Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Somewaht newbie needs help on conversion

Old 04-23-2011, 09:15 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Somewaht newbie needs help on conversion

Please help a guy who is totally up in the air about what to do.

I have a 1968 Camaro that now has a 396 (somewhat modified),Tremec tko600, .373 12 bolt. When I built this car I was sorta wishing that I was putting a LS motor in the car but went ahead with the 396. After a couple of years of driving it now I`m really wishing it had an LS. I love the car but the big block is somewhat restrictive on longer trips and sometimes I feel shell shocked after a couple of hours driving it.

I went to my local salvage yard yesterday and found 2 possibilities to begin my conversion.
1- 6.2 out of 2003 Denali, iron block truck motor, LQ4 is what I can find that probably came in these. No harness or computor,but motor is all there. 81,000 miles for $800.
2- 5.3 iron block truck motor that I think was 2007 year.Again,the engine is complete,but no computor or harness. it has 61,000 miles and its $750.

I have done one LS1 conversion before in a 55 Chevy about 4 years ago so I somewhat know about whats involved, but these 2 possibilities are somewhat different. (Probably no assy will work on either).

I would like around 350 -450 horsepower , not a rumping thumping motor like I have now, something that idles good but will perform decent when called on and still get good fuel mileage.

Several questions:

1- Which engine? If not these 2, then what should I look for?
2-What modifications to engines before install?
3- What problems in getting my TKO to fit?
4- Economical way to put accys on motor?
5- Oil pan for 68 Camaro?
6- Fuel delivery, in tank pump?
7- Computor and harness missing, where can I find?

I am wanting to keep my budget under $5000, that`s why I am not starting with a new LS3 or LS7 crate engine.

I have been searching this forum some but cannot come to make a decision on where to start. I need to start buy getting an engine but that is the question.

Thank`s to anyone who has been here and learned from past conversions and is willing to share.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Post this in the conversion section and you will get more response...
Old 04-23-2011, 08:57 PM
Teching In

I have a 2008 5.3L in my 67 C10 and I love it. The power is very respectable without the emissions/cats. I got mine with 12K miles with a 4L60E for $950. The only thing it didn't have was the throttle pedal and the computer, so I got those from Speartech, who did my tune and harness.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:35 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

learn from my mistake, try to buy an engine that is complete as possible, including harness and computer. All accessories and fittings. To get this pieces one by one will kill the budget fast.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:50 AM
TECH Resident

Your best bet would be to find a LS1 complete pullout. You can get em off here or eBay or source a salvage yard.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1- Which engine? If not these 2, then what should I look for?
- any of the GEN III / IV will work, If your looking for VVT/DOD and other gas saving engines, then look one of those..

2-What modifications to engines before install?
- doing a Cam swap while the engine is on a stand would be good idea now. Head. have them refresh with springs and maybe machined a few off and a thin gasket to raise compression.

3- What problems in getting my TKO to fit?
- would defer to someone who had done it, but off the top of my head, need the correct bell housing, flywheel, and Throwout bearing setup.

4- Economical way to put accys on motor?
- pick up a complete pulled engine with acc, wire and PCM.

5- Oil pan for 68 Camaro?
- take of look at the aftermarkets (mast, holley).
- Champ and autokraft for steel
- notched F-Body or CTS-V OEM pans

6- Fuel delivery, in tank pump?
- After market can be costly (Rick's, Valley) or Spectra tanked with pump.
- TanksINC conversion.

7- Computor and harness missing, where can I find?
- EBay or Craigslist.
- Forum Sale sections.
- Vendors: Speartec, S&P, etc (see sponsor section.

view the FAQ for cheap items to look for ($1500 swap thread is good for you).

Good luck
p.s try asking your questions in smaller post in specfic area. You will get better reply and details. Most don't have a lot of time to write a book and we have all stated this before..

BC
Old 04-25-2011, 11:41 AM
Teching In

Thank`s Guys, Reason for long post was wanting to make a good decision on which engine of the 2 I looked at to purchase and get started, or whether to keep looking. I like the 6.0 over the 5.3 mainly because it has better torque numbers right away, but was unsure if either option was the best one to go for.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

All good advice above. I would go for the 6.0 simply because you're used to the big block. If you can find a 6.0 LQ9, you're already at 350hp, a bit more with tune and headers.
Definitely buy a motor with accessories, wiring, ecu, pedal, tac, even fuel pump if possible. That stuff will nickle and dime you.
Since no one has chimed in on the trans, yes, it will bolt up. You need a 621 BBC bell housing (you probably already have it). An LS7 pilot bearing and any LS1,2,6,7 flywheel/clutch combo. You can use a hydraulic or mechanical linkage wil a longer throwout bearing.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:16 PM
Teching In

I ran across a chart somewhere on this site that listed specific cars and trucks by year and which engine they came with but cannot find it again. Can someone point me in the right direction. I would like to find a lq9. Are there any specific things on the motor that I can look for to identify it? Most salvage yards just say its a 6.0 and maybe what vehical it belongs to. Thank`s for your help.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Probably going to need a drive shaft and shifter in the budget.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I always use the following. But there are many..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_LS_engine
or
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Vortec_engine
Old 04-25-2011, 06:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by tsquared38016
Probably going to need a drive shaft and shifter in the budget.
Shifter should be ok since he's using the trans he already had. And you can position the engine so that the driveshaft fits too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Somewaht newbie needs help on conversion