. Good luck with your swap and keep us posted with how it turns out.
yeah that is what i have heard to but it was free so... I plan on gettin a t56 but just want to get the thing running before the winter. take it to a couple cruzes. who or where can i find info on workin on my harness. dont really want to buy one that is done
Old 04-19-2011, 10:07 PM
Teching In

His trans is a t5 since it came from a 91 camaro. You'll have to search for info on wiring... I was prepared to buy on but I may try to do it on my own when I go to switch to fuel injection.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:47 PM
On The Tree

i think you better try to sell that t5 and go to a t56. in a heavy impala, with a ls1 engine, it won't live very long. a t5 just isn't strong enough for your project. you can get some cash for it and put that towards something that will live behind that ls1. t56 or keep your automatic with the ls1.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by techrunner
i think you better try to sell that t5 and go to a t56. in a heavy impala, with a ls1 engine, it won't live very long. a t5 just isn't strong enough for your project. you can get some cash for it and put that towards something that will live behind that ls1. t56 or keep your automatic with the ls1.
I would just put the auto in there but i have a guy that already want to buy it for 700 so that pays for me buying the whole car so... Your prolly right though and i shouldn't even waste my time with the t5. I might have found a mid 90s firebird with t56 for sale so i will keep my fingers crossed
Old 04-20-2011, 06:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Them T5 are just not rated to handle the Weight and Torque of the car and engine. The T5 got such a low Torque spec of around 285 to 300 Lb Ft /Tq. depending on what year it was (WC or NWC)

So, depending on what you really want.. I'd say put the Auto in for now.. and covert to a T56 later.. But if you do use it. you will have to really be careful on the go fast pedal. (no fun !).

I've already done in two of them on my 84 Camaro.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:14 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bczee
Them T5 are just not rated to handle the Weight and Torque of the car and engine. The T5 got such a low Torque spec of around 285 to 300 Lb Ft /Tq. depending on what year it was (WC or NWC)

So, depending on what you really want.. I'd say put the Auto in for now.. and covert to a T56 later.. But if you do use it. you will have to really be careful on the go fast pedal. (no fun !).

I've already done in two of them on my 84 Camaro.
Well i really like all the input guys. i will have to agree. I really cant afford puttin in a bunch of trannys cuz im just a poor college kid so i will just wait until i find a t56. i have a lot of other stuff i can work on in the mean time

Quick Reply: ls1 swap in 66 impala. Questions